Author Topic: Porting game to MonoAGS  (Read 1050 times)

cat

• Mittens Baronet
  • AGS Baker
  • Now investigating MonoAGS
    • cat worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      cat worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
Re: Porting game to MonoAGS
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2018, 20:45 »
I pushed fixes to master for both the camera panning issue and the character speaking.
Nice! It's working now :)

Note that I removed Character.Say, SayAsync should be used instead, that's because the blocking say can't work in all scenarios
Right, better remove it than having a half-broken version.

Also, I saw that there's a bug with how the fade transition works in your loading screen (instead of fading in the new room, it's fading in the splash screen). Not yet sure what's going on there, it seems more complicated, I will look at it after I finish my current work.
For the mean time, if it bothers you as it bothers me, you can remove the fade transition from the game load event, and move it to after your first (non splash screen) room fades in. Note that this will also reduce the time of the splash screen (by default the fade transition is 1 second fade in and 1 second fade out).
Wow, it's really much quicker that way.

You can also create a private repository. It costs money on github, but it's free on both VSTS and BitBucket.
Thanks, I'll think about it.

This is because ICharacter doesn't really contain ChangeRoomAsync, it's composed out of components (like IHasRoomComponent) which contain the actual behaviors.
I understand that, but the whole interface composition will be too complicated for the regular game developer. The documentation needs to have an article where everything you can do with a character is explained in the style of the old AGS doc.

Right, I checked again and I see a null reference exception in output. However, the program doesn't crash but nothing else happens and the game is stuck.
Can you describe what changes I need to make to reproduce this? Also, if possible can you share the stacktrace of the null reference exception?
Thanks.
For example, during character creation, I assign an outfit only for left:
IOutfit outfit = await game.Factory.Outfit.LoadOutfitFromFolde rsAsync(_baseFolder, walkLeftFolder: "Walk", speakLeftFolder: "Walk", idleLeftFolder: "Walk");
and then I start the idle animation for down (because I didn't pay attention):
_character.StartAnimation(_character.Outfit[AGSOutfit.Idle].Down);
The problem is, the game gets stuck on the loading screen and the exception is only visible in output.

An outfit is a collection of directional animations (idle/walk/etc)...
Thanks! It would be great to have a shortcut, like factory.LoadSpriteFromFile or similar. Especially when doing multiple animations manually, it creates lots of code atm. Can I safely reuse a sprite for different frames or should I create/clone a new one?
Oh well :(. I tried creating the animation manually but didn't get it to work, yet. The viewport jumps weirdly and I just have flickering and no proper animation. I need to investigate further.

One more (not exactly MonoAGS) issue I have: I installed the VS Community Edition, which I thought was free? But now VS says that my 30 days trial license will expire in a few days ???

Monsieur OUXX

• Cavefish
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Mittens Half Initiate
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2018, 14:38 »
One more (not exactly MonoAGS) issue I have: I installed the VS Community Edition, which I thought was free? But now VS says that my 30 days trial license will expire in a few days ???

Sometimes the installer is the same but it's the license that matters. Check in google if there isn't a thing like "get your VS community key" which might lead you to a page where all you have to do is to provide your (any) email address to get the key.
Nowadays most of the time you can even generate a key directly from within VS. Chek ou the "help" or "tools" menu.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 15:22 by Monsieur OUXX »

tzachs

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
  • Mittens Vassal
  • Parking Goat- games that goats like!
    •  
    • tzachs worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2018, 15:00 »
I understand that, but the whole interface composition will be too complicated for the regular game developer. The documentation needs to have an article where everything you can do with a character is explained in the style of the old AGS doc.
The character page has everything you can do with the character in link format, so it's similar to the AGS doc except for the link itself does not to point to the same page. I'm not sure there's an easy way to copy the link contents to the character page, I'll need to get a deeper understanding of how the documentation is auto generated. Hopefully I'll get to that at some point.
I reported the new scenario for the broken search, and they're investigating it, so hopefully it will improve the situation (and interestingly if you search for "*ChangeRoomAsync*" it does work).
Also note that I plan to have the documentation for the interactions available from within the (yet to be written) interaction editor (so each interaction will have a "?" button next to it or something like that).

Thanks! It would be great to have a shortcut, like factory.LoadSpriteFromFile or similar.
Done ("LoadSprite" and "LoadSpriteAsync").

Can I safely reuse a sprite for different frames or should I create/clone a new one?
It depends. If you share the sprite it means you also share the sprite's configuration (rotation, scaling, translation offset, pivot, tinting, brightness). In other words, if you use the same sprite on 2 animation frames, and you rotate the sprite in one of the frames it will also rotate it for the other animation frame. If that's what you want, or, if you don't intend to change configurations for individual sprites (and if you intend to port the game from AGS as is without changes, then you don't) you can safely share the sprites. But if you want independent configurations, then use different sprites (but they can still share the same image, which is safe).

It is free, but you need to sign in, see here: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/support/community-edition-expired-buy-license/

cat

• Mittens Baronet
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2018, 17:19 »
Done ("LoadSprite" and "LoadSpriteAsync").
Already saw it this afternoon and used it in my code - thanks :)

It is free, but you need to sign in, see here: https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/support/community-edition-expired-buy-license/
Ah, I thought it might be something like that :-\ Well, can't complain too much about a free product. I assume when the MonoAGS editor is finished, people will not need VS installed, right?

tzachs

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
  • Mittens Vassal
    •  
« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2018, 17:42 »
Ah, I thought it might be something like that :-\ Well, can't complain too much about a free product. I assume when the MonoAGS editor is finished, people will not need VS installed, right?
Technically, you don't need VS even now. Any IDE/text editor which can compile c# code can be used (in theory, at least).
Once the first version of the MonoAGS editor will be released, you should be able to use any text editor even if it can't compile c# yourself as the editor will be able to compile the code. However, you'll probably still want to use an IDE for debugging purposes.
Then I'll look into the option of bundling the editor with an existing IDE (we previously talked about either MonoDevelop or VS Code as potential candidates), and also of having the editor as an add-in to VS itself (so 3 flavors: standalone, standalone bundled with text editor and debugger, add-in to VS -> hoping it wouldn't be too big a burden, otherwise we'll need to make a choice and cut).

cat

• Mittens Baronet
  • AGS Baker
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2018, 19:03 »
I think an editor without the need to register an account somewhere is a must.

tzachs

• Local Moderator
  • AGS Baker
  • Mittens Vassal
    •  
« Reply #26 on: 06 Jun 2018, 17:27 »
For example, during character creation, I assign an outfit only for left:
IOutfit outfit = await game.Factory.Outfit.LoadOutfitFromFolde rsAsync(_baseFolder, walkLeftFolder: "Walk", speakLeftFolder: "Walk", idleLeftFolder: "Walk");
and then I start the idle animation for down (because I didn't pay attention):
_character.StartAnimation(_character.Outfit[AGSOutfit.Idle].Down);
The problem is, the game gets stuck on the loading screen and the exception is only visible in output.
This should be fixed now (the game will properly crash with an error message).

Also, I saw that there's a bug with how the fade transition works in your loading screen (instead of fading in the new room, it's fading in the splash screen). Not yet sure what's going on there, it seems more complicated, I will look at it after I finish my current work.
This should also be fixed now.