Author Topic: Where`s m0ds?  (Read 871 times)

Amélie

Where`s m0ds?
« on: 14 May 2018, 18:15 »
Where's m0ds?

He has been here like forever. Achieved a lot, like leading Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth (at least the first 15? years). Also directing Ben Jordan movie at Mittens, Kinky Island kickstarter, initiating AdventureX, hosting the AGS radio show, running AGS Bake Sale charity, publishing commercial adventures at Screen7... What a list!
And now he seems to have only guest status, after stepping back as a moderator some time ago?

Mark, thank you for your commitment!

Hobbes

• Swashbuckler
Re: Where`s m0ds?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 20:30 »
I was actually wondering the same thing as well. Mark has done so much for the AGS Community (still bummed I couldn't make it to the Amsterdam Mittens so, so many years ago!)

There's more people who're absent, but Mark does stick out with his m0ds Guest account that shows up sporadically. Hope everything's all right!

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 20:57 »
I'm no longer friends with him on Facebook (Might have been for a strong difference in political views, but that's irrelevant) but looking up his profile, the last public post on it was 2016.Hmm, maybe he escaped from the shackles of the internet, ha.

Stupot

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2018, 00:55 »
Yeah, it’s weird not to see m0ds around here these days. To me he’s one of the AGS All-Stars. I’m sure there are several good reasons (moving away from AGS for his games for one). Plus, the community has evolved and maybe he just doesn’t feel like this is his place any more. I know some of the political trumpybrexy threads got a little bit nasty and some of Mark’s views seemed less popular than others’. I don’t want to put words in his mouth though. Maybe he has totally different reasons.

We can still follow him and Screen7 on Twitter, Facebook etc. Mark, if you’re lurking: all the best, dude

Andail

• Global Moderator
  • Mittens Viscount
  • Cultured man of mystery
    • I can help with backgrounds
    •  
    • Andail worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2018, 09:19 »
Mark is definitely one of the founding fathers of AGS, so it's sad that he's decided to leave. I consider him a good friend too - we (and other mitteneers at the time) met IRL for the first time way back in 2002.

I also owe him a lot for publishing TSP for me, it definitely wouldn't have made it to Steam as effortlessly as it did, nor sold half as well.

With Mods gone I can only think of Gilbert who's been here longer than me of all (more or less) active members, which is making me a bit nostalgic.

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2018, 10:59 »
Ooh I joined 3 years later than you Andail! I remember learning about AGS through a short lived magazine about making games, and it had a big feature on AGS and a tutorial, and I was extremely excited to get my hands on it. It's possible I didn't even have the internet, or even a PC, to use it yet.. wow was that why I bought a PC, gosh I think it was.

Gilbert

• * KILL* * KILL * * KILL *
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2018, 15:50 »
Ooh I joined 3 years later than you Andail!
Not really. July 2002 was the time where the community moved from Ezboard to the current forums, so members who have been here for a while "joined" here during that time. I think Andail was at least here since the Ezboard era.
Too bad Ezboard used robot.txt for protection so these old boards wouldn't show up in archived form and are lost forever.

Aaaand... before Ezboard there're actually even older ones.

Joseph DiPerla

• Joseph DiPerla, Adventure Game Creator Wannabe!
    •  
    • I can help with characters
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    •  
    • I can help with web design
    •  
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2018, 16:22 »
Yep, I remember those boards. I was such an annoying little twerp back then.(yeah now too i suppose)

I thought m0ds was still around, just with a different screen name. I also assumed that FOY was cancelled a ling time ago.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2018, 19:46 »
Oh I see, blimey, just how old is AGS!?

Cl...

• Don't listen to me.
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2018, 20:26 »
21, according to wikipedia.

kconan

• After⇐---—---⇒Before
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2018, 01:46 »
  He occasionally posts Kinky Island updates on Indiegogo.  I backed it way back when, and to his credit the few times I've asked for an update he responded quickly and thoughtfully.

SinSin

• 10 years and counting!
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2018, 09:05 »
I spoke to M0ds not long ago. As far as I can tell he's doing fine. As a lurker of this forum I've seen many many people simply just vanish, some simply don't have the time to return (busy lives). Others go on to use other engines and simply don't return. I too have met him IRL he's a top top fella and for me one of my fav people around here. Who knows maybe he will return one day.

AGA

• Adventure Game Aficionado
  • Administrator
  • Mittens Deity
  • ¡Qué alí­vio!
    • Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    •  
    • AGA worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2018, 17:28 »
Mods is fine.  He wants to step away from AGS to concentrate on other stuff, and asked me to delete his account to allow a clean break.