MAGS May “Rats” (RESULTS)

Started by MAGS Host, Mon 30/04/2018 23:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

Rainbow Skunk Prism and the Vermin-Truder
2 (11.1%)
The Rat Pack Do Cheesy Castle
2 (11.1%)
The Rat Pack
2 (11.1%)
Commando Raid
5 (27.8%)
Rat Playing Game
1 (5.6%)
The Burgomaster
1 (5.6%)
Lab Rat Maze!
0 (0%)
Echo in the Clouds
5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: Mon 25/06/2018 00:11:30

DBoyWheeler

@Hobo: Wow!  Nice setting.  For some reason, it gives me the Metroid Prime vibes... almost.

@VampireWombat: Neat character... and Spriter Pro looks like a cool program!

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Wed 16/05/2018 22:45:56
My first walk animation using Spriter Pro.
Twitch the Chihuahua.

Is Twitch supposed to be walking or marching military style?

If it's normal walking you are going for you have the arms swinging in the wrong direction. They should be swinging opposite to the leg movement.

Nice looking character though!

Slasher

Mandle: I think you have made a great start with Spriter. Maybe arms should be reversed, but so what (laugh)

And last, but not least... using drawn flipped images..... Something that often evades me (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 17/05/2018 06:08:31
Mandle: I think you have made a great start with Spriter. Maybe arms should be reversed, but so what (laugh))

That's actually VampireWombat's sprite. I just quoted it.

VampireWombat

@DBoyWheeler Yeah, it's quite useful. I've had it for 2 or 3 years, but this is the first time I've actually done more than glance at it. After setting everything up, the actual animation took me maybe 5 minutes.

@Mandle Ah, thanks. Guess I didn't pay close enough to the video I followed or something. Luckily I only have to adjust 2 key frames.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 17/05/2018 12:51:12
@Mandle Ah, thanks. Guess I didn't pay close enough to the video I followed or something. Luckily I only have to adjust 2 key frames.

Can't wait to see it! It will be much nicer on the eye I think because with the marching-style walk and the big eyes Twitch looks quite zombie-like and a bit terrifying at the moment... (laugh)

Kitty Trouble

Squaretrade has my laptop parts on backorder so I've been without a laptop until today. That means I probably won't get an entry in for this month. Very nice at the pre existing graphics rule change. I hope that rule continues.

VampireWombat

Twitch with eyelids and updated walk cycle.
This is the last of animations for Twitch for awhile. I have to make animations for Massimo and two other characters today and tomorrow.

Hobo

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 17/05/2018 22:09:06
Twitch with eyelids and updated walk cycle.
This is the last of animations for Twitch for awhile. I have to make animations for Massimo and two other characters today and tomorrow.
Those eyes... Looks like Twitch's been up all night, making a MAGS game :-D

We're officially out of AdventureJam now and focusing fully on MAGS.

Mandle

Twitch is looking good!

Sorry, but felt I had to edit this in for people still scrolling down who haven't read DBoy's latest post (below) yet and don't want to know how to win his game or see what happens at the end before even playing it:

****SPOILER WARNING****
DO NOT OPEN THE HIDDEN SECTION IN DBOYWHEELER'S NEXT POST BELOW OR READ THE TEXT UNDERNEATH THAT SECTION IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME WITHOUT HAVING THE PUZZLE SOLUTIONS SPOILED AND/OR SEE THE ANIMATIONS FOR THE END OF THE GAME!!!

VampireWombat

Quote from: Hobo on Thu 17/05/2018 22:27:28
Those eyes... Looks like Twitch's been up all night, making a MAGS game :-D

We're officially out of AdventureJam now and focusing fully on MAGS.
Nah, that's just his natural state.

And shame you had to drop out. But now I wonder how long your game is going to be if you still need to put in all that work. I still haven't given up hope of finishing by tomorrow night and I've put in less work in total than you have in 2 days.

@ Mandle Thanks. I'm probably going to refine him more next week.

DBoyWheeler

Well, I've prepared the antagonist's sprites for my MAGS (and the "rat" for the theme).

It's a mutant rat-man who's messing up Prism's greenhouse:
Spoiler
[close]

I forgot to name the animation at the bottom--those are the sprites of the rat man ravaging Prism's greenhouse.

(Spoiler below)
Spoiler
Basically, to get rid of him, Prism needs to prepare some poisoned cheese.  The poisoned is gained from using bitter almonds to make cyanide (the same way that "not-bitter" almonds are made to almond milk).  Then she slips it into some cheese (I'm thinking feta cheese, but that might change).  Prism has heard this creature has been attacking people and causing trouble, so there are very few qualms in killing this vermin.
[close]

VampireWombat

There's something about the rat-man that makes me think of the main antagonist... sort of... from a movie I watched years ago.
But that guy didn't have a head, was maybe and alien, and had dynamite in his shorts...

Mandle

@DBoyWheeler:

DUDE! Why on earth are you providing a walkthrough for how to win your game before it is even made and without even a spoiler alert?!

I now feel almost zero anticipation to play the game with even the ending animation revealed like that.

If anyone hasn't looked at the hidden section in DBoy's last post and/or read the text underneath it in plain sight then here is an attempt at a:

****SPOILER WARNING****
DO NOT OPEN THE HIDDEN SECTION IN DBOYWHEELER'S PREVIOUS POST OR READ THE TEXT UNDERNEATH THAT SECTION IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME WITHOUT HAVING THE PUZZLE SOLUTIONS SPOILED AND/OR SEE THE ANIMATIONS FOR THE END OF THE GAME!!!

DBoy, seriously, you should edit that post a LOT!

Pinback

Tiny little bot I just whipped up that may or may not be in our MAGS game.

[imgzoom]https://s9.postimg.cc/g9xd9q5db/Bot1bc.gif[/imgzoom]

Other entries are looking great! Can't wait to play all the MAGS entries this month, I've been away far too long. Also Twitch is awesome hehe (laugh)

Also here's a GIF showing a bit of my work process because what the heck.

[imgzoom]https://s9.postimg.cc/tpozct8cv/BG5_Bathroom2a.gif[/imgzoom]

VampireWombat

Looks like I'm definitely out for trying to finish a version of my game for the Jam.
But at least I have plenty of time to make the full MAGs version.

Here's Massimo's current walkcycle.

Blondbraid

I have been working on my entry together with Morganw and HandsFree about the black plague and the rats spreading the disease, and I'd thought I'd share a background for the game I've been working on:

I borrowed some motives from a famous medieval artist, can anyone guess which one?

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 18/05/2018 14:27:22
@DBoyWheeler:

DUDE! Why on earth are you providing a walkthrough for how to win your game before it is even made and without even a spoiler alert?!

I now feel almost zero anticipation to play the game with even the ending animation revealed like that.

If anyone hasn't looked at the hidden section in DBoy's last post and/or read the text underneath it in plain sight then here is an attempt at a:

****SPOILER WARNING****
DO NOT OPEN THE HIDDEN SECTION IN DBOYWHEELER'S PREVIOUS POST OR READ THE TEXT UNDERNEATH THAT SECTION IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME WITHOUT HAVING THE PUZZLE SOLUTIONS SPOILED AND/OR SEE THE ANIMATIONS FOR THE END OF THE GAME!!!

DBoy, seriously, you should edit that post a LOT!

I edited it.  But then, no guarantee I might finish the game on time either, considering my flippin' random RL work schedule!

Mandle

Got a lot of work done today on my game but nothing to show in the form of screenshots just yet: Graphics are a bit rough still...

But, I got the combat system roughly coded and semi-working and got the graphics for the final boss working but only in a draft form...

Game Concept:

You are a rat coming up through the sewers after smelling something delicious left over by careless humans. You must battle the denizens of the sewer pipes, and further terrors, to reach your ultimate feast.

Yeah, the game is an RPG (Rat Player Game)

Slasher

Great ideas, guys (nod)

Hope you can all pull them off.

We could have a great MAG this month. (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk