Background and Characters.

Started by danman23, Sun 27/05/2018 20:22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

danman23

I'm working a new game its called Little Sally and I would like some criticism I know the art styles seem to not fit for the same game at least thats my thoughts.  But I would like to know thoughts on that.
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/Z3dyhA8.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/Lp2KK2q.png[/imgzoom]

Little Sally

PS. My girlfriend is the artist lol but we worked on it together. 

Any advise would be appreciated.

VampireWombat

The character and backgrounds definitely don't fit together.
The rounded lines on the sheet of the bed don't quite fit. Either they need to be straighter or the bed needs to be rounded.
The sink looks kind of like a stand with a fish bowl on top of it.
And the shower/bathtub probably shouldn't be quite so rounded... And the toilet seems rather large in comparison.

Edit: I'm not sure if I was coherent in my explanations. And after trying to give better lines for the sheet, I kind of think it looks better without them.
Anyway, maybe these edits will help. Just my suggestions. Others probably will have better suggestions.

ManicMatt

Hmm curious, the character looks hand drawn and well drawn too, but the backgrounds remind me of my first ever backgrounds, with flat objects and no realistic use of perspective.

Look into one point perspective videos to see the difference it can make to your rooms. There is two point perspectives and even 3 point (Which I think is for birds eye views) but start with one, which is closest to your rooms. There are also programs like AutoDesk Sketchbook which is free to download, that takes a lot of work out of working out the angles of lines.

But yeah, that style is too low resolution for the character and not cute or cartoony. Haveva look at, I dunno, hello kitty backgrounds or something like my little pony, they'd probably match better.

VampireWombat

ManicMatt is right about hello kitty or such being better. But my suggestion would be to look into cartoons with humans instead.
Daria and The Simpsons are two that I found good reference from. There are a lot of cartoons which could be useful.

ManicMatt

Just to give you a rough idea of the difference it makes having correct 3D perspective. Although this isn't easy, so maybe consider it when you are feeling more confident. I would also suggest adding shadows. I was rushing so it's a bit sloppy and there are errors.

This is assuming you stick to this style!

danman23

Thanks for the feedback. We worked on it some more and this is what we came up with.
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/gfPMUDp.png[/imgzoom]

Let me know what you guys think.

ManicMatt

wow, that is a huge improvement over the original, great job!

Little further tweaks would be things like the lamp needs to have the top visible to keep in with the perspective - we can still see on top of the bed head rest at that height.

the waste basket, is it half a circle on purpose, like a cool design?

i would consider adding a door frame, too.

I love the wallpaper!

Snarky

Yeah, this new one looks great! I like the slightly tilted perspective of the walls (but don't overdo it, since there's no easy way to apply it to characters in AGS and they'll look off-perspective if it's too extreme). The door and headboard to the bed should also be tilted accordingly, though. And the door is about twice as wide as it ought to be â€" consider that it's wider than the bed is long! (This is a very common mistake for sidewalls: underestimating the amount of foreshortening.) That and the lamp Matt mentioned are the only things I think need fixing. Unless you want to add a bedcover or something to make the room seem more inhabited (of course, that might be an object if you'll have a character in the bed at some point).

You could also think about adding some foreground objects to frame the composition.
Nice work!

Mandle

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 28/05/2018 07:31:07
You could also think about adding some foreground objects to frame the composition.

A lot of modern players will assume the foregorund objects are also somehow important and will complain that they couldn't interact with them and that therefore they were useless and detracted from their gaming experience.

They only look at what they can use to "progress" and care little for artistic "framing" and such...

Depressing...

ManicMatt

That's why games have them as almost silhouettes, or just very dark, so the player doesn't focus on them much.

danman23

Yeah we may consider adding some foreground elements but for now this is what we got.
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/5hNtt16.png[/imgzoom]

Some small edits from your suggestions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk