Author Topic: Fortnightly Writing Competition - The Pilgrimage  (Read 162 times)

Wiggy

• From the tropical north Queensland
    • I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with proof reading
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
Hello! The theme to the next fortnightly writing competition is:

The Pilgrimage.

There's a destination, a reason and a journey. Your tale can be about the pilgrim themself, or the journey and the people they meet (e.g. Canterbury Tales), it could be a reminiscence (e.g. A La Recherche du Temps Perdu), a reunion, a gathering, festival... whatever. Let your minds run free. It need not be a long journey, could be a trip down the pub on a special occaision. I'm sure you get the idea.

Scoring shall be along the following lines:

Best story: The plot basically; enthralling and enticing.
Best scene setting: The feeling that you are there. Adjectives and adverbs, similes and metaphors colouring the plot's framework like a well-drawn background. (You can almost smell the dung.)
Best or worst protagonist: Comic or tragic, from pathos to bathos a main character that lingers in the reader's mind, for better or for worse, lovable or loathsome.

The only limitation is your imagination, sorry, the only two limitations are your imagination and the two-week deadline, which in the interests of globalisation I'll set as midnight 2 June 2018 BSST. Bonne chance tout le monde!

p.s. New entrants welcome. A great adventure game needs a good story and you can hone your skills here, it's free. Maths checking costs extra;-)

CaptainD

•  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    •  
    • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
Re: Fortnightly Writing Competition - The Pilgrimage
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2018, 08:40 »
Nice theme.  Haven't done one of these for ages, I might just enter this time (but no promises!) :-D

Baron

• Mittens Serf
  • AGS Baker
  • Rottwheelers
  • Not-so-Evil Banana Dictator
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    •  
    • Best Innovation Award Winner 2011, for the concept and management of SWARMAGS
    •  
    •  
    • Baron worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2018, 02:52 »
Ooo!  This has Blondbraid's idea of a Scythian she-warrior teaming up with an ancient Greek academic written all over it! ;-D  "Scythes & Sandals," anyone? ;)

As for me, I'm off to wander the wild fens of suburbia in search of inspiration.... (roll)

Wiggy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2018, 09:31 »
Just over 1 week to go and no entries. Of course we are coinciding with perhaps the greatest effort ever towards MAGS, and we all look forward to the offerings. I only joined this FWC to justify my procrastination about MAGS - my MAGS effort would have been based upon the only fact that I know about rats - they can't vomit. Hence the "Wind in the Willows" pub crawl game was shelved indefinately. (20 rooms was too much.)

I feel that I have to contribute, though I should not because I set the topic. I've got a few ideas in mind, but I'm thinking that if I don't spark your minds then who will? I need a couple of hours think time. Don't go quietly...

Wiggy

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
Alright 15 minutes and 2 glasses of red gives:
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2018, 13:22 »
Two pregnancies:

She

...absorbs her meal. The extra weight she is carrying affects every manoeuvre. She is no longer lithe and

graceful, she is older, she has mated.

The light decreases, the days are shorter now, food is scarce, yet the clan leaders do not call their

subjects to march: the time is not right yet. Throughout the days of light they have all gorged themselves in preparation. She feels the tremolo of a people in wait. She would calve on this journey, and the clan would be her guide and her protection.

Her

...belly feels full with her pups. It must be at least 4. It has taken all her hunting skills to keep herself fed, and, moreso to provide for her careless womb-bound brood. Such is life. The days are getting shorter, it is time to follow food.

She

...awakes to the booming of the clan leaders, using their "body drums" to alert all of the perigrination to follow. It is now time to follow the light, as she has once before. The clans unite, and all pursue the call resounding across the world.

Her

...instincts track every potential target; the old, the sick; even the ugly - so you have no chance. She is the apex predator, relaxed in that knowledge she cruises towards the light.

The Great White Shark cannot travel into the warmer waters where the humpbacks breed; stalemate. The world rotates around the sun again, another cycle starts and finishes. Are you alive?