Members Profile show Modules/Plugins they have made.

Started by Slasher, Thu 22/03/2018 11:45:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hi

I was wondering if we could have what Modules/Plugins each member has made, along with links on each members profile.

Could this be done? It would also have a direct link to the Module/Plugin for easy access.

What do you think?

AGA

The only way I can see this (easily...) working is if people add their modules to the games page.  I can easily enough add a new game category of 'Module/Plugin', which seems an easy enough workaround.  Otherwise we'd have to find a whole other way of people adding and maintaining a list of their modules, which would be more effort than it's worth.

It's actually not unknown for people to add modules to the games page, so I don't see why people shouldn't just do that going forward.

Crimson Wizard

IMHO that would be much more useful if the Script Modules wiki page was kept up to date.

That way you also won't have to remember who made the module (and beginners would not even know for what person to look in that case).

selmiak

CW has a point there, but the wiki needs volunteers that always keep it up to date and are invested enough in the plugins to scan the forums for news and write wiki articles. Without some incentive I don't see that happening much. My suggestion is, if we get a new category of 'Module/Plugin' for the AGS database, an unmissable reminder to also add the module to the wiki (and the forums) with the link CW just posted would be nice. Maybe it is annoying, but it could work better when it happens once you set the category to module/plugin as a popup and also AGAIN a message when clicking submit my game/module. Either again on that page or on the "Module submitted" page you get after submitting it. AGA could show his brave coding skillz and make the link on that page link to a "create new wiki page" page that already has the name of the module just submitted in the link so it is more convenient for the module author. Writing a module ís hard, having to write a summary is too when you are a coder and not a presenter, posting this to a forum thread, the ags database and the wiki is just tedious (but also just copy+paste in the end).
maybe someone has an even better idea how to streamline these 3 ressources!

Thinking about it, the advenaced tech forum has a warning in red when opening a new thread, something like this for the modules forum with a reminder of the new database entry possibility and a reminder for the wiki (including the link to the modules overview) should also go there.

morganw

It might be good to let the editor list and download compatible script modules (minimum version check). Involving a wiki just adds more resources that may be out-of-date.

eri0o

I would like to add that login to the wiki is not something anyone can do

selmiak

every forum account user should be able to log into the wiki and edit text there afaik...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk