TOOL: Dialog Designer - Version 1.3.0 (2017-05-24) - Direct Editor Export

Started by AJA, Sun 13/12/2009 00:17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Agree, that would be great! But in that case I think it should be open-sourced.

LostTrainDude

Not sure why I'm getting this error whenever I try to open the help file (both from the plugin and from the actual folder where the executable is)

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: LostTrainDude on Tue 30/05/2017 14:47:31
Not sure why I'm getting this error whenever I try to open the help file (both from the plugin and from the actual folder where the executable is)

Try doing following:
1) Find the help file where you installed the tool (should be called Something.chm).
2) Open file properties. Find "Unblock" command. Depending on version of Windows its location may be different, but I think it's usually on the first tab, near access settings.

LostTrainDude

I may just be super-blind but I can't seem to find an "Unblock".

I checked the help file from a previous version of the plugin (which works, btw) and the only difference I could spot was in the Details\Attributes.
The previous one had "AI" and the new one had just "A".

A quick search for the ATTRIB command turned this up
Quote-I Not content indexed file attribute.

So I just unchecked that accordingly but still doesn't work.

All the other options and permissions are the same and I should have Administrator rights, anyway.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

eri0o

Hey, is there plans to open source this tool or integrate it into AGS itself? I really want to use it but I don't want to risk having no compatibility with future AGS releases.

AJA

At least the source should be accessible here: https://bitbucket.org/AJA/dialogdesigner but no work has actually gone into cleaning it up for public consumption, so expect comments written in Finnish. :P

The editor plugin included in the 1.3 release is probably as close to AGS integration as I'll get. Unless someone else feels the need to do it.

horusr

Should we enable the plugin(putting .dll file to ags directory) to export to project?
It doesn't seems to work on AGS 3.4

AJA

Did you follow the instructions from the first post? Should work fine in 3.4.0 (I've tested it with 3.4.0.16), unless of course you've managed to discover a bug.

Quote1. Copy AGS.Plugin.DialogDesigner.dll to your AGS directory.
2. Run AGS, open your project.
3. Double click Dialog Designer node in the project explorer tree.
4. Select Dialog Designer.exe.

Then you can start writing dialogs and exporting them directly to AGS:

5. Write your dialog.
6. File -> Export to AGS -> Settings -> Set the dialog name.
7. Make sure AGS is open and your project is loaded.
8. In Dialog Designer, select File -> Export to AGS -> AGS Plugin (or Ctrl+E)
9. Switch to AGS, there should be a pop-up saying the dialog was imported successfully. You should see the dialog in your tree view.
10. To edit a dialog that you've already imported, open the dialog in AGS and double click on Dialog Designer in the project explorer tree.

horusr

I didn't copy DLL file to AGS because just I have tool, my partner in making game doesn't have it(we had problem with note plugin before).
So I tried to export to project option instead of export to plugin but didn't work.

AJA

Ah, true, looks like the project file structure has changed enough to break that. I'd recommend using the plugin for exporting, if it works for you, since the old method is more of a hack.

fernewelten

Alas! DialogDesigner doesn't seem to integrate into AGS 3.5.0 Build 3.5.0.30.

• I followed instructions for a 3.4.1 installation and started that up: The project tree featured a "Dialog Designer" entry. I double-clicked it, and got a popup asking for the location of the Dialog Designer executable. So the installation seems to work in 3.4.1.
  • I repeated the instructions in a 3.5.0 installation and started that up: The "Dialog Designer" entry did not appear in the project tree.

What a pity!

Crimson Wizard

There was some problem with SpeechCenter recently, which was resolved for SC. IIRC some rules for loading .NET assemblies have changed.

Potajito

Quote from: fernewelten on Wed 12/05/2021 18:04:43
Alas! DialogDesigner doesn't seem to integrate into AGS 3.5.0 Build 3.5.0.30.

• I followed instructions for a 3.4.1 installation and started that up: The project tree featured a "Dialog Designer" entry. I double-clicked it, and got a popup asking for the location of the Dialog Designer executable. So the installation seems to work in 3.4.1.
  • I repeated the instructions in a 3.5.0 installation and started that up: The "Dialog Designer" entry did not appear in the project tree.

What a pity!
That's weird... I'm using it with no problems on AGS 3.6. On a site note, it would be nice to see this integrated and maintained as part of AGS.

fernewelten

Cosmic rays?

When I got to my computer this morning and opened my current project, suddenly the Dialog Editor appeared in the Project Explorer menu. I gave the dialog editor a quick test and it seems to work.

I don't remember doing anything different as compared to yesterday, but perhaps I did.  ???  Or else, perhaps Windows decided yesterday night to install some updates and do a reboot and that fixed the hiccup. ???

So whatever had been the problem, as of now I'm fine!  ;-D

I'll report if I find out what happened exactly.

Crimson Wizard

I may have found a bug in this plugin.

fernewelten reported a crash happening when editor is closed before opening any game. The crash occurs in the plugin's EditorShutdown method.

EditorShutdown method:
https://bitbucket.org/AJA/dialogdesigner/src/f14d442fc8901d89bd8e3ce06a1049eb30ac8bc1/AGS.Plugin.DialogDesigner/EditorComponent.cs#lines-230
calls _communicator.Stop:
https://bitbucket.org/AJA/dialogdesigner/src/f14d442fc8901d89bd8e3ce06a1049eb30ac8bc1/AGS.Plugin.DialogDesigner/DialogDesignerCommunication.cs#lines-34
In this method the thread is joined (`_listeningThread.Join();`)
But this thread object is created not in constructor, but in Start method above. And Start seem to be called in RefreshDataFromGame callback.
https://bitbucket.org/AJA/dialogdesigner/src/f14d442fc8901d89bd8e3ce06a1049eb30ac8bc1/AGS.Plugin.DialogDesigner/EditorComponent.cs#lines-198

Because RefreshDataFromGame is not called until game is loaded, the thread object was not created when Stop is called from the early Shutdown, and "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" may be thrown.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk