Previous topic - Next topic

Babar

Bastion got me a knot in my throat near the end
Brothers near the ending was similar
The Walking Dead Season 1 as well
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Stupot

I don't remember if a game has ever made me cry due to any sad storyline. I feel like it probably has happened but if it has I can't recall it at this time. Final Fantasy 7 definitely got me emotional just simply based on how mind-blowing and amazing it was but (and I still, to this day, have never finished it - sometimes I cry about that fact).

Yitcomics

Quote from: Stupot on Thu 05/04/2018 23:35:37
I don't remember if a game has ever made me cry due to any sad storyline. I feel like it probably has happened but if it has I can't recall it at this time. Final Fantasy 7 definitely got me emotional just simply based on how mind-blowing and amazing it was but (and I still, to this day, have never finished it - sometimes I cry about that fact).

What! 8-0, Stupot you've got to finish it before the remake comes out, FF7 was so awesome it even changed Tim Schafer mind about RPG  (nod).

Mandle

The ending of The Blackwell Series always chokes me up, especially if I play through the entire series first and reexperience the full character arcs.

The ending of Tales made me tear up. I do believe it is quite a touching ending but for me part of it could have also been the 3 years of working on the game and finally finding out what happens at the end.

A certain part of Rogue State made me cry, mainly because it was so unexpected in a strategy sim to find an emotional scene, and also the voice acting was so spot on.

All AGS games. I can't remember any others but I mostly missed the '90's for gaming and mostly played FPS during the Naughties.

("I Have No Mouth..." did provoke emotions for me but what I mostly remember is anger and shock moreso than sadness.)

CherishKuddleMonster

The first and second Walking Dead by TellTale, I cried when
Spoiler
little Clem had to kill Lee.
[close]
And the second one which ending depends. The third one not so much wasn't a fan at all. But will be playing the final one.

Also the game The Cat Lady, the ending made me tear up it was beautiful to see Susan come so far in the game from trying to take her own life to becoming strong.

Those are the only games I can think of.

NickyNyce

I still cry to this day, on the inside, because I no longer make games. The pain is real

Danvzare

Spoiler
Quote from: CherishKuddleMonster on Thu 12/04/2018 12:47:14
The first and second Walking Dead by TellTale, I cried when little Clem had to kill Lee.
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot about that one. Yeah, that made me cry too. Although I don't think that I made Clem kill Lee. I think I got her to just abandon him, because I didn't want her to have to live with having killed Lee.
It was so long ago though that I played that game, that I might be mis-remembering that. Was that an option?
[close]

CherishKuddleMonster

Spoiler
To kill Lee? Yes, I think you can ask Clem to shoot you, or you can tell her to leave.  There might be more endings though. That's just my playthrough :-D
[close]

Babar

I realise that the title of this thread means people should be careful when entering, but still, there isn't a need to make the spoilers SO obvious!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Click'd

After a while you should expect everyone to have read/watched/played/listened (to) things. Otherwise, where would it stop? Spoilering The Empire Strikes Back after almost 40 years? Citizen Kane?

To clarify: Of course I'm against spilling secrets on purpose to ruin someone's experience. There just has to be a cutoff point.

Snarky

No, there's no cutoff point: it depends on context and on the cultural currency of the thing you're spoiling. We don't do away with spoiler warnings for The Empire Strikes Back because it's old â€" we do away with them because it's so famous that we can assume everyone knows it (or doesn't care).

But not a lot of works achieve that kind of fame. For adventure games, in these circles you probably don't have to worry about giving away the ending to Monkey Island 2 or the "twist" in QFG4, but you really cannot assume that everyone has played The Walking Dead or the Blackwell series.

We have spoiler tags on these forums. Use them.

Radiant

Soylent green is people!!!

Stupot

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 12/04/2018 19:30:23
...you really cannot assume that everyone has played The Walking Dead...
I haven't yet got around to playing TWD yet but fully intend to (it's sitting on my desktop waiting for me to decide I have the time) so, yeah the above post was definitely a spoiler for me. That said, I'm pretty forgiving... I mean it's the zombie apocalypse. Sometimes nice people have to kill other nice people.

Danvzare

Quote from: Babar on Thu 12/04/2018 17:52:33
I realise that the title of this thread means people should be careful when entering, but still, there isn't a need to make the spoilers SO obvious!
Alright, I've put my whole comment in spoiler tags. But the game is six years old. If you haven't played it yet, intend to play it, and haven't heard about that ending, then you need to stop living under a rock and learn some time management. (No offence Stupot.)

I remember having that ending spoiled by Telltale Games themselves, when they stated why they didn't include Lee in Poker Night at the Inventory 2. And that was only a year after the game was made.

Also, I read somewhere that getting spoilers, can actually make you enjoy something more. I don't know if that's true, but I've certainly never had an experienced ruined by knowing an ending. Not even the twist ending of The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, which was spoiled for me years before I even knew it was a book. >:(

CherishKuddleMonster

Quote from: Cl... on Thu 12/04/2018 17:56:20
After a while you should expect everyone to have read/watched/played/listened (to) things. Otherwise, where would it stop? Spoilering The Empire Strikes Back after almost 40 years? Citizen Kane?

To clarify: Of course I'm against spilling secrets on purpose to ruin someone's experience. There just has to be a cutoff point.

I wasn't trying to upset anyone I was just talking..Sorry.

CherishKuddleMonster

Quote from: Stupot on Fri 13/04/2018 01:27:57
Quote from: Snarky on Thu 12/04/2018 19:30:23
...you really cannot assume that everyone has played The Walking Dead...
I haven't yet got around to playing TWD yet but fully intend to (it's sitting on my desktop waiting for me to decide I have the time) so, yeah the above post was definitely a spoiler for me. That said, I'm pretty forgiving... I mean it's the zombie apocalypse. Sometimes nice people have to kill other nice people.
Sorry....

Click'd

Quote from: CherishKuddleMonster on Fri 13/04/2018 23:55:22
I wasn't trying to upset anyone I was just talking..Sorry.
My post was not directed towards you.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 13/04/2018 13:19:33
Quote from: Babar on Thu 12/04/2018 17:52:33
Alright, I've put my whole comment in spoiler tags. But the game is six years old. If you haven't played it yet, intend to play it, and haven't heard about that ending, then you need to stop living under a rock and learn some time management. (No offence Stupot.)

I remember having that ending spoiled by Telltale Games themselves, when they stated why they didn't include Lee in Poker Night at the Inventory 2. And that was only a year after the game was made.

Also, I read somewhere that getting spoilers, can actually make you enjoy something more. I don't know if that's true, but I've certainly never had an experienced ruined by knowing an ending. Not even the twist ending of The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, which was spoiled for me years before I even knew it was a book. >:(
Sometimes I wonder if we are too hung up about spoilers in today's society, it certainly wasn't considered a problem a hunderd years ago, just look at this cover for Robinson Crusoe (spoilers for a 298 year old book):
Spoiler
[close]
They practically spelled out the entire story on the cover, yet it didn't stop the book from becoming a bestseller.

From my experience, stories that rely entirely on an unforeseen and surprising plot twist tend not to be very good stories, and as they say, "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey".
Truly great stories are entertaining even if you know how they will end.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 14/04/2018 09:46:25
Truly great stories are entertaining even if you know how they will end.

Depends on the genre I would say. I wouldn't read a murder mystery if someone had already told me whodunnit.

(And I much better enjoyed reading Robinson Crusoe without knowing if he ever made it off the island or not until the end.)

TheFrighter

In "drama" games it is more probable that a charachter will die, as in a thriller someone will be killed. But you can't tell how the player react to the death. For example in Still Life I remained indifferent.
_

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk