Which is the best Lovecraft-inspired adventure game?

Started by KyriakosCH, Sat 08/10/2016 12:56:47

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrighter

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Tue 25/09/2018 13:13:25
My favorite is Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth, and I KNOW it's not really an adventure game, buuut it kinda is (up until you get the gun, at which point it kind of spirals down anyway).

I don't play it yet, but most sites file it under "adventure". Maybe is similar to Silverload? Come to think, it was a bit lovecraftian too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lauMQeyBoss

_

Danvzare

Holy crap, the thumbnail on that video is terrifying! :shocked:

mkennedy

Some upcoming Lovecraft related titles on steam:
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
Call of Cthulhu
The Sinking City
Saint Kotar: The Yellow Mask
Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

Mind you these titles aren't available yet though you can get a demo for Stygian and I believe Gibbous also has a demo available.

Mandle

I've watched a few let's plays of Stygian: It looks absolutely beautiful and the story is unexpected: Cthulhu has risen, The Great Old Ones have returned, and the entire town of Arkham has been ripped from reality and now exists in some nightmarish dimension. There, the last survivors of humanity, presumably, are trying to hold onto life and sanity.(Not a spoiler, the player knows all this from the start of the game.)

I did think the rather repetitive traditional RPG turn-based-combat could have been handled with a bit more originality but I guess I'd probably enjoy it if I was playing the game and not just watching.

rongel

My favourite is Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth as well, it was suprisingly faithfull to Lovecraft, usually the games add strange elements to the mix, that don't fit the mythos or atmosphere. Even further away from adventure games is Alone in the Dark, but the first ones capture that same cosmic horror -feeling.

Quote from: mkennedy on Wed 26/09/2018 20:25:54
Call of Cthulhu
The Sinking City

It's really impressive that so many Lovecraft -themed games are being produced right now. Stygian looks interesting, need to try the Demo. And haven't tested Gibbous yet either!

Hopefully The Witch House will be added to some lists next year!
Dreams in the Witch House on Steam & GOG

mkennedy

Quote from: rongel on Thu 27/09/2018 07:16:20
My favourite is Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth as well, it was suprisingly faithfull to Lovecraft, usually the games add strange elements to the mix, that don't fit the mythos or atmosphere. Even further away from adventure games is Alone in the Dark, but the first ones capture that same cosmic horror -feeling.

Quote from: mkennedy on Wed 26/09/2018 20:25:54
Call of Cthulhu
The Sinking City

It's really impressive that so many Lovecraft -themed games are being produced right now. Stygian looks interesting, need to try the Demo. And haven't tested Gibbous yet either!

Hopefully The Witch House will be added to some lists next year!

You can rest assured that I am certainly looking forward to it!

BunnyShoggoth

Gibbous! I'm sure of that, though it's not released yet ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk