Games that move to tears

Started by TheFrighter, Thu 29/03/2018 18:22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrighter

Videogames often provide us many emotions. Comedy games make us laugh, action games give us excitement, horror games can be scary, and so on...

But how many games can move to tears? Yes, usually we players people are tough guys without weakness ((laugh)), but sometimes a game with a good story can break the ice on our heart...

I'm refferring to games as I have no mouth and I must scream (the charachter have to sacrifice to success), or Shadow of Colossus (when you realize what are you really doing when kill the giants it's hard to remain indifferent), or the chapters 1-2 of Syberia (some scenes are very poetic in their sadness).

And you?
Are you even moved to tears by any games?

_

Click'd

Life Is Strange might have been one. Don't remember exactly. What I can say is that there, and in Mass Effect 1, it took me a while until I could make certain decisions.

Cassiebsg

Uhm... I either played too little games or I'm devoid of such feelings in games... can't remember of a single one. :~(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Radiant

KyriakosCH

Delphine's "Another World" was very important for me, when i was 13. Because i completely identified with the main character; i felt i was banished in another world. My parents divorced that year, and there were other issues too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqz5nfocLrA
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

AnasAbdin

SilverSpook

A few people have said they have cried (one almost threw up, and another had to stop playing for a while, then come back later) while playing Neofeud. This reviewer highlights some of quite serious themes that bring up these emotions.

QuoteThis game is difficult to talk about because it is difficult to play. Not in the traditional sense; it's a Sierra-esque point-and-click adventure with pretty solid controls and charming, hand-painted art. It's difficult to play because it forces you to think about the economic and social impact that negative race relations in the United States have on people.

It doesn't have anything to do with me, so why should I care? I do care, but Neofeud showed me that I should not only care, but act.

It gave me chills and made my stomach roll. This idea as robotics and cybernetic enhancements as metaphor for race is the bedrock of Neofeud's story. It made me uncomfortable to listen to and watch...but that is the entire point. I can't turn a blind eye in the game, and I certainly can't turn a blind eye in real life.

James Spanos def said he cries every time in Primordia when a particular character dies. :) (I talk to him about that, as well as why that character dies the way that he does this podcast)

ManicMatt

Is Crispin dying a spoiler or something that happens earlier on?

Blondbraid

I was also moved by the first to Syberia game (I also felt on the verge of tears when the third game ended. Not because it was a sad ending, but because they seriously had the gall to end the game on a terrible cliffhanger.)

Otherwise, I think Prince of Persia from 2008 almost made me cry because of what happened in the end
Spoiler
The prince has spent the whole game trying to imprison the evil god Ahriman together with the princess Elika after Elika's father had set him free.
But it is revealed that Elika had died long before, and her father only freed Ahriman in exchange for Elika being brought back to life.
So the moment Ahriman is re-imprisoned, Elika dies, and in his grief the prince chooses to release Ahriman once more, undoing everything for the sake of Elika.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU1t2SGx35g
[close]

I also think Valiant Hearts is a deeply touching game, and a much more human take on war than many "realistic" war games out there.

Haggis

There are definitely games which have made me cry with rage... (Pro Evo online you bastard >:().

I am quite a weeper when it comes to movies - the last one I remember bringing me to the tears was the Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfB9kebFNI (don't read the YouTube comments - rife with spoilers)

Kumpel

Brothers - Tale of Two Sons was amazing and brought me literally to tears :~(
Brothers

Also there was this inuit game called "Never Alone" which also had some emotional impact on me.
Never Alone

And finally the playstation exclusives "Journey", "Ico" and "Shadow of the Colossus" are emotional masterpieces in game history.
Journey
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus

If the new game of these developers "The Last Guardian" has the same effect on players, I cannot say as I haven't played that one yet.
The Last Guardian

Blondbraid

I was reminded that Spec Ops: the line is one of the most gut-wrenching games I've played,
that has some pretty intense portrayals of ptsd and the horrors of war.

Plus I saw it was currently free on Humble Bundle.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/spec-ops-the-line
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46420.400

nihilyst

Quote from: Kumpel on Fri 30/03/2018 08:55:38
And finally the playstation exclusives "Journey", "Ico" and "Shadow of the Colossus" are emotional masterpieces in game history.
Journey
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus had a PS4 remaster just a month ago, and oh boy, is it beautiful. They stuck very close to the original experience (even keeping lots of the flaws), but instead of just upscaling the old graphics and putting in some new textures like in the PS3 HD collection, they basically redid the entire thing. I've played Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2, the PS3 and now again on PS4, and yes, it is one of the most majestic and haunting games I know.

Riaise

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 29/03/2018 18:49:08
Uhm... I either played too little games or I'm devoid of such feelings in games... can't remember of a single one. :~(

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :-D

Danvzare

Quite a few games have moved me to tears, but the one that instantly comes to mind is Goodbye Deponia. That ending... I think it will sit as my number one ending for a long time. (nod)

Klatuu

And don't forget "To the Moon" :~(

Yitcomics

Can't remember if there's any adventure games that made me move to tears, but since I played a lot of jrpg.
Tales of Xillia 2 and Final Fantasy X, both of them made me cry like a baby :~(

Hobo

For some reason I feel the urge to make a game about moving (to) tears...

It usually takes a fair amount of time to really connect to characers and feel for them, at least for me. For example, the Blackwell series lasted for 5 games over a decade, so I'd imagine that quite a few people were feeling rather emotional at the end. AnasAbdin mentioned Cross Stitch Casper, but are there any other shortish AGS games that manage to evoke strong feelings?

KyriakosCH

The game has to be the army marching over your bridge, and making it collapse due to the vibration. (nod)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Mr Underhill

A part near the end of Journey. First and - IIRC - only time in a video game, but oh boy. Shivers and goosebumps and tearing up. :-[((nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk