Scaling AGS Games on TV

Started by WayneGwynneWhite, Thu 17/05/2018 17:20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

WayneGwynneWhite

Hi Guys.

Had a question. I use a gaming laptop connected to a 49" and when I play any AGS games on the TV, the Laptop screen looks bigger than the TV. I don't seem to get any scaling options in the Win Setup either. Am I missing something. Should I not get scaling options? For instance, with Stargate Adventure, the screen on TV is quite small. I love pixels so scaling is'nt an issue to me. Is there something I should be doing in the nvidia setting or some file. All I want to do is scale my game. Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, but I didn't know where to post this. Thanks for any advice.
MW

Crimson Wizard

So, I checked the "Stargate Adventure" in game database, and it is a very old game, from the times when AGS games did not have good scaling options.

My suggestion is instead to try using modern engine to run that game. You do that by taking acwin.exe from the AGS Editor's installation and copying it to the game folder.

To run new winsetup run "acwin.exe --setup" from the command line.
To run the game using new engine just run "acwin.exe".

Note, that depending on what version of AGS the game was made in, this may work or not work (modern engine supports only certain range of versions).

If that won't work, either try fullscreen mode, or search for some Microsoft's or 3rd party solution to zoom in game window.

WayneGwynneWhite

Thanks for your help.

It looked like it worked, intro and all, and then when the game started, out came the version error.

Oh well, why do you think the picture shows up smaller on tv than laptop anyway. The only way I can see to play these games with a larger image is to play on a smaller screen!
MW

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: W4YNEWHITE on Thu 17/05/2018 18:23:21
It looked like it worked, intro and all, and then when the game started, out came the version error.
It's a bit strange that version error came only after intro, could you tell what error is, or post a screenshot/photo of it?

Quote from: W4YNEWHITE on Thu 17/05/2018 18:23:21
Oh well, why do you think the picture shows up smaller on tv than laptop anyway. The only way I can see to play these games with a larger image is to play on a smaller screen!

What resolution your TV screen has?

It's not only about physical size, but also about pixel resolution your monitor has. The smaller monitor resolution - the larger portion is taken by the game, and vice versa.
For example, if game is 320x200, and laptop's display resolution is 1280x720, then game will be 1/4 of the screen. If display is 1920x1080, then game will be only 1/6 of its size, 4K resolution monitor is 3840 àâ€" 2160 and game will be just like 1/12 of it, and so on.

WayneGwynneWhite

Laptop Screen Resolution is 1080p and TV is 1080p. Both are are 60Hz(which doesn't matter) and nvidia is set to scaling gpu. Change that, it doesn't make a difference.

Sorry, I forgot to metion that I threw acwin file into the folder but when I tried to run the setup from command it said this:

'acwin.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Did I do something Noob?
MW

WayneGwynneWhite

https://gyazo.com/0a716c66b7be609d8606d1b8275a81fc So this error is without successfully using winsetup. So I decided to just run it and it ran the intro and then gave that error. Maybe not a version error.
MW

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: W4YNEWHITE on Thu 17/05/2018 18:45:22
https://gyazo.com/0a716c66b7be609d8606d1b8275a81fc So this error is without successfully using winsetup. So I decided to just run it and it ran the intro and then gave that error. Maybe not a version error.

Well, this does not look good, it seems to be a fatal error when loading a room. I will check that out in spare time, but cannot give promises now.
EDIT: yes, I confirm, there is possibly some bug in the engine that causes that.

Quote from: W4YNEWHITE on Thu 17/05/2018 18:39:08
Sorry, I forgot to metion that I threw acwin file into the folder but when I tried to run the setup from command it said this:

'acwin.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Maybe you forgot to switch to the correct directory before running?
Anyway, you may use any notepad program to create setup.bat file (just make sure it is called .bat, and not .bat.txt), and put "acwin.exe --setup" there, then you will be able to run setup simply double clicking on it.

Crimson Wizard

Hey, this was simplier than I expected, please try using this acwin.exe instead:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsmn6ewiaczvh94/acwin-3.4.1--fixed-room-localvars.zip?dl=0
with that I was able to at least get past the intro to the first playable room.

And congrats on catching a bug in the engine :).

WayneGwynneWhite

Wow, thank you so much. 4:3 on my TV now is amazing. This is exactly the way I want to play. I had searched the net for so long but your file fixed it now. Cheers;)
MW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk