Manic Miner for VIC-20

Started by Kweepa, Fri 16/03/2018 13:37:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

I thought I'd pimp my latest creation here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mq4n40TOpc
Download
It's a fairly faithful port from 48k Spectrum to 16k VIC-20. :)
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

CaptainD

That's awesome Kweepa!  I love the fact that people are still developing games for the old 8-bit systems.

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 16/03/2018 14:20:52
That's awesome Kweepa!  I love the fact that people are still developing games for the old 8-bit systems.

I love it too, but a bit ignorant on how this works.

Do people play it on an emulator on modern computers or do you actually need the original hardware?

Cassiebsg

Yeah, no idea what VIC-20is, but loved the game! :) Good work there either way. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kweepa

You can play on an emulator, or the original hardware.
(The Commodore VIC-20 is the 1981 precursor to the Commodore 64. It was the first computer to sell 1,000,000 units. It's also the first computer I owned := ).

Cassiebsg

Ahhhh.... I had a C64 (after the Z-Spectrum 48k). ;-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Radiant

Any chance you could play the entire Halls Of The Mountain King instead of just two lines? :grin:

Kweepa

Blame Matthew Smith!
If you have the entire Hall of the Mountain King written out as note frequencies, I could. I hate transcribing music.

selmiak

I love those old computers. Great work!
How long did it take you to make this?
Would this run on the original hardware? What storage medium did the vic-20 use?

Crimson Wizard

Never seen this one tbh, or perhaps don't remember. It looks like wackier version of Lode Runner.

There is something in these old games that make them feel like adventure, regardless of primitive looks and bizzare enemies. Especially if the maze is done right.

There was this ZX Spectrum game I had but could not beat back in early 1990-ies, called "Elven Warrior".
Found a ZX Spectrum emulator few years ago, and I finally was able to complete it. It was surprising to know that it still was interesting to play.

Spoiler

Gameplay video (not mine):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkFMP03nbok
[close]

Jim Reed

Nice going there Kweepa! And there I was thinking I was the only one around here messing with the commodores
https://i.imgur.com/3kyx1Xu.png

Kweepa

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 17/03/2018 11:21:21
How long did it take you to make this?
Would this run on the original hardware? What storage medium did the vic-20 use?
It took about a month to make...
Yes, it would run on original hardware. Nothing fancy required.
The VIC used carts, tapes and disks. In 1982 I owned one cart, and the disk drives were expensive, so I pretty much used tapes. Memory expansion was really expensive - 16k was 175 quid - so I just had an unexpanded, 3.5k, VIC.

CW, it was hugely popular in the UK, maybe not so much outside the UK. It was 'inspired' by Miner 2049er for the Atari 800.

Nice graphics, Jim! Is there a game associated yet?

Jim Reed

There's no game involved, just a mockup with me trying to see if I could fit a 3 layer parallax on the 64. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a c64 game gfx, so if you ever work on one, look me up.

LimpingFish

Quote from: Kweepa on Mon 19/03/2018 14:52:14
CW, it was hugely popular in the UK, maybe not so much outside the UK. It was 'inspired' by Miner 2049er for the Atari 800.

Yeah, MM and Jet Set Willy were the Spectrum games to play back in the day. And Trashman. And Chuckie Egg. There's such a distinct British-ness to a huge chunk of the Spectrum's library, that (though not being British myself) is quite appealingly unique. Nostalgia for the format never really stuck with me, though, despite it also being hugely popular in Ireland, probably because I only ever played on friend's systems, and never owned one myself. I grew up in arcades, and only really became an "home" gamer in the days of the Atari ST.

Anyhow, great work, Kweepa! Playing in now in VICE.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Two Tales

This brings back memories. I played it to death on the Amstrad CPC 464.
Nice work Kweepa.

Kweepa

Limper, Chuckie Egg was probably going to be my next effort on the VIC. I love that game!
2T, yeah, the Amstrad version is a really nice port.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk