MAGS May “Rats” (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Mon 30/04/2018 23:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

Rainbow Skunk Prism and the Vermin-Truder
2 (11.1%)
The Rat Pack Do Cheesy Castle
2 (11.1%)
The Rat Pack
2 (11.1%)
Commando Raid
5 (27.8%)
Rat Playing Game
1 (5.6%)
The Burgomaster
1 (5.6%)
Lab Rat Maze!
0 (0%)
Echo in the Clouds
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Mon 25/06/2018 00:11:30

Kitty Trouble

I have an idea I'd like to try for this month's, however I'll be getting my laptop repaired so no idea if I'll be able to work on it during that time.

Slasher

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 02/05/2018 15:55:49
I probably will stay out... for some odd reason the only thing I can think of are mazes... then again Rat Maze is a catchy name... (laugh)(roll)
A Rat mother leading her young out of a maze filled with dangers and misdirection.. sounds good.. Go for it Cassiebsg (nod)

Morgan LeFlay: Hope you have enough time to create an entry (nod)

Blondbraid

I have this idea for a game about a plague doctor, I already have a background and I've started on the sprites:

My idea is a pretty dark game about the black death and the witch hunts that followed, all while a doctor searches for
a possible way to contain the disease and dispel the plague carrying rats.

However, while I already have a rough idea for the story I currently don't have many ideas for puzzles and if anyone is interested to help me
with gameplay and programming please let me know.

Slasher

I may have a little time to spare if i can help in anyway... ;)

PM me...

DBoyWheeler

I've come up with the title and story (and even the title and subtitle graphics, when I get started on the title screen--they're still Paint Shop Pro files, so I can't post them here, sorry).

The title of the game is "Rainbow Skunk Prism and the Vermin-Truder."  ("vermin-truder" is a play on "vermin" and "intruder")

The story goes like this: A large rat man has broken into and is messing up Prism O'Breacadhanlae's greenhouse.  Prism needs to find the means to get rid of this pest before he damages any more of her merchandise.

(Prism's last name is derived from the Irish phrase "breacadh an lae", meaning "daybreak" or "dawn".  So she's quite Irish.)

Dancing Cyborg

I'm in! Hopefully i'll make it in time this month and this doesn't end up in the "unfinished games folder" as usual... Good luck to all! :)
Run, Run, Run, Up

Slasher

Quote from: Dancing Cyborg on Wed 02/05/2018 21:35:05
I'm in! Hopefully i'll make it in time this month and this doesn't end up in the "unfinished games folder" as usual... Good luck to all! :)
My "unfinished games folder" is almost full (laugh)

Good luck and hope to see you at the finishing line (nod)

DBoyWheeler

Current phase of my entry--got started on constructing the sprites of Prism.  Once I've set up how I want them to look, I'll get started on the PNG individual sprites.  Maybe I could even make a spritesheet to show to you all once ready.

Hobo

Just a reminder that AdventureJam 2018 has also started and if your MAGS game fits in its timeframe (May 4th 9:00 PM EST - May 18th 9:00 PM EST) you could and probably should enter both competitions.

I started working on a project today and although I'm not particularily inspired by the rats theme, I'll try and figure something out.
Plan is to finish it in time for AdventureJam and then possibly add some additional polish or maybe voice acting for the MAGS version.

And it's good to see so much enthusiasm in this thread, looks like it's going to be productive MAGS month.

Slasher

Indeed it appears so, Hobo..

Change of plan....last idea canned and new game started:

'The Rat Pack go Cheeseywood'

Can the Rat Pack make it to  Cheeseywood's Tinseltown where the streets are paved with cheese? (laugh)

Hobo

Quote from: Slasher on Sat 05/05/2018 16:21:38
Change of plan....last idea canned and new game started:
Maybe you don't even have to can it, depending how far into the developement process you were. AdventureJam rules seem to be rather lenient.

Rules:
Constructing the game itself is not allowed until the beginning of the jam date. However, you are allowed to assemble your team (if you choose to have one), write your story/dialogue, and map out your game right now.
You are free to reuse any assets that you have made in the past, or use freeware or commercially available assets. This includes music, sound effects, models, et cetera. We only ask that you do not begin collecting or creating any assets specific to your AdventureJam game until May 4, 9:00PM EDT.

Kinkilla

Slasher, that sounds interesting! ;-D

Well, I just found out, that I maybe have a small time slot for developing the game, so I had to cut my story quite a lot...
But I will increase the number of jokes and hope my best.
Aaand my game title is subtitled now! :-D
"Cheese Quest: The quest of the rat"

Hobo

I started writing a daily (hopefully) gamejam log at blog.tulevik.eu

Worked out the basic idea and direction of the game today and also did some pixelling:
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/lHKa6H1.gif[/imgzoom]

Mandle

My problem is that I have sworn off MAGS to try to get another game finished but an idea for a simulation of a rat learning how to run a maze better and better keeps nagging at me. I'm interested in dabbling with AI stuff, always have been, and it could be a fun learning experience for me and the player about a simplified "neural network" system.

I might give it a quick, no-frills, try.

VampireWombat

I feel a  bit behind. I haven't even gotten past the planning/research phase. I don't even have a title yet.
But all the talk and doing a bit more research has made me decide I can at least make a mock up version of my game using generic looking mobile game type graphics.
And no, I'm not at all tempted to use the name Chucky and the Cheese Pack. Though it does give me an idea...

Mandle

Did a weird mock-up of what is probably not interesting to anyone except myself and is not even a game except that you can make a maze and put a rat in it and run it through until it learns the best way to go... Game will probably include several saved mazes as examples... and maybe several saved rats...

Disclaimer: NOT a game...

P.S: An aditional artist may be onboard...

Kinkilla

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 06/05/2018 18:24:58
Did a weird mock-up of what is probably not interesting to anyone except myself and is not even a game except that you can make a maze and put a rat in it and run it through until it learns the best way to go... Game will probably include several saved mazes as examples... and maybe several saved rats...

Disclaimer: NOT a game...

P.S: An aditional artist may be onboard...
Interesting Idea!

Now I'm finished with the new GUI, all room graphics (inclusive title graphic) and the opening cutscene! I'm pretty happy with the current state of my game.

Cassiebsg

Damn Mandle! Now I can no longer make that Rat Maze I was thinking of... (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Creamy

Quoteyou can make a maze and put a rat in it and run it through until it learns the best way to go.
Reminds me of a betting game that we played at school parties. Four hamsters are released in the middle of a simple maze. The first one to get out is the winner. It could be fun :)

Hobo

Day 2 of gamejam. Set up a basic game and worked on the walk cycles.

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/Z6qaGeH.gif[/imgzoom]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk