closing inventory window with a right click

Started by Duckbutcher, Thu 12/04/2018 10:53:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Duckbutcher

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well.

I have a sierra style inventory GUI which starts invisible and appears with a right-click. I've used some code which works fine, which tells the engine to make the window appear with a right click, and then disappear with another right click, simple and efficient. Here's the code in full, in function mouse click in the global script.

Code: ags

//yada yada left click functions

else if (button == eMouseRight) { //if right button is pressed
     if (gInventory.Visible == true) { 
       gInventory.Visible = false; //if the gui is visible, turn it off - note this should happen in all situations if the GUI is visible!

} 
        if (player.ActiveInventory){  //if the player has an active item
        player.ActiveInventory = null; // gets rid of it
        mouse.Mode = eModeInteract;   //changes the pointer back to default
        }
        else gInventory.Visible = true; //otherwise, turn the inventory window on

So here's my problem. I open my inventory, select my item and right click out, closing the window, BUT only when I click on the GUI background image, or outside the GUI itself. If my pointer is in the actual inventory window (ie where the item icons are selected), it doesn't respond to a right click at all and I have to move it out of the box in order to shut the GUI. I'd really like to solve this problem for a little more fluidity and consistency!

Can anyone help me out?

Khris

Right-clicking a GUI control should be caught by on_event / eEventGUIMouseUp/Down.
Right-clicking an inventory item can be handled with on_mouse_click / eMouseRightInv, provided you've activated custom inv click handling in General settings.

Duckbutcher

Ah right, yeah I was using the default setting. I'll look into the custom inventory handling. Would this also apply to clicks on an "empty" inventory window slot, ie a click on blank space? Basically I want the right click to shut the inventory wherever the right mouse is clicked.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

dayowlron

I think your problem is more with the logic.
Supposing the inventory window is visible then line 5 will make it invisible, but then it will drop down to the rest of the code and if there is not an Active Inventory item the inventory window will be visible again.
I think you might get the results you want by putting an "else" after the bracket on line 7.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Khris

Quote from: Duckbutcher on Thu 12/04/2018 11:30:21Would this also apply to clicks on an "empty" inventory window slot, ie a click on blank space?
I don't think so; AGS reliably sets game.inv_activated to the ID of the clicked item, so to handle a click on the blank part of the inv window, you need to fall back to on_event.

Try this:
Code: ags
void RightClick() {
  if (gInventory.Visible) gInventory.Visible = false;
  else if (player.ActiveInventory != null) player.ActiveInventory = null;
  else gInventory.Visible = true;
}

// in on_mouse_click
  if (button == eMouseRight || button == eMouseRightInv) RightClick();

// set up on_event
MouseButton last;
void on_event (EventType event, int data) {
  if (event == eEventMouseDown) {
    for (int b = eMouseLeft; b <= eMouseMiddle; b++) if (mouse.IsButtonDown(b)) last = b;
  }
  if (event == eEventMouseUp) if (last == eMouseRight) RightClick();
}

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk