MAGS June "Ice" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/06/2018 00:47:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS June?

Groundhog by Slasher
2 (15.4%)
To the Mountains of Madness by Mandle
0 (0%)
Ice in the Air by Cassiebsg
1 (7.7%)
Comet Collision by VampireWombat
1 (7.7%)
Don't Ice your Cool by Hobo
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Mon 16/07/2018 00:16:44

VampireWombat

I will try to use the extra time wisely. It will be useful since in the last few minutes the idea I had for an abduction game has ballooned into something much more.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Wed 27/06/2018 15:09:33
I will try to use the extra time wisely.

Damn! That's so much better than my plan to only work on my game when I feel motivated to, squander the rest of my time on youtube and AGS forums, and, in the end, release a "demo" not even close to playable but showing a ton of promise which will most likely never get realized. :P

VampireWombat

Oh, that's most likely closer to what will happen for me. But an extra day does mean 1-4 extra hours I will actually spend on the project...

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 27/06/2018 15:44:55
Damn! That's so much better than my plan to only work on my game when I feel motivated to, squander the rest of my time on youtube and AGS forums, and, in the end, release a "demo" not even close to playable but showing a ton of promise which will most likely never get realized. :P

To me, it does not matter if it is a demo / or is very short... but it must be playable and have a start. middle and an end otherwise it is not actually a bona fide game which would be a shame (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 27/06/2018 16:16:45
To me, it does not matter if it is a demo / or is very short... but it must be playable and have a start. middle and an end otherwise it is not actually a bona fide game which would be a shame (nod)

Oh, then it's just gonna have to be a shame...

I've always wanted to make a game worthy of the Lovecraft mythos and this one seems to be it.

BUT, to create such a game means that it needs a lot of writng, a lot of research, a lot of atmosphere, and a LOT of balancing the gameplay so that it always feels to the player like they are up against near impossible odds and yet they still could win if they learn how to beat those odds.

This game has become my new passion project and will probably take a long time to finish. In fact, it might even become a commercial game at some point with the current graphics/music/everything just being placeholders for someone much better to redo...

I won't be releasing anything close to a playable game but at least the theme of "Ice" turned my mind To The Mountains Of Madness.

Slasher

That sounds really cool Mandle... Obviously not within a month.... If I can be of any use PM me...

Good luck (nod)

Kastchey

QuoteI won't be releasing anything close to a playable game but at least the theme of "Ice" turned my mind To The Mountains Of Madness.
Ohh yes please! I always thought this one would make an awesome adventure game.

Mandle

Quote from: Kastchey on Thu 28/06/2018 21:47:15
Ohh yes please! I always thought this one would make an awesome adventure game.

Mine is not exactly an adventure game but does contain some elements of one.

You'll be happy to know though that the adventure game "Chronicle Of Innsmouth"'s sequel is in production and is subtitled "Mountains Of Madness" ;-D

VampireWombat

With only 35 hours left, it looks like I'm going to have to ditch any creativity in the rpg segment and limit it to 1 on 1 battle.
But I have a fair amount of ideas for the alien segment and it doesn't require having to implement coding I haven't done before.

Hopefully everyone who has started a game will at least have something they can share, even if it's only a minute long and has no actual gameplay.
Good luck to all.

Slasher

As long as it's playable bring it on (laugh)

Cassiebsg

I started yesterday, so I appreciate the extra time. :-D
Might just come out with something worth playing for 5 minutes. Bugs will be considered features! (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

If a character eats bugs, extra points.

I just finished down views for the 4 life stages for the penguin virtual pet tamagotchi thing I'm doing. There's only a 2% chance of side views or animation beyond waddling up or down...

Now to design some aliens, Vanilla Ice rpg character, and maybe even do a bit of coding...

Edit:
[imgzoom]http://i68.tinypic.com/vgh5pi.jpg[/imgzoom]

Mandle

Well, I ended up with a touch of heat-stroke the last 2 days and other issues prevented any solid blocks of free time last week.

Feeling better today so hopefully I can show at least an intro and a tiny bit of gameplay.

Cassiebsg

Good news everybody!
Mine is now playable from start to finish, and I haven't spotted any crashing bug yet... maybe I should add a few? I'll use tomorrow to add a few SFX and Music.

The bad news? It's 3AM and I haven't eaten dinner yet... (roll)

VampireWombat

Yes, definitely add more bugs. The more the crunchier.
But congratulations for it being playable from start to finish. Mine has neither at the moment. And will have no end...
Today I have to add in the login screen, a screen to choose the different mini games,make all the mini games actually playable instead of skeletons with limited interaction, add music, and try not to go insane.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 01/07/2018 12:16:05
Yes, definitely add more bugs. The more the crunchier.

(sings)
Bugs bugs bugs bugs
BUGS BUGS BUGS BUGS
LOVELY BUGS!  WONDERFUL BUGS!

(talks normal)
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see what options appear here.

VampireWombat

Yes, it'll be interesting indeed. I have a feeling that some of it will be like watching a train wreck.
It'll be interesting to see how much I can actually pull off with my ideas since I'm now fighting against sleep deprivation and can barely hold a... kitten? No, that's not the right word... Thimble? Toaster? I'm sure it's some word starting with t. (okay, not quite that bad).
I'll see what I can get done in the next 5 hours or so. Things that aren't at least somewhat functional will be dummied out. And after that I will finish up whatever loose ends need to be tied and dot any polkas I find.

Mandle

TO THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS (INTRO)

In the frozen wastes at the bottom of the world lies the salvation for all mankind.

Four members of the secret society "The Wardens At The Threshold" set out to save the world from the return of The Great Old Ones in this Lovecraftian nightmare.

Ummmm... Literally!!! They just set out to save the world... That's all they do!!!

Yeah, there is no gameplay except for watching the game intro and choosing your four characters.

This is the intro to a much more ambitous project and therefore I had to be quite careful with the coding with future expansion in mind. This took up all my time as I stared blankly at the wall for minutes on end, debating such choices as: How big should this array be?! I have no idea, so I'll just make it stupidly BIG!!! and... other stuff...

After you have chosen your characters and returned to the map screen you can hit Alt-X to go instantly insane, or you can press ESC to slowly sink into the abyss of madness from where you should select "Quit Game".

Ummmmm... Sorry?!

DOWNLOAD THIS AMAZING GAME INTRO HERE

VampireWombat

Going insane sounds fun. You completed something, so don't be sorry.
It's more than I've managed so far...
I don't know if anything will be actually playable other than the alien minigame.

Cassiebsg

Ice in the Air

Charly has just been told he needs to play outside as long as the weather is good. However what he wants is to go back in and play on his computer, since all his friends are on vacation.

P&C adventure game made in 3 days made for MAGS, hope you have some fun with it. :)

Music: Eric Matyas
Game length: 5 to 15 minutes
Game res: 320x180, 32bit colour

[imgzoom]http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/images/games/2267_1.png[/imgzoom]

[imgzoom]http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/images/games/2267_2.png[/imgzoom]

DOWNLOAD HERE!
Completed Game Announcement: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56216.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk