User can't get any game to launch. Has weird workaround.

Started by Dave Gilbert, Wed 16/05/2018 21:54:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

COnfirmed. The tester turned off compatibility and was running fullscreen in openGL.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 06/06/2018 20:14:33
COnfirmed. The tester turned off compatibility and was running fullscreen in openGL.

But this is not log from running fullscreen, it's a log from running setup.

Anyway, I don't really believe log will show much.

If I had possibility to test this issue, I'd try to find out answers on the questions asked earlier:
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 29/05/2018 02:46:21
So, is this something related to Unawoved, or other games too?
Is it possible to narrow problem down by trying
a) games made with previous versions of AGS
b) other games made with AGS 3.4.1?

Dave Gilbert

From what I've been told, the testers tried running other games and had no problem. So it's something specific to this version of AGS.

And I didn't see your post about it being from the setup file. Will ask him to send another one!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Wed 06/06/2018 20:26:21
From what I've been told, the testers tried running other games and had no problem. So it's something specific to this version of AGS.
What about other games made with 3.4.1? Also, is it possible to build test version without steam plugin?

Dave Gilbert

I can compile a non-steam version and see if that will work!

Crimson Wizard

Hmm, on the other hand, running winsetup does not load plugins, so probably not related...

I was trying to remember what has changed in 3.4.1 in regards to how program is built, and only thing I could figure out is that we now link opengl32.lib.

Oh, and the Allegro libraries are now self-built, not using old ones built by CJ.

Dave Gilbert

Sigh. The user now says the game is running with no problems, but has no idea what he did to fix it. This game is gaslighting me. It's happened to seven people so far, so there's a good chance it will happen again. When it does, I'll tell them to make a log before making any other changes.

Chicky

AVG Free version gives me no end of trouble with running AGS games, double click the exe and nothing happens par a Windows loading cursor. Even after turning off AVG the same issue happens until I've rebooted. I know anti-virus permissions often do not come into effect until after a reboot, could this be the same issue? If the user 'ring-fenced' the folder, could they have missed the part where you reboot for the permissions to take place?

Crimson Wizard

Regarding antivirus, there is one dumb idea. Instead of using compiled exe, take acwin.exe from Editor program files, and YourGame.ags file from the Compiled/Data, put them into same folder and try running acwin.exe. See if antivirus will behave differently. In the past I was suspecting that it does not like that game data is appended to exe and program has to be constantly opening executable for reading.

I was planning to add a compile option to not attach game data to exe, but forgot.

NicolaGs

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 08/06/2018 12:50:33
take acwin.exe from Editor program files, and YourGame.ags file
I used this solution for my game in order to prevent a false positive alert with Avast.
But this solution may not be perfect :
mygame.exe was detected by avast both at runtime (on a computer running Avast in realtime) and at scantime (when scanning files with Avast or with an online antivirus such as VirusTotal.com).
(acwin.exe + mygame.ags) were not detected at scantime but they were still detected at runtime for some users.

As there's a silent mode on some AV (like Avast, iirc), it's possible that the AV blocks the game without even displaying any pop up alert... so it could be the issue with some of Dave's testers.
My first game : I Want Out!

Dave Gilbert

So now everyone who reported this problem is now telling me that the game now works perfectly. I have no idea how this happened. Maybe a windows update?

Problem solved, I guess.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk