Proper Character Scaling???

Started by Vverano7, Tue 20/02/2018 02:10:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Vverano7

Hi. I have begun drawing game scenes and have been testing various heights for the character. What heights/sizes should a 320 by 180 scene be using for the character?

(I thought that around 60 pixels for height seemed right, but in retrospect, this is nearly 1/3 the height of the scene) ?????

Thank you!

CyberUncleCat

I had the same problem. I think its usually about 1/4 of height of the screen. What's cool with AGS is that you have this cool option with Walkable Areas called Scaling - there you can manualy change size of your character by changing values (%s of original size without losing quality). Very useful tool.

Yitcomics

Here's a link that might answer your question (see EDIT 3 of Misj' post) : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52252.msg636514877#msg636514877

There's also tons of other useful info on drawing background in there, so check it out.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: CyberUncleCat on Tue 20/02/2018 08:01:50
I had the same problem. I think its usually about 1/4 of height of the screen. What's cool with AGS is that you have this cool option with Walkable Areas called Scaling - there you can manualy change size of your character by changing values (%s of original size without losing quality).

I would not say it happens without loosing quality, because it often does, the lower resolution your game has - the higher the visual impact may be.
The size of a character is really a game design preference. If you have a real life objects in the room (like the actual room in a house), then you probably should try to keep characters at realistic proportions compared to the background.

E: Then again, if the character covers too much of the screen, there are numerous solutions here, like making character translucent when you hover mouse over (to see what's behind). Or maybe you could hide the character in particular rooms and make it look like you see through character's eyes.

CyberUncleCat

Hmm point taken:).

Very useful link Yitcomics!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk