Learning a language by playing AGS games

Started by ychaouche, Tue 01/05/2018 14:40:04

Previous topic - Next topic

ychaouche

Hello AGS,

I would like to learn portuguese by playing (normal) video games, not the usual boring educational games that just concentrate on learning vocabulary or conjugation. I'm not sure if I will find a game that was written or been translated to portuguese and I'm turning to you to get some help. Any advice appreciated !

Cheers

Sinitrena

If you already know the language to a certain degree, that's a wonderful idea, the same way reading or watching movies can help teach a language. Unfortunately, I can't help you much. Gog.com has an option to search for games that are available in a specific language (Here's a list of adventures available in portuguese and brazilian portugues.), though.

As for AGS games, we don't even have the option to show available languages on the games' pages, unfortunateley, let alone an option to search by language. Maybe it would be a good idea to add this at some point in the futur ???

eri0o

Hey, which Portuguese? I am from Brazil and it has some differences from Portugal. Some games have translation for ours and some games have translation focused on Portugal.

ychaouche

Thank you all for your answers. I started learning via duolingo but eventually got bored. Brazilian portuguese would be fine :)

eri0o

Celeste and Dandara are recent games that have Brazilians on the dev side, so I think they are fine. Massive Galaxy will be released soon from a Portuguese team, so it will probably support Portguese too. If I remember some more, I will edit here...

Cassiebsg

A Date in the Park has some parts in Portuguese from Portugal, since the events happen in Lisbon, all the "locals" speak Portuguese even though the game is in English. I helped a bit with the translation. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

ychaouche

I played a game in the park and I'm enjoying it so far ! (I saved the game at the baloon scene when it drops on the pond, will be playing it later).

It is making me think that learning a language through this type of games can be a really good option, especially if the puzzles are focused around making sense of what the locals are telling you. Obviously, a good item to have in the player's inventory would be an ingame mini dictionary with only a few of the most used keywords in the game (typically object or place names). Maybe at some point in the game the player has to talk to the locals and construct phrases himself. He would't be able to advance until he makes a perfect sentence. Lots of ideas...

Thanks a lot for sharing this game ! hats off to you guys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk