Current scaling looks weird in fullscreen...Bicubic Filter?

Started by Knox, Mon 09/04/2018 16:47:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Knox

Hi,
Sorry if I missed any other threads related to this issue I'm having, I searched for "fullscreen scaling style" and "scaling filter/scaling problems fullscreen" (+ checking the help doc as well).

It seems that no matter what configuration I choose in setup for testing my game (native res: 1600 x 900) in full screen (1920 x 1080), the result is quite blocky/ugly:

In photoshop I did a scale-up using the bicubic filter and it looks OK to me...is there something I'm missing, or perhaps did wrong? If not, is there a way to add another filter (bicubic perhaps) to AGS so at 1920x1080 fullscreen the scaling-up looks "good"?

PS: Using: 3.4.1.12 Patch 1
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

dayowlron

I may just be guessing but I am betting that doing bicubic scaling would be too slow to keep the frame rate what it is which is probably why it is better to create the graphics for the largest resolution then scale them down in the game rather than the other way around.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Knox

Well what I don't understand is I tested the 2 filters currently available; nearest-neighbor + linear with anti-aliasing...and both give the same "bad" results (I tested in Photoshop and both of these filters seem to act like the nearest-neighbor). Is the linear with anti-aliasing filter not working properly perhaps?

PS: I really don't think this is an option for me, to re-scale up all of my current graphics to match 1920x1080 

Knox

Hope not to annoy anyone replying to my own thread but is there something perhaps I'm doing wrong pertaining to this issue, or hopefully a new filter is possible down the line? Has anyone else noticed this in their game?

Crimson Wizard

AGS is not used much for hi-resolution games, and with low-res games everything is pixelated anyway, so I guess that's why most users were okay with it.

From the looks of your screenshot, that is exactly how nearest-neighbour scaling should look like: every imperfection or jagged edge will just become larger in size and thus more noticeable.

Knox

Oh, well is adding a new filter like the bicubic filter something that might be possible in the near future for AGS? For now I guess its not a huge issue, I'll just force to have black borders + keep native resolution when in full-screen mode.

Crimson Wizard

Only to clarify, did you also try "Linear" scaling filter?

Knox

Hi,
Yes I tried "nearest-neighbor" + "linear" with anti-aliasing, both give the same results (both look like the nearest-neighbor in Photoshop).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk