What is the best game of MAGS April?

Frightfest: Dracula vs Frankenstein vs The Mummy by Slasher
7 (63.6%)
Research Resident by FunkPanzer
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: Mon 16/04/2018 01:14:48

Slasher

I'm worried that those who have entered will probably jump out at the last moment with a great game....

I really hope they do....

Come on... stop teasing (laugh)

Only a few days to landing time (laugh)

horusr

It is the last day. What happened to games? Where are games?
Waiting...

Slasher

Maybe they are busy on other things...

I wonder what HanaIndiana will come up for this month?

I wait in anticipation (laugh)

Funkpanzer

I am thinking of posting my incomplete game, which I've done in the past for MAGS, and probably will later tonight (eastern time!) but it's more of a tech demo than anything. Hopefully it's still fun for some of you!

Slasher

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Sat 31/03/2018 20:27:22
I am thinking of posting my incomplete game, which I've done in the past for MAGS, and probably will later tonight (eastern time!) but it's more of a tech demo than anything. Hopefully it's still fun for some of you!
As long as it's playable go for it (nod)

selmiak

HanaIndiana

Yes, please post it Funkpanzer!
I submitted a topic for next month, but I haven't heard anything from the Host, so I'm not sure if things are on pause at the moment.

Funkpanzer

RESEARCH RESIDENT

Choose 1 of 3 researchers, tasked with documenting genetically enhanced plants in Dr. Supreme's state of the art, off-world biodome.

DOWNLOAD: ResearchResident.zip (34mb)

As it stands, there is little to no gameplay once you leave the lab but you're free to wander around the facility and imagine it's potential as a game! Each character has slightly different interpretations and interactions with their surroundings. There are 3 (or 4, I can't remember!) of the 15 specimens to analyze. All discovered specimens will be added to your codex. For the best experience, I'd recommend playing around in the lab with each character before venturing out into the biodome.

Known issues:
- Pearls (medication) don't seem to remove limb status effects :(
- You can sometimes accidentally consume non-consumables so try not to eat anything inedible!
- Score is meaningless
- The water is invisible so imagine your character reacting to (and drowing and all that good stuff) the invisible, rushing rapids that you cannot see, as well as any invisible rocks or pathways that I did not have time to script
- The water shut-off will animate even if you fail the engineering check
- Waldo thinks there are thirty specimens for some reason, I assure you there aren't
- There are a few instances where Leeo is referred to as Theo

Help:
Spoiler
The console in the shed is an engineering check, so if you character fails at turning off the water, keep trying until it works or take a Pep to give them a better chance.
[close]
Spoiler
The valve next to the console is meant to lock the water on or off but currently does nothing except potentially injure the player as it isn't linked up yet
[close]

MAGS Host

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Research Resident by FunkPanzer

Click on the game title to download.

Voting

Please vote using the poll above.

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite
* don't forget to leave a comment and rating on the AGS games database

Voting Ends: April 15th

Funkpanzer

Just finished playing through Frightfest with the Mummy. Nice job, Slasher!

For some reason I got Frankenstein's ending cinematic but it was still fun. Some of the cursor hotspots were a bit hard to find but otherwise great job!

Slasher

Quote from: Funkpanzer on Thu 05/04/2018 19:12:47
Just finished playing through Frightfest with the Mummy. Nice job, Slasher!

For some reason I got Frankenstein's ending cinematic but it was still fun. Some of the cursor hotspots were a bit hard to find but otherwise great job!
I guess you found the flower...

Well, you just can't trust a monster when it comes to getting in first (laugh)

Riaise

I just got around to playing the entries. Great work, both of you! Slasher, your game has a great concept and the puzzles are good. I like how the characters all end up helping each other out in the end. Funkpanzer, the artwork and animations in your game are great, and the story seems interesting. It would have been great to have been able to play a bit more! :)

Slasher

Thank you, Riaise.

Funkpanzer... You should have finished the game completely, ran out of time I suppose? (nod)

Enjoyed it in most parts that were playable ;)

Shame :(

Shadow1000

I played both games. My thoughts are similar to Riaise's.

- Frightfest was a GREAT adaptation of the theme. Good puzzles and overall a lot of fun to play.
- Research Resident was also a good adaptation but I had a difficulty understanding what was going on. The graphics are well done and it looks like it could be a promising start of a good game.

I voted Frightfest as it was more complete and overall a more enjoyable experience.

Blondbraid

I agree with Riaise and Shadow1000, while both games were good I ultimately voted for Frightfest since it had good puzzling and felt like a whole game.
Not to say Research Resident wasn't good either, I liked the visuals and characters, but it was hard to understand and it felt like there was too much missing.
I'd love to play the finished version of it though!

HanaIndiana

Really enjoyed playing this month's entries!
FunkPanzer, thanks for posting even though you hadn't completed. I really enjoyed your art and animations. The story was interesting, and I enjoyed playing even if it was just the beginning.
Frightfest was also fun to play. I liked the storyline and the character's "special powers" (I played Dracula). The puzzles were really easy, but it was still fun to play and see where the story takes you.
Nicely done! I still need to go back and play as Mummy and Frankenstein. My vote goes to Frightfest.

Slasher

Thanks guys (nod)

There are times when puzzles can be really difficult to solve and at times have ridiculous solutions, but not always.

I generally go for more 'adventure'...

Watch out for my entry this month (April), there are quite a few obstacles to overcome (laugh)

Game progress: 96%

Don't forget to leave a review/comment on the games page.

Hopefully FunkPanzer and the rest of you will enter (nod)

Slasher

Thanks guys (nod)

MAGS Host

The voting is over and the results have been carefully counted.

The winner is:

Congrats, Slashman. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for May.

P.S. I just realised the poll question said April instead of March. My bad.

Riaise

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk