Cannot playtest or build exe. Error: "The game engine does not ..."

Started by SmugMonster, Fri 18/05/2018 22:44:43

Previous topic - Next topic

SmugMonster

I was happily playtesting my game when it crashed, and since then, starting a playtest causes my game to open and then immediately close with the popup "The game engine does not appear to have shut down properly. If the problem persists, please post about it on the forum." Before posting, I did a quick Google on the issue, and found a thread where someone asked if it worked in a standalone exe. So I figured why not try that before I post...

..and got the following output:

Unable to register for Windows Game Explorer: Unable to replace resource: EndUpdateResource for __GDF_XML failed: 0000006E

Restarting AGS doesn't fix it.

EDIT: Trying to build an EXE again yielded a couple additional errors this time:

Unable to set EXE name/description: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Unexpected error: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\Kyle\Documents\0effinzombies\Latest Game Version\AGSTestingGame\Compiled\Windows\AGSTestingGame.exe' because it is being used by another process.

EDIT AGAIN: Worth mentioning, I'm using 3.4.1

Crimson Wizard

Look in the task manager, if there is AGSTestingGame.exe process hanging there, shut it down forcefully.
Maybe try restarting Windows if that did not help.

Khris

1. Deactivate Windows Game Explorer integration in General settings.
2. Try compiling again. If you get an error about how saving/generating the exe file failed, just try again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk