Has any horror adventure game actually scared you?

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 09/03/2018 23:20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobo

No, not really, which is probably one of the reasons why I don't care much for the genre. I mean, I'm not immune to jump scares and some scenes can make me feel disgusted, but I don't think I've ever been truly scared or terrified by a game. But my sample size is also rather small, so who knows, maybe there are some games out there that cater to my fears and phobias. However, I do enjoy a horror game/book/movie if horror isn't the only thing that defines it and it's otherwise well made.

As for the one life, limited saves etc. then I'm not a fan of that. I personally have never played a game where permadeath or limited save slots have somehow improved my playing experience. Besides, you can actually play every game this way, simply don't save. Multiple saves are also useful in case a save file gets corrupted or the game is full of bugs or unwinnable by design.

KyriakosCH

Jump-scares (and having stuff following you/survival) are cheap tricks, imho :)

Something can cause horror if it makes you feel uneasy about knowing what is going on, in the crucial way that (consciously or not) you are nearing the point of changing some core view on something fundamental.
At least in serious literature this can happen (eg De Maupassant even has this as his topic; what horror is).
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 16/03/2018 11:36:31
having stuff following you/survival) are cheap tricks, imho :)

Bloody effective though...

Danvzare

All horror games have scared me. I'm very easily frightened.
But I've always found that non-horror games with one horror level, always provide the most horrifying experiences. The Thief series, and Vampire: The Masquerade â€" Bloodlines are good examples.

TheFrighter

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 16/03/2018 11:36:31

Something can cause horror if it makes you feel uneasy about knowing what is going on, in the crucial way that (consciously or not) you are nearing the point of changing some core view on something fundamental.
At least in serious literature this can happen (eg De Maupassant even has this as his topic; what horror is).

Uhm, sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmtbSWsdCzM

_

KyriakosCH

^I haven't played that, but have read the short story. Re the actual short story, it is bad that a good idea was written in an (imho) quite poor way :/ :)

The game looks better, tbh :D

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 16/03/2018 13:42:09
Re the actual short story, it is bad that a good idea was written in an (imho) quite poor way :/ :)

Harlan Ellison's writing style reflects his personality exactly:

This is one thing he did often.

He was always looking for ways to deconstruct the craft of writing, and even rebel against it and sabotage it at times.

It mentions in the about article that he hated computers, and yet it seems he was head of development and writer on the game "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream." from what I have heard.

KyriakosCH

Mandle

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 16/03/2018 14:55:09
^Iirc the computer AM is voiced by him too :)

Yup... And very over the top and creepy too... Love it!

TheFrighter

It do the work very well! (nod)

It's one of the rare game that made me cry sad tears... the horror is so deep and cruel.

_

Blondbraid

Quote from: TheFrighther on Fri 16/03/2018 18:40:07

It do the work very well! (nod)

It's one of the rare game that made me cry sad tears... the horror is so deep and cruel.

_
It's one of those games I've thought about playing for ages, but I've just not found the time for it.

Otherwise I agree with Crimson Wizard, the chase scene in Monkey Island 2 was a bit scary, I think it's mainly due to the gameplay mechanics.
I'd also say the Jorry Demo had some creepy atmosphere and in combination with knowing the protagonist could die, it worked pretty well.

TheFrighter

Even to be perfectly  aware that you are doing something totally cruel is a very horrorfying experience. An example is this old game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtjAsQIPauY

_

KyriakosCH

Harvester was a cool game ^^

Colonel Buster Monroe! :=

gravendev

Does Silent Hill (the original one) count as a horror adventure game?

ShiningRice

"Alone in the dark" the music I think is what brought the scare.
"5 days a stranger" I am not sure why this game was scary, but for me it was

Gord10

Yes. 5 Days a Stranger and Scratches are two examples I can remember. I'm sure there have been more games that scared me during playing, but I can't quite remember them.

Also, Silent Hill games.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

SinSin

All of the Chzo Mythos series got me frightened.
Currently working on a project!

ManicMatt

Who said Thief? Yes! In Thief 3, there was a level where it was a haunted ship or something, and I was scared by the noises and vibe. I creeped through the entire level.. 
Spoiler
only to realise i could have ran through it, not a single enemy in the level.
[close]

nihilyst

Weren't there zombie-like creatures on the ghost ship?

But while we're at it, Thief 3 features the Orphanage level in which you enter the memories of the children in the orphanage. That shit got me scared.

CherishKuddleMonster

The game White Day and that Indonesian horror game Dreadout,
Spoiler
only the part that caught me off guard was the second part where Ira took the key out of her demon mouth, and the ending varies but
it's creepy, I don't know to laugh or to be scared of this game if you ever played or seen it you know what i mean.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk