Winsetup scaling options again

Started by Snarky, Thu 26/04/2018 21:36:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

I know this is Crimson Wizard's favorite topic, so I just had to bring it up again. (laugh)

In v3.4.1 I don't see the x2, x3, x4... options under windowed scale when I run winsetup. The only ones are "None (original game size)", "Max round multiplier", "Fill whole screen", and "Stretch, preserving aspect ratio" â€" IOW no scaling and three very slightly different variations on scale to full screen.

This is particularly a problem for me since I run AGS in a virtual machine on a high-resolution screen (2880x1800). This means that without scaling the window is tiny, but scaling e.g. a 320x200 game with max round multiplier ends up being x9, and the VM can't handle that (I'm not sure exactly where the the problem lies, but it freezes the VM).

However, even if this was not the case, I would want to be able to set intermediate scaling options. If I'm playing in Windowed mode I probably have other windows open, and I don't necessarily want thhe game window to fill most/all of my screen.

I want to be able to run games scaled bigger than the original resolution, but not necessarily to cover as much of the screen as mathematically possible. I want x2, x3, etc. back!

Crimson Wizard

These options must be there. If you don't have them, this may mean that something is wrong with the setup program.

EDIT: I just ran winsetup on a random game, and x2,x3 etc options are present.

Only two possibilities come to mind currently: either setup cannot read game native size correctly, or it cannot read desktop size correctly.

Well, the third is that you are looking into wrong option. Since 3.4.1 there are two scaling combo-boxes: for fullscreen and windowed mode separately.

Snarky

Interesting!
It could be that it couldn't read the desktop resolution, since in the VM it's dynamic. I played around with some settings (not sure exactly what made the difference), and now it seems to work.

Unfortunately the VM still really doesn't like to run an AGS game in scaled windowed mode (Direct3D 9), even at x2.

Oh, I didn't check if they were there before, but now the hq scaling options are gone.

Crimson Wizard

You could run the game with --log argument and see what it writes to the log at %USERPROFILE%/Saved Games/.ags

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 26/04/2018 22:20:54
Oh, I didn't check if they were there before, but now the hq scaling options are gone.

Hq filters are only compatible with Software renderer.

eri0o

@Snarky, have you tried using Wine in MAC ? My experience in Linux is to either use Wine or boot on Windows (for AGS and AGS Games that have been built to Linux). Virtualbox gives me weird results.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk