Game pitch competition

Started by Andail, Sun 22/04/2018 18:11:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the contributions listed below do you think makes the best game pitch?

2 (8%)
1 (4%)
1 (4%)
2 (8%)
7 (28%)
3 (12%)
1 (4%)
1 (4%)
6 (24%)
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: Sat 12/05/2018 11:09:27

Danvzare

Quote from: Andail on Thu 17/05/2018 11:17:01
One thing that strikes me is that there were very few gimmicks or unique selling points presented; people were generally happy to share a nice idea for a story. Adventure games are a bit special in that respect; a game pitch can be basically a nice story.
But quite a few of the pitches that I sent it, were about gimmicks and unique selling points. :~(

Creamy

QuoteYou start the game playing as the candidate who disappears, and the choices you make in this intro will influence elements of the mystery later on. In this section you also designate the character you'll play in the rest of the game (you ask one of the others to look after your stuff while you step out, and that person becomes your character).

This idea of choices leading to different outcomes appears in many game pitches.

There are few point and click games that pull it off well - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Quest for Glory and the like (with RPG elements).

In many cases I think it's mostly smoke and mirrors (Telltale games...) or branching pathways near the end with limited impact on the game itself (The Dig...)

Mandle

Quote from: Creamy on Fri 18/05/2018 15:03:31
This idea of choices leading to different outcomes appears in many game pitches.

There are few point and click games that pull it off well - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Quest for Glory and the like (with RPG elements).

In many cases I think it's mostly smoke and mirrors

UNTIL DAWN!

What a load of BS!!! (Butterfly Silliness)

Snarky

I didn't say it would lead to different outcomes (apart from various failure/bad endings if you screw up); I meant that it would affect the gameplay along the way. Basically the RPG elements you mention. Me making the case for a game that isn't going to get made probably isn't the most interesting thing to read, but if you want:

Spoiler
Designating the character you play as for the rest of the game would be a lot like choosing your team in Maniac Mansion or picking a character class in QFG (and maybe Unavowed, if I've understood the design correctly): different characters have specific abilities, strengths and weaknesses that open up and close off gameplay possibilities with alternate puzzle solutions and side quests. Maybe one character is strapped for cash, and if you play that character you'll have to look for ways to make money throughout the game, and you probably won't be able to afford tickets to the May Ball and will have to sneak in somehow; maybe one character has an identical twin, and you'll be able to use that to trick people in various ways, but you'll also have to help your twin with their problems; etc. Different characters will have different starting points in various stats (academics, athleticism, social skills, etc.), which you'll need to perform particular tasks and that affect the various in-game rankings, but you'll also be able to influence them by how you allocate your time on different activities.

Similarly, other things you do in the intro might affect where certain clues can be found later on, or other minor details, but wouldn't change the main elements of the mystery or the direction of the story. This is not intended as an emergent or highly branching narrative.

I think different paths, alternative puzzle solutions and multiple/customizable playable characters are necessary to make the RPG/life-sim gameplay elements I have in mind meaningful. The drawback is that it increases the development effort immensely. If I was actually looking to make this idea real I would have to think very seriously about where to cut back and refocus. The great thing about this contest is not having to worry about any of that. :-D
[close]
The competition got me to write down a bunch of other ideas I've had swirling around in pitch format, so I look forward to the next round, Andail!

Creamy

QuoteI didn't say it would lead to different outcomes (apart from various failure/bad endings if you screw up); I meant that it would affect the gameplay along the way
Maybe I should have distinguished between 2 kinds of promises :
- promise that the story will change depending on the actions of the player (Telltale games typically).
- promise that the puzzles will change depending on the actions of the player (more like Quest for Glory or your game).

Some pitches even promise both things at the same time.

QuoteMe making the case for a game that isn't going to get made probably isn't the most interesting thing to read.
I find it interesting. Even if your idea sounds different in tone and more ambitious, I can't help but think of Kate and Shelly stick together when you speak of alternate puzzle solutions and Oxbridge-style university ;-D

These games are so much fun to imagine and to play - though a hell to produce.

QuoteI always like it in games when you get to see familiar locations dressed up in new ways, and here you'll both see them change through the seasons and literally dressed up for a big ball.

Yes, it's a very effective way to evoke the passage of time.

Baron

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 14/05/2018 15:52:41
So #3 is Baron or Ponch

Guilty as charged. (roll)

I voted for Blondbraid's #8.  C'mon, guys!  Scythian she-warrior and Greek academic on a road trip through central Asia -that's got good times written all over it! ;-D

Snarky

That gives us the full list of entrants:

#1: The Frighther
#2: Snarky
#3: Baron
#4: Mouth for War
#5: Jojo_the_monkey
#6: CaptainD
#7: Danvzare
#8: Blondbraid
#9: TGames
#10: Gurok

cat

Nice competition and entries! I hope some of the games will be made :)

Next time I'll join the competition with a pitch as well.

dactylopus

I wish I had seen this earlier, I may have pitched a game idea.

Lots of great stuff in here, though.  It would be great to see these games developed!

Gurok

This was a nice competition. I enjoyed reading the entries, voting and the air of mystery surrounding the entrants. Let's have another!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Snarky

If someone wants to organize another round, I think you can just go ahead and start a new thread (maybe let's sort out who's going to do it first on this thread, so we don't get a bunch of competing ones). Once you have the submissions, I can easily add the poll to the thread for voting.

Andail

I was gonna start a new one on Sunday, because I like consistency. If you can wait that long :)

While you wait, you can polish your pitch and make sure it's as attention-grabbing, buzz-generating and investment-worthy as possible!

Snarky

Quote from: Andail on Thu 24/05/2018 12:53:10
While you wait, you can polish your pitch and make sure it's as attention-grabbing, buzz-generating and investment-worthy as possible!

DoubleFine Proudly Presents
Ron Gilbert's
Return to Monkey Island

With graphics by Bill Tiller

Jojo_the_monkey

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 24/05/2018 15:48:48
Quote from: Andail on Thu 24/05/2018 12:53:10

DoubleFine Proudly Presents
Ron Gilbert's
Return to Monkey Island

With graphics by Bill Tiller
Snarky please, don't play with our health!!! :-D
PS: You forgot to write: Music by Michael Z. Land
I should have listened to my mother---I should have practised.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk