Game pitch competition

Started by Andail, Sun 22/04/2018 18:11:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the contributions listed below do you think makes the best game pitch?

2 (8%)
1 (4%)
1 (4%)
2 (8%)
7 (28%)
3 (12%)
1 (4%)
1 (4%)
6 (24%)
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: Sat 12/05/2018 11:09:27

Mandle

I'll come clean now and admit that I didn't even enter. I voted for #7. Even though it was too long for the contest and was full of spoilers I felt it would be a great game.

Jojo_the_monkey

Mine was #5. So thank you everyone for the votes!!! I am must think now of the puzzle dependency chart. ???
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

Snarky

Congrats, Jojo! You got my vote.

... And it seems I got yours, since my entry was #2. Thanks! (For a long time, my entry and one or two others were the only ones without any votes, which wouldn't have been so nice.) Thanks also to those of you who had it as an honorable mention. I haven't played Persona or Life is Strange, but from descriptions neither seem to have the kind of gameplay I was imagining for this concept, which probably means I didn't explain it well. (Basically I was thinking puzzle-solving around figuring out people's secrets, plus stat-building in various disciplines, as an academic/extracurricular QFG.)

Danvzare

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 13/05/2018 00:58:19
#6 Danvzare
Well you're wrong about which pitch was mine. If you were right, that would mean that I voted for myself. (laugh)

Quote from: cat on Sun 13/05/2018 07:49:31
#5 Danvzare
Thanks for the compliment, but I didn't make that pitch either. I'm not that good of a writer. (laugh)

Here's a hint, my pitch only got one vote.
I have zero guesses as to whose pitch is whose, so I'll refrain from guessing. (Am I using "whose" correctly?)

Also, congratulations Jojo on winning.

CaptainD

#6 was mine, so thanks Danzare for your vote! :-D

Stupot

Well it seems I got 10 out of 10 wrong. Not a bad effort.

TheFrighter

Well, if Andail pardon us... My entry was #1.:-[
It's my first game pitch ever, but now I see what you intended.

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 13/05/2018 00:58:19

Hmmm I've been thinking:

#1 Cassiebsg

Quote from: cat on Sun 13/05/2018 07:49:31

My guesses:
#1 Sinitrena

What, really? 8-0

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 13/05/2018 07:22:12

Also not my writing style or choice of topic.

:~( Sigh! :~(

Quote from: Sinitrena on Tue 08/05/2018 11:50:15

I voted for #1 with 6 and 8 as close runner-ups. I like the mystery presented in 1 even though it tells little of the story or potential game play.

Thank you Sinitrena, I'll remember you in my prayers! :-[

_

TGames

Mine was number 9, Thank you to everyone who voted :-D

Cassiebsg

TheFrighther, don't be that sad. I didn't say I wouldn't play such a game... but I doubt I would make a game with an amnesic character... and for writing style... we all have our own, just cause I don't write like that does not mean it's bad way to write... in fact I suck at writing. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

So so far we have:

#1: The Frighther (2)
#2: Snarky (1)
#3: ? (1)
#4: ? (2)
#5: Jojo_the_monkey (7)
#6: CaptainD (3)
#7: ? (1)
#8: Blondbraid (it was the one I redacted) (1)
#9: TGames (6)
#10: ? (1)

Others who participated:
Danvzare (1 vote), Mouth for War

Others who didn't participate:
Stupot, Selmiak, Mandle, Cassiebsg, cat, Hobo, Privateer Puddin', Sinitrena

Cassiebsg

Mouth for War is #4, he said it on the previous page. ;)

Stupot

So #3 is Baron or Ponch
#4 Mouth for War
#7 Danvzare
#10 has got Silverspook written all over it.

Danvzare

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 14/05/2018 15:52:41
#7 Danvzare
Yep, that one's mine! :-D

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 14/05/2018 00:24:10
I'll come clean now and admit that I didn't even enter. I voted for #7. Even though it was too long for the contest and was full of spoilers I felt it would be a great game.
Since you're the only one who voted for my pitch Mandle, you're now my best friend forever!

Cassiebsg

Yeah, I thought that story was more an interactive novel than an AG. (roll)

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 14/05/2018 19:43:48
Since you're the only one who voted for my pitch Mandle, you're now my best friend forever!

Wooohooo!!!

Gurok

Privateer Puddin' is my best friend. Thank you, Privateer! #10 wasn't Silverspook's, Stupot :D
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stupot

Quote from: Gurok on Tue 15/05/2018 02:32:07
Privateer Puddin' is my best friend. Thank you, Privateer! #10 wasn't Silverspook's, Stupot :D
How do you know tha- oooooohhhh. :-D

Andail

Glad you liked it, we can have another one soon enough :=

Congrats to the winner(s)!

One thing that strikes me is that there were very few gimmicks or unique selling points presented; people were generally happy to share a nice idea for a story. Adventure games are a bit special in that respect; a game pitch can be basically a nice story.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Andail on Thu 17/05/2018 11:17:01

One thing that strikes me is that there were very few gimmicks or unique selling points presented;

Can you make an example, Andail?

_

Snarky

One that comes to mind is how Grundislav is pitching Lamplight City: "A detective adventure where it's OK to fail" (as PC Gamer phrased it). It highlights an innovation or distinct feature that sets it apart from the genre as a whole.

I found that the ca. 80-word limit meant having to be very choosy about what to include and what not to include. I had two "gimmicks" in mind that I wanted to mention, but decided to leave out for the sake of brevity (as a reminder, this was the game where you're a student investigating a disappearance at an Oxbridge-style university):

-You start the game playing as the candidate who disappears, and the choices you make in this intro will influence elements of the mystery later on. In this section you also designate the character you'll play in the rest of the game (you ask one of the others to look after your stuff while you step out, and that person becomes your character).
-The game takes place over a full academic year (three terms), with the big climax taking place at the May Ball. (I always like it in games when you get to see familiar locations dressed up in new ways, and here you'll both see them change through the seasons and literally dressed up for a big ball.)

(Both of these gimmicks would complicate development immensely, but since it's just a pitch for a game I'll probably never make, who cares?)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk