Making a game like Harvester too ambitious?

Started by CherishKuddleMonster, Mon 19/03/2018 13:37:09

Previous topic - Next topic

CherishKuddleMonster

Recently started playing FMV games and was really inspired by Harvester, Phantasmagoria, Night Trap and things in that nature, I can 3d model, I create human characters  I may post on here for your opinion later on. I can not draw very well however. I was thinking about how to go about making a game like this, they used live actors and pre rendered backgrounds, I'm only one person, It would be a little odd for me to green screen myself as all the characters.

I don't know, maybe I should start on something small? And get it as close as possible to the Harvester art style as I can. Looking for opinions thanks....

AnasAbdin

Hi CherishKuddleMonster and welcome to the forums ;-D
I was preparing to suggest an answer for you as I was reading along. Until you suggested my answer:

Quote from: CherishKuddleMonster on Mon 19/03/2018 13:37:09
I don't know, maybe I should start on something small?

I think this would be the best start. At least to get your head around AGS. A few rooms with different sizes, light sources etc.. few characters (even one is enough!) and see where you can go from there (nod)
Looking forward seeing your work!

Danvzare

It would be a little odd for me to green screen myself as all the characters.
No, it wouldn't be odd. As a matter of fact, that could be the gimmick. A strange town where everyone looks very similar. A bit like League of Gentlemen.
Of course, having more people than just yourself would be helpful. Perhaps you could get your family and friends involved.

Overall, I think it should be quite possible for you to do it. Perhaps you could get something together to prove to yourself and others that you can finish what you've started, and then ask for some help on these forums.

But like AnasAbdin says, you should start off small. Put this idea on the shelf for now, and come back to it with a little more experience. Trust me, you will appreciate doing that.

CherishKuddleMonster

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Mon 19/03/2018 13:48:54
Hi CherishKuddleMonster and welcome to the forums ;-D
I was preparing to suggest an answer for you as I was reading along. Until you suggested my answer:

I don't know, maybe I should start on something small?

I think this would be the best start. At least to get your head around AGS. A few rooms with different sizes, light sources etc.. few characters (even one is enough!) and see where you can go from there (nod)
Looking forward seeing your work!

Thanks for reply

CherishKuddleMonster

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 19/03/2018 13:51:36
It would be a little odd for me to green screen myself as all the characters.
No, it wouldn't be odd. As a matter of fact, that could be the gimmick. A strange town where everyone looks very similar. A bit like League of Gentlemen.
Of course, having more people than just yourself would be helpful. Perhaps you could get your family and friends involved.

Overall, I think it should be quite possible for you to do it. Perhaps you could get something together to prove to yourself and others that you can finish what you've started, and then ask for some help on these forums.

But like AnasAbdin says, you should start off small. Put this idea on the shelf for now, and come back to it with a little more experience. Trust me, you will appreciate doing that.

Thanks I'll do that I have an idea for a small game, and I'll start working on it right away!

Cheers!

Cassiebsg

Or if you can't find other actors to make more parts, then you could play the player character and use the 3D characters for the NPCs... ;)
I'm though not overly glad for FMV games, but that's just me.

Anyway, start small yes. And if you need some incentive try a MAGS (monthly competition) once you feel comfortable enough with the basics of AGS. It's a great way to see how much you can do in just one month! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

cacaro

The real question: is your mind twisted enough to produce something like Harvester? :-D

CherishKuddleMonster

Quote from: TheFrighther on Tue 20/03/2018 12:10:00

Is there any AGS games with FMV????

_

That's a good question! I'm not sure if Adventure Game Studio is even capable of video playback.

CherishKuddleMonster

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 19/03/2018 19:29:17
Or if you can't find other actors to make more parts, then you could play the player character and use the 3D characters for the NPCs... ;)
I'm though not overly glad for FMV games, but that's just me.

Anyway, start small yes. And if you need some incentive try a MAGS (monthly competition) once you feel comfortable enough with the basics of AGS. It's a great way to see how much you can do in just one month! (nod)

That's a good idea using three characters and myself to film, I am still learning 3d and still have to learn to animate which may take another year to perfect. Though I have thought about cheap motion capture such as Ipi soft, which is pretty afforable, and or using Iclone rigging my characters bringing in there and buying the mocap suit.

Not sure yet.

CherishKuddleMonster

Quote from: cacaro on Tue 20/03/2018 13:00:42
The real question: is your mind twisted enough to produce something like Harvester? :-D

Not sure. I love dark games stories etc. though.

Mandle

Quote from: CherishKuddleMonster on Tue 20/03/2018 22:06:35
That's a good question! I'm not sure if Adventure Game Studio is even capable of video playback.

It is!

Here's an FMV game I made in AGS:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2118/

It uses a plugin which I believe is in the game folder.

cacaro

Quote from: CherishKuddleMonster on Tue 20/03/2018 22:09:15
Not sure. I love dark games stories etc. though.

Well, Harvester is more in the WTF-were-they-smoking-when-they-made-this category.

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 21/03/2018 02:58:00
It is!

Here's an FMV game I made in AGS:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2118/

It uses a plugin which I believe is in the game folder.

That looks cool. Any plans to expand the concept in the future?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk