Game not compiling (ERROR: unable to find game data files) SOLVED

Started by Stranga, Tue 24/04/2018 09:57:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranga

Hey everyone!

I have been trying to figure this out for a few days now and I can't seem to find a way to fix it. Now, the game compiles fine. The issue is when it does compile, the .exe is extremely small in size and when you try to run it in the compile folder it pops up with this message:

Code: ags
ERROR: Unable to find game data files

The game runs fine in the editor though.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Edit: Sorry everyone but I solved my own issue...again.

What I did was delete everything in the compile folder then re compiled the game.

birenbergg

I'm having this problem right now and this solution didn't help :(
Any other ideas anyone?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: birenbergg on Fri 03/01/2020 15:21:39
I'm having this problem right now and this solution didn't help :(
Any other ideas anyone?

What version of AGS are you using?

First thing, go to General Settings and see Compiler->Build Targets, does it has "Windows" there? If not, check it in the dropdown list.

birenbergg

AGS Editor .NET (Build 3.4.3.1)
v3.4.3, February 2019

Windows is selected

Crimson Wizard

@birenbergg to clarify, you are doing Build -> Build EXE command, or running in debug mode (F5)? Is there a difference between these two actions?

After you do Build -> Build EXE, is there anything in Compiled/Windows folder?

birenbergg

Quote@birenbergg to clarify, you are doing Build -> Build EXE command, or running in debug mode (F5)? Is there a difference between these two actions?

The Build EXE works fine.
Running in debug mode gives the error.

QuoteAfter you do Build -> Build EXE, is there anything in Compiled/Windows folder?

Yes. Data and Windows folders, with files inside.

birenbergg

I have a feeling that there was a patch 4 for version 3.4.3... And the game was built in p4 version and now i try to run it on p1 version and that's the reason for this error.
Do I remember it wrong and there wasn't a patch 4?

Anyway, even if there was a p4 version, I cannot see it on Downloads page, only p1 version.

eri0o

You may be confused with 3.4.1 Patch 4 , since there was no patch 4 for 3.4.3.

You can see all versions here in the Changes.txt, or look in the forums here: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?board=28.0 .

birenbergg

eri0o

Does your data folder contains yourgame.ags file ? If it does you can try to run it by copying acwin.exe from AGS Editor folder and placing in the same directory to see if it works - check yourgame.ags is being correctly generated.

Some PCs on Windows 10 can't have the Compiled/Windows folder open on Windows explorer while building the game too for some reason.

birenbergg

ERROR: Unable to find or open 'full/path/to/my/game/mygame.ags'

Crimson Wizard

When you run with F5 from the editor, main game data is not read from Compiled/Data/*.ags, but from _Debug/*.exe.
You may test this by starting a clean project (or deleting Compiled folder) and doing F5 without rebuilding whole game.

If F5 runs, but reports "cannot find game data", this probably means that there's exe in _Debug, but game data was not attached for some reason.

birenbergg, can you tell which files are located in _Debug folder? Also, could be a random idea, but, have you recently renamed your project folder?

There's also a hacky way to find out if game data was attached to game.exe. If you open game.exe in a notepad and go to the very end of the file, the last thing you see there should be "SIGE" word.

PS. Actually, does this happen with any game you start or just one project?

birenbergg

Quotebirenbergg, can you tell which files are located in _Debug folder?

acsetup.cfg
My Game.exe

QuoteThere's also a hacky way to find out if game data was attached to game.exe. If you open game.exe in a notepad and go to the very end of the file, the last thing you see there should be "SIGE" word.

Where exactly is game.exe file? (If it's My Game.exe located in _Debug folder, then yes, there IS the "SIGE" word!)

QuotePS. Actually, does this happen with any game you start or just one project?

Only one my project which lastly was built with / converted to AGS 3.4.3 P1

Crimson Wizard

Is your game's folder is also called "My Game", like game's exe?

Crimson Wizard

Well.... I am out of ideas, honestly... Everything sounds right, like it should be.

Would it be acceptable for you to archive the game folder and send to me to try checking it out?

birenbergg

QuoteWould it be acceptable for you to archive the game folder and send to me to try checking it out?
Sure! Where do I send it?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: birenbergg on Fri 10/01/2020 07:58:20
QuoteWould it be acceptable for you to archive the game folder and send to me to try checking it out?
Sure! Where do I send it?

For example, upload to some filehosting like dropbox, mediafire, and so on. You may PM me a download link, if you don't like posting it in public.

birenbergg

Crimson Wizard

Well, I don't know what to say.

I launched AGS 3.4.3, opened your game, hit F5, and it compiled and ran correctly...

Maybe there's something wrong with the location? Try copying the project folder to a new place and see if that works... but, seriously, I have no ideas, sorry.

maybe someone else could take a look?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk