Sid Meier's Pirates! from 1987 in AGS?

Started by Lord Ed, Tue 24/04/2018 22:58:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Ed

Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to make a clone or remake of Sid Meier's Pirates! from 1987? The games mechanics are fairly simple and some of the game plays like a graphical text adventure in a way.

ManicMatt

I reckon so but that's far from simple imo, keeping track of all the information and statistics. I would have to be very confident with scripting to attempt this.

Lord Ed

Quote from: ManicMatt on Tue 24/04/2018 23:42:10
I reckon so but that's far from simple imo, keeping track of all the information and statistics. I would have to be very confident with scripting to attempt this.
I'm not confident in scripting something like this, but would it be possible to make a simpler version of this game? Perhaps without the stats and just with the exploration of the islands and sword sparring? Or should I just practice scripting more to make an actual clone of this game? Btw, I've never really scripted anything using AGS before, but I'd like to try. :undecided:

Khris

If you haven't scripted anything, AGS or elsewhere, better start learning how to do that for a few months at least, before attempting something like this. Many beginners are overwhelmed with far simpler things when they are completely new to scripting.

ManicMatt

CaptainD

If you ever do decide to do this, I would be most interested in the result!  A game I remember with great fondness.  I always loved the dynamic nature of the game world and feel that would be one of the biggest challenges but yeah, most definitely make something much smaller to start with!

(Perhaps you could make just the sword-fighting element as a stand-alone game?  That should be quite challenging enough if you haven't used AGS before!!)

Danvzare

This should definitely be possible in AGS. I've certainly seen more complex things made in the engine.
But boy would it be hard to code all of it. And like Khris said, if you've never scripted before, and/or never used AGS, then this would be an impossible first game.

Start with something simple like an Escape The Room type of game or something, and only tackle a game like this when you're confident that you could do it.
If you don't know whether or not it's possible to do it, then you're probably not good enough to do it.
Good luck though. :-D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Lord Ed on Wed 25/04/2018 00:05:04
I'm not confident in scripting something like this, but would it be possible to make a simpler version of this game? Perhaps without the stats and just with the exploration of the islands and sword sparring? Or should I just practice scripting more to make an actual clone of this game? Btw, I've never really scripted anything using AGS before, but I'd like to try. :undecided:

I'd say, perhaps set a goal to script one particular scene or mechanic from this game, such as ship travelling around the map, or a shop menu. Just make that as a "test" game, without anything else. That would give you a good start, and also make it clear which basic knowledge you aer lacking that you might need to gather.

Mandle

As the game is pretty much an RPG where you build up your stats over time I would suggest trying something simpler like a one character game where you scroll left to right and fight enemies of increasing strength and build up your fighting stats by defeating them or get sent back to the last hospital checkpoint if you lose.

Even this will be a bit of a challenge.

dayowlron

It would be possible, and it sounds like an interesting project to undertake, HOWEVER, It would be VERY script heavy so if you are not good with scripts yet I would suggest something simpler and move your way up.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Lord Ed

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try something more simpler, but one day, I'd like to recreate Pirates. :grin:

CaptainD

Quote from: Lord Ed on Wed 25/04/2018 20:11:56
one day, I'd like to recreate Pirates. :grin:

I will not forget you said this... ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk