Good old game covers

Started by TheFrighter, Sun 20/05/2018 18:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrighter

Sometimes I find on ebay someone that sell only the box of videogames between late 80's/early 90's, because have a cool art cover. (In some case the cover is the only good thing of the game)

Call it old-fashioned, but sometimes you can find some little jewels of art. Like this two:

Anyone like vintage game covers?

_

Blondbraid

I haven't played this game, but boy do I find this cover mesmerizing:

Mandle

James Rolfe (the Angry Video Game Nerd) did a one-a-day Christmas advent calendar marathon presenting what he considered the worst game covers of all time. It's quite fun and still on his channel on youtube:

Here's a link to a VIDEO OF THE COMPLETE SERIES for anyone who is interested. The whole thing is about 50 minutes long (each episode is short: about 2 minutes each). I will put a LANGUAGE WARNING in here because he does turn a colourful phrase now and then, but it's not just constant swearing.

And I believe that Phalanx cover was one of his choices... (laugh)

EDIT: Yup, it is! The Phalanx episode starts about at about 12:00 minutes into the video.

Matti

I read this thread on the amiga board back when it was ongoing: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27661
EDIT: Actually, people seem to keep on posting there..

I was quite amused by how bad some covers were ;-D The thread is quite old though and many of the images won't show anymore. Looking at page 2 it might still be worth it I'd say.

We might not want to hijack this thread about cool cover art by presenting the worst cover art though ;)

Mandle

Quote from: Matti on Mon 21/05/2018 16:01:14
We might not want to hijack this thread about cool cover art by presenting the worst cover art though ;)

One man's meat...

CaptainD

I loved the way the cover art never bore the slightest resemblance to the actual game graphics, especially in the early 8-bit days.

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 22/05/2018 08:23:12
I loved the way the cover art never bore the slightest resemblance to the actual game graphics, especially in the early 8-bit days.

With many early ATARI games that's how you knew what kind of game you were playing. You often needed the cover art to understand what some of the ingame sprites were supposed to be.

Nobody would have any idea what ATARI's E.T. was supposed to be without seeing the cover art.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 22/05/2018 10:59:37
Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 22/05/2018 08:23:12

With many early ATARI games that's how you knew what kind of game you were playing. You often needed the cover art to understand what some of the ingame sprites were supposed to be.

Nobody would have any idea what ATARI's E.T. was supposed to be without seeing the cover art.

That's the point, CaptainD and Mandle.

_

Mandle

selmiak

yeah, that clash of styles between comic, painted and hard geometric forms is weird! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk