"Unable to read voice pack" error

Started by Dave Gilbert, Wed 02/05/2018 20:35:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

I haven't done anything different as far as I know, but now when I compile my game and try to run it, I get the error "Unable to read voice pack, file could be corrupted or of unknown format. Speech voice-over will be disabled."

As a test, I moved all of the speech files out of the Speech folder except for one and recompiled it. I received the same error. So it appears to have something to do with the game/engine and not the speech file itself.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks,

-Dave

Edit: I have also tried rebuilding all files. Nothing appears to work.

Crimson Wizard

You're using 3.4.1, right?

Does it matter whether you are running from editor or from compiled folder?

Can you upload the vox file that does not work (even if with 1 random file)?

Dave Gilbert

Turns out the files weren't getting properly rebuilt unless I deleted them from the compiled folder first.

I'm PMing you a link to my speech.vox!

Edit: I *think* it might be a filesize issue? I've been removing files from the speech folder and it seems to run fine when the Speech.vox gets below 453mb or so. Is there a filesize limit for speech? Is there any way around that?

Edit2: Hm. No. That's not it. I removed the commentary speech files which were around 50mb on their own. It brought my speech.vox size down to 420mb and I still got the error.

Crimson Wizard

Was getting a bad feeling about that.

Apparently this silly file package format has a limit of 10k files. I believe there should not be a problem in removing that limit, actually this is something that had to be done years ago, but it does not happen often.

(Also need to improve the way error is reported)

Dave Gilbert

Thanks CW! When can that be done? I kind of have a hard deadline of next week for a preview build, and I still have about 1000 more lines to import! :sealed:

Crimson Wizard

The engine for test: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8is4m8p2u6z0ox6/acwin-3.4.1--hotfix-assetlimit.zip?dl=0

Will perhaps release a proper patch later on this week.

EDIT: Hmm, actually have no idea how it works in the Editor. Better test newly added files.
EDIT2: Apparently Editor never had any limits when it was making speech.vox. It was only engine that had this limit for some silly reason.

Dave Gilbert

You are a LIFESAVER. Worked like a charm. Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk