What is the best game of MAGS April?

Frightfest: Dracula vs Frankenstein vs The Mummy by Slasher
7 (63.6%)
Research Resident by FunkPanzer
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: Mon 16/04/2018 01:14:48

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the results have been carefully counted.

The winner is:

Congrats, Slashman. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for May.

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please vote using the poll above.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: April 15th

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic: Three's a Crowd
This month's guidelines were set by Slasher

In this game you will need three characters (as in three's a crowd). Each character may have his/her own agenda or they may all have the same agenda...Either way ONLY ONE character can be chosen for the game.Think Maniac Mansion.

You could make a game where you just change the character view... but NO NO NO... The games must all be slightly different ie some text changes at the very least to differentiate between the characters. You may even choose to make three different games, one for each character chosen...

Whatever you decide to create have fun and I wish you all the best of luck.

Ending:  March 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Slasher

Come on guys... 48 views and no takers as yet....?

I'v got my notepad and pen out and I am sketching out a few ideas...

Not quite sure what I'll be doing yet, but as soon as the 'magic idea' hits me it will be steamroller Slasher (laugh)

Hope to see entries here soon.... (nod)

KyriakosCH

Hm, well, i might try, but i am not making any promises ^^
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Slasher

After deliberating for a few hours and having a few choices I decided to create a game based on this:

He who dares....(laugh)

Slasher

Have spent the last few hours setting up the game and have come up with this intro screen:

in production

Looks like I'm committed now (laugh)

Mandle

Haha... classic Slasher-esque game by the loks of it!

I'll be sitting this one out... still gotta finish the last one and, as the story is complete in my mind, I have to get it done!

WHAM

Going to discuss ideas for this with a friend over the weekend and see if we come up with something that works.

Friend is out of the picture for now, but I have a small idea brewing I might go for. Will have to see how the early planning turns out.

I'm out. :(
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Funkpanzer

Still working out the concept but I think this is going to be a botany based survival game.

[imgzoom]http://www.charlietwitch.com/ags/reRes/biodome_pre.png[/imgzoom]

I realize I could have given them all the same body and not needed to make 3 completely unique walk cycles but where's the fun in that? ;-D

Funkpanzer

Still not really a "game" yet but the limb damage, and skill check systems are in place! You'll be tasked with documenting 15 plant specimens in a neglected research facility all while braving mortal danger and, depending on who you play as, personal limitations!

horusr

Working on something! I hope it fits to theme. There is 3 character you can select and 1 NPC. The only difference is views and monologues actually.

It is very simple game without puzzles that inspired by saw series. You all are kidnapped and 1 of you has to decide who will die. You learn their relationships and thought on each other while progressing.

The problem is I don't have any PC to create the game, so I need someone who have one and want to be my teammate.

Also I work very slow on art, but since there are not much art to do, I can complete it before deadline. It is day 3 and this is what I have for now. Work in progress background and 1 of 4 character's portrait(which sucks):

[imgzoom]https://i.hizliresim.com/m2p614.png[/imgzoom]

Slasher

Looks like we have two nice entries on the boil (nod)

My own game is starting to shape up...

HanaIndiana

Some great ideas this month :grin:
I like the security camera idea! That's what I wanted in my Wilfred game... several rooms you can see via camera. But I ran out of time.
Funkpanzer... botany based, and mortal danger? I'm in!
And as far as monsters go, I'm team Dracula all the way. He's such a snazzy dresser.

Slasher

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Fri 09/03/2018 19:00:28
Some great ideas this month :grin:
And as far as monsters go, I'm team Dracula all the way. He's such a snazzy dresser.
You bloodsucker you (laugh)
Why not help poor Frankenstein become handsome and find true love? (laugh)
Or what about helping The Mummy dress in something dandy?

Your choice (nod)

Oh, and a Werewolf makes some guest appearances (nod)

Game progress: 70%

DBoyWheeler

If two's company and three's a crowd, then what are four and five?  Nine!

(Sorry, it had to be said.)

Anyway, best of luck to all who enter this month's MAGS competition.

Slasher

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sun 11/03/2018 11:52:27
If two's company and three's a crowd, then what are four and five?  Nine!

(Sorry, it had to be said.)

Anyway, best of luck to all who enter this month's MAGS competition.

Actually "It's a PARTY" (laugh)

Slasher

After Dracula hears howling:

Game Progress: 80%

CherishKuddleMonster

I would like to join also, I'm a bit late and never made a game before but this would be good practice!

Slasher

Go for it CherishKuddleMonster...there is still time...

You don't need a complex game or lots of rooms...just a good story and game play based on the topic... (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Tue 13/03/2018 01:39:33
Go for it CherishKuddleMonster...there is still time...

You don't need a complex game or lots of rooms...just a good story and game play based on the topic... (nod)

And for a first attempt it doesn't really even have to be that.

Just get started and don't be embarrassed if it's not all that great. It's first steps that matter and they are fun to look back on later.

Slasher

Would you trust a monster? (laugh)

Game progress: 92%

Slasher

FOUR is definitely a PARTY (laugh)

Who will you help to achieve his wishes and have his curse lifted: Dracula, Frankenstein or The Mummy?

And mostly importantly....will you find Transylvanian Gypsy, Romona:  Alchemist, Mystic, Clairvoyant and Prophesist?

Game progress 100%

Now it's test, tweak, test, tweak, test, tweak....

Slasher

Thought I would show a video as a taster (laugh)

Mummy, Werewolf and the 9-legged Spider:

Game progress: on target...

Funkpanzer

I am nowhere near finished but I did manage to make some walking animations yesterday!

Meet Rane, the anxious herbalist, Leeo, the bewildered biologist, and Jani, the fearless ecologist.

selmiak

Looks more like running than walking, but for that is is really cool! Especially the heir of the right gal. Those pockets in her jacket.... :-D

Slasher

Quote from: selmiak on Sun 18/03/2018 08:14:07
Looks more like running than walking, but for that is is really cool! Especially the heir of the right gal. Those pockets in her jacket.... :-D
More like 'marching', perhaps they are on an errand of mercy (laugh)

Either way I think they look good (nod)

Slasher

Can you ever trust a monster? See the clash of these monster titans as they vie for their own curse lifting cure where loyalty and friendship seem to vanish!
FrightFest: Dracula vs Frankenstein vs The Mummy is being tested and tweaked.

Storyline:
During a heavy storm, Dracula, Frankenstein and The Mummy have broken out of Arkatem monster asylum and are making their escape. They plan to find Transylvanian Gypsy, Romona who an inmate said will be able to lift their curses. Of course, three is a crowd so you must decide who you wish to help get his curse lifted.

Screenshots

The Mummy comfronted by a Piranhadon... a prehistoric nightmare!

The Mummy looking for items he needs to lift his curse in the land of the evil dead!

Video teaser (old edition)

Specs:
320 X 200
32 Bit color
Direct3D 9 hardware acceleration
Speech Font: Slightly larger due to some other games having speech fonts I can't really see very well.

HanaIndiana

These are looking really great everybody!

Slasher

Hope people are busy with their MAGS entry?

Would love to see others updated entries (nod)

Hope you make next months topic that is right up my street, HanaIndiana (laugh)

Slasher

Can you ever trust a monster? See the clash of these monster titans as they vie for their own curse lifting cure where loyalty and friendship seem to vanish!

Storyline:
During a heavy storm, Dracula, Frankenstein and The Mummy have broken out of Arkatem monster asylum and are making their escape. They plan to find Transylvanian Gypsy, Romona who an inmate said will be able to lift their curses. Of course, three is a crowd so you must decide who you wish to help get his curse lifted.

Screenshots

Dracula hears a Werewolf

The Mummy comfronted by a Piranhadon... a prehistoric nightmare!

The Mummy looking for items he needs to lift his curse in the land of the evil dead!

Specs:
320 X 200
32 Bit color
Direct3D 9 hardware acceleration
Speech Font: Slightly larger due to some other games having speech fonts I can't see very well.

Download FrightFest: Dracula vs Frankenstein vs The Mummy. V2

horusr

Actually i never touched it again. For 2 days i was so sleepy, and then realized nobody is interested in helping because nobody answered. Felt bad and stopped

Shadow1000

I played Frightfest as Dracula and completed it. However, it crashed when I played as Frankenstein and the Mummy
Spoiler
When I was throwing the orange at the spider
[close]

Slasher

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 23/03/2018 00:14:10
I played Frightfest as Dracula and completed it. However, it crashed when I played as Frankenstein and the Mummy
Spoiler
[close]
A schoolboy error I'v spotted 8-0

OK. Re-scripting it and will upload new build around 7:30am today.

Sorry to anyone else who caught this crash...Please play revised build (when ready) and I'll send you an orange, on the house (laugh)

Cheers ;)

New build uploaded: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2246/

Fingers crossed ;)

Funkpanzer

Sorry you couldn't find a teammate this month, horusr. This topic was definitely something fit for a group project... :P

Congrats on finishing, Slasher! This is right up my ghoul infested alley!

Work is kind of crazy but I'll at least submit the first room of my prequel to a game I never released... making that future game now a sequel... and this one the first?

In the meantime, here's Leeo taking a stroll through an unfinished background.

Slasher

Funkpanzer... I really hope you can do enough for an entry...

Good luck ;)

Shadow1000

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 23/03/2018 05:51:20
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 23/03/2018 00:14:10
Spoiler
[close]
A schoolboy error I'v spotted 8-0

OK. Re-scripting it and will upload new build around 7:30am today.

Sorry to anyone else who caught this crash...Please play revised build (when ready) and I'll send you an orange, on the house (laugh)

Cheers ;)

New build uploaded: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2246/

Fingers crossed ;)

Great. Will check it out when I get a chance.

I'm curious which character other players chose first. As I said, I did Dracula.

selmiak

This is looking nice Funkpanzer. Very colorful. I want to play it now!!! ;-D

Slasher

FrightFest: couple of tweaks added..

Slasher

Did I just hear a pin drop (laugh)

Come on guys.... Nose to the grindstone ;)

Slasher

I'm worried that those who have entered will probably jump out at the last moment with a great game....

I really hope they do....

Come on... stop teasing (laugh)

Only a few days to landing time (laugh)

horusr

It is the last day. What happened to games? Where are games?
Waiting...

Slasher

Maybe they are busy on other things...

I wonder what HanaIndiana will come up for this month?

I wait in anticipation (laugh)

Funkpanzer

I am thinking of posting my incomplete game, which I've done in the past for MAGS, and probably will later tonight (eastern time!) but it's more of a tech demo than anything. Hopefully it's still fun for some of you!

Slasher

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Sat 31/03/2018 20:27:22
I am thinking of posting my incomplete game, which I've done in the past for MAGS, and probably will later tonight (eastern time!) but it's more of a tech demo than anything. Hopefully it's still fun for some of you!
As long as it's playable go for it (nod)

selmiak

HanaIndiana

Yes, please post it Funkpanzer!
I submitted a topic for next month, but I haven't heard anything from the Host, so I'm not sure if things are on pause at the moment.

Funkpanzer

RESEARCH RESIDENT

Choose 1 of 3 researchers, tasked with documenting genetically enhanced plants in Dr. Supreme's state of the art, off-world biodome.

DOWNLOAD: ResearchResident.zip (34mb)

As it stands, there is little to no gameplay once you leave the lab but you're free to wander around the facility and imagine it's potential as a game! Each character has slightly different interpretations and interactions with their surroundings. There are 3 (or 4, I can't remember!) of the 15 specimens to analyze. All discovered specimens will be added to your codex. For the best experience, I'd recommend playing around in the lab with each character before venturing out into the biodome.

Known issues:
- Pearls (medication) don't seem to remove limb status effects :(
- You can sometimes accidentally consume non-consumables so try not to eat anything inedible!
- Score is meaningless
- The water is invisible so imagine your character reacting to (and drowing and all that good stuff) the invisible, rushing rapids that you cannot see, as well as any invisible rocks or pathways that I did not have time to script
- The water shut-off will animate even if you fail the engineering check
- Waldo thinks there are thirty specimens for some reason, I assure you there aren't
- There are a few instances where Leeo is referred to as Theo

Help:
Spoiler
The console in the shed is an engineering check, so if you character fails at turning off the water, keep trying until it works or take a Pep to give them a better chance.
[close]
Spoiler
The valve next to the console is meant to lock the water on or off but currently does nothing except potentially injure the player as it isn't linked up yet
[close]

MAGS Host

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please vote using the poll above.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: April 15th

Funkpanzer

Just finished playing through Frightfest with the Mummy. Nice job, Slasher!

For some reason I got Frankenstein's ending cinematic but it was still fun. Some of the cursor hotspots were a bit hard to find but otherwise great job!

Slasher

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Thu 05/04/2018 19:12:47
Just finished playing through Frightfest with the Mummy. Nice job, Slasher!

For some reason I got Frankenstein's ending cinematic but it was still fun. Some of the cursor hotspots were a bit hard to find but otherwise great job!
I guess you found the flower...

Well, you just can't trust a monster when it comes to getting in first (laugh)

Riaise

I just got around to playing the entries. Great work, both of you! Slasher, your game has a great concept and the puzzles are good. I like how the characters all end up helping each other out in the end. Funkpanzer, the artwork and animations in your game are great, and the story seems interesting. It would have been great to have been able to play a bit more! :)

Slasher

Thank you, Riaise.

Funkpanzer... You should have finished the game completely, ran out of time I suppose? (nod)

Enjoyed it in most parts that were playable ;)

Shame :(

Shadow1000

I played both games. My thoughts are similar to Riaise's.

- Frightfest was a GREAT adaptation of the theme. Good puzzles and overall a lot of fun to play.
- Research Resident was also a good adaptation but I had a difficulty understanding what was going on. The graphics are well done and it looks like it could be a promising start of a good game.

I voted Frightfest as it was more complete and overall a more enjoyable experience.

Blondbraid

I agree with Riaise and Shadow1000, while both games were good I ultimately voted for Frightfest since it had good puzzling and felt like a whole game.
Not to say Research Resident wasn't good either, I liked the visuals and characters, but it was hard to understand and it felt like there was too much missing.
I'd love to play the finished version of it though!

HanaIndiana

Really enjoyed playing this month's entries!
FunkPanzer, thanks for posting even though you hadn't completed. I really enjoyed your art and animations. The story was interesting, and I enjoyed playing even if it was just the beginning.
Frightfest was also fun to play. I liked the storyline and the character's "special powers" (I played Dracula). The puzzles were really easy, but it was still fun to play and see where the story takes you.
Nicely done! I still need to go back and play as Mummy and Frankenstein. My vote goes to Frightfest.

Slasher

Thanks guys (nod)

There are times when puzzles can be really difficult to solve and at times have ridiculous solutions, but not always.

I generally go for more 'adventure'...

Watch out for my entry this month (April), there are quite a few obstacles to overcome (laugh)

Game progress: 96%

Don't forget to leave a review/comment on the games page.

Hopefully FunkPanzer and the rest of you will enter (nod)

Slasher

Thanks guys (nod)

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the results have been carefully counted.

The winner is:

Congrats, Slashman. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for May.

P.S. I just realised the poll question said April instead of March. My bad.

Riaise

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk