MAGS June "Ice" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/06/2018 00:47:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS June?

Groundhog by Slasher
2 (15.4%)
To the Mountains of Madness by Mandle
0 (0%)
Ice in the Air by Cassiebsg
1 (7.7%)
Comet Collision by VampireWombat
1 (7.7%)
Don't Ice your Cool by Hobo
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Mon 16/07/2018 00:16:44

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 01/07/2018 17:06:23
You completed something

I only wish I could see your face when you "play" my entry... (laugh)

Slasher

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Sun 01/07/2018 17:25:26
Frozen NOT Frozzen (laugh)

Context is key!

Is this a typo in Cassie's game?

VampireWombat

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 01/07/2018 17:23:08
I only wish I could see your face when you "play" my entry... (laugh)
I will attempt to find or make an emoticon that best fits.

Cassiebsg

Probably, typos are great and to be considered features. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

Sleep deprivation and less than 3 1/2 hours means major sacrifices must be made.
I'm doing only the alien game for today. Hopefully a global disaster leading to an ice age is enough ice.

Slasher

I think a certain someone is having a 'Bubble' (laugh)

VampireWombat

I think the bubble burst awhile ago.
Luckily this game will be very easy to code. Literally just hotspots and move to another room...

VampireWombat

Comet Collision:
Guide your planet to salvation.
Graphics by me.
No music.
Completed all today.
Haven't had a chance to test.
Download at.

Hobo

Don't Ice Your Cool

[imgzoom]https://imgur.com/q3vBi6j.png[/imgzoom]

Download here!

Whew... Last minute, untested, lots of bugs probably.

Edit: AGS game page here!

Stupot

The contest is over and the voting begins.
Five entries. Not a bad follow-up to last month's bumper edition.
Please vote using the poll at the top of the page.

Groundhog by Slasher
To the Mountains of Madness by Mandle
Ice in the Air by Cassiebsg
Comet Collision by VampireWombat
Don' Ice your Cool by Hobo

horusr

Congrats everyone who made it! I hope voting will be cool!

Shadow1000

Wow..talk about 11th hour entries!

So...here are my comments:

Groundhog

Spoiler
Don't be deceived by what seems to be a simple guessing game. It wasn't till I finished that I realized that it's actually very clever!
[close]

To the Mountains of Madness

Spoiler
Well, it's just an intro...looks like a good concept.
[close]

Ice in the Air

Spoiler
The most complete game, with a goal, inventory, steps to take to achieve the goal and decent graphics.
[close]

Comet Collision

Spoiler
Reminds me of those paper "fortune tellers" we made in grade school
[close]

Don't Ice your Cool

Spoiler
I love the graphics and animation! Short game with simple, progressive puzzles.
[close]

My vote goes to
Spoiler
Ice in the Air, as I felt that it was the most overall complete game of the bunch.
[close]

Well done!

Mandle

Can't wait to start playing this selection! Looks like a good way to shake off the last bit of my heat-stroke.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 02/07/2018 02:21:13
Comet Collision

Spoiler
[close]
Yes, I was kind of panicking when I saw how close it was.

I'm only vaguely familiar with how those work. At my school the knowledge to make those only seemed to be passed on to girls while boys did paper airplanes and paper footballs.

Thanks for playing and commenting.

Mandle

My feedback on the games, updated as I play:

Ice In The Air
Spoiler
I haven't been able to get the game working on my old computer yet. It says "This is not a Win-32 application" or somesuch. Had the same problem with Lab Maze Rat. I'll try again on my work computer tomorrow.
UPDATE: The game ran properly on my work computer. I found that the game was bugged: After finding and reading the paper I found that I could put any one ingredient into the fire, even if I hadn't found them all, and win the game. I only had the matches, paper, and twig, but putting only the twig into the fire started the fire and won the game. I did go back and find all the other items, I think, but this was not a lot of fun because now I knew the game would not confirm if I had actually won or not and would just accept any single item to win. Graphics and mood were nice and the story was cute.
[close]

Don't Ice Your Cool
Spoiler
Charming although very short. An intro explaining how this situation came about would have been nice, but the player can just pretend this is just one stage in a larger game and make up their own story I guess. A few of the puzzles were a bit of the "Oh, that's not what I expected at all from that interaction, but... okaaay..." type, but I was happy to see that the orca doesn't the hook jabbed into it at the end like I was expecting so that's good. Maybe set the music to 50% as the default value? It is very loud at full volume! The animations are amazing and are the main star of this game in my opinion! It also looks like a lot of work went into the control panel design which seems a bit of overkill for such a short game but I suppose the design can be recycled for other projects. Great effort!
[close]
Comet Collision
Spoiler
Simple and provides a bit of fun but, is a Restart Game option too much to ask for?! I would have liked to continue playing and see all the endings but quitting and restarting the game every time after an ending got the better of my completionist side and I gave up. Most of the endings were abrupt with almost no way to guess what the "correct" choices were so I never really felt like I'd "won" the game even if the ending described a good outcome. I think this kind of gameplay really needs a longer build-up before any endings are reached to create the feeling that the player's choices actually matter and to make the player go back and play again because "I wonder what would have happened if I'd tried that instead". Of course this creates a more complex tree of choices, a lot more endings to write, and a lot more time to create the game. Still, some simple fun was had!
[close]

Groundhog
Spoiler
Pretty much what I expected from the game given the title. I do have to wonder though how thick Bill is that it took like four days to realize the day was on repeat. Couldn't he figure that out from how the rest of his day presumably went? I think having the game remember all the correct answers was maybe not needed. I think the average person could remember them all and feel just a little bit smarter having to select them once they were all known. If the girl had said that her favorite song was "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" I would have wanted an option to just never talk with her again. By the way, the theme song to Titanic is "My Heart Will Go On" not "Titanic". I did love the final cutscene: ice skating in Titanic pose was very cute! An unusual choice of material (but a fun one) from Slasher!
[close]

I voted for:
Spoiler
Don't Ice Your Cool. It was a hard choice between Groundhog, Ice In The Air, and Don't Ice Your Cool. I probably would have voted for Ice In The Air but a bug kind of spoiled the experience for me. I ended up voting for Don't Ice Your Cool mostly for the awesome animations which showed quite a bit of effort!
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: VampireWombat on Mon 02/07/2018 13:34:42
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 02/07/2018 02:21:13
Comet Collision

Spoiler
[close]
Yes, I was kind of panicking when I saw how close it was.

I'm only vaguely familiar with how those work. At my school the knowledge to make those only seemed to be passed on to girls while boys did paper airplanes and paper footballs.

Thanks for playing and commenting.

If I recall correctly, the paper airplanes were for during class and the fortune tellers for recess.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 02/07/2018 14:13:39
Comet Collision
Spoiler
Simple and provides a bit of fun but, is a Restart Game option too much to ask for?! I would have liked to continue playing and see all the endings but quitting and restarting the game every time after an ending got the better of my completionist side and I gave up. Most of the endings were abrupt with almost no way to guess what the "correct" choices were so I never really felt like I'd "won" the game even if the ending described a good outcome. I think this kind of gameplay really needs a longer build-up before any endings are reached to create the feeling that the player's choices actually matter and to make the player go back and play again because "I wonder what would have happened if I'd tried that instead". Of course this creates a more complex tree of choices, a lot more endings to write, and a lot more time to create the game. Still, some simple fun was had!
[close]

Spoiler
Given how sleep deprived I was yesterday and the fact I barely got it finished and submitted before the deadline... Yes. Anything more than there is too much to ask for. lol.
But if I get around to making an updated version, restart will be added.
I agree that the endings were abrupt. But my goal was just to have something finished for the deadline. A lot of sacrifices had to be made.
I wanted it to be less linear and to have an actual research tree. I also wanted gameplay in space and beyond. Hopefully this fall I'll have the time and energy to make a better version. Thanks for the comments and for playing.
[close]

Edit: Actually, I just made an updated version with a restart button. It can be found at the same link. It's the second download on the page.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 02/07/2018 14:13:39
Ice In The Air
Spoiler
I haven't been able to get the game working on my old computer yet. It says "This is not a Win-32 application" or somesuch. Had the same problem with Lab Maze Rat. I'll try again on my work computer tomorrow.
[close]

Uhm... could this be a problem/bug with the latest beta of AGS? 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Try downloading it again... as sometime this is an indication that windows hasn't fully downloaded the file.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk