MAGS June "Ice" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 01/06/2018 00:47:20

Previous topic - Next topic

What was your favourite game of MAGS June?

Groundhog by Slasher
2 (15.4%)
To the Mountains of Madness by Mandle
0 (0%)
Ice in the Air by Cassiebsg
1 (7.7%)
Comet Collision by VampireWombat
1 (7.7%)
Don't Ice your Cool by Hobo
9 (69.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: Mon 16/07/2018 00:16:44

Cassiebsg

Congrats Hobo. Was a little neat game you made there. (nod)

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 14/07/2018 10:46:59
The problem is that I tried,
Spoiler
but I couldn't light the fire even after putting the paper in the bonfire.
[close]

@Blondbraid
Spoiler

Did you got the match out of the box and lit it? Or were you just throwing the box or the unlit match at the bonfire?
Cause I have tested it and it's working just fine as intended.
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 16/07/2018 23:41:58
Congrats Hobo. Was a little neat game you made there. (nod)

Quote from: Blondbraid on Sat 14/07/2018 10:46:59
The problem is that I tried,
Spoiler
but I couldn't light the fire even after putting the paper in the bonfire.
[close]

@Blondbraid
Spoiler

Did you got the match out of the box and lit it? Or were you just throwing the box or the unlit match at the bonfire?
Cause I have tested it and it's working just fine as intended.
[close]
Aw, I didn't realize I could do that. :( I'll try it when I get back home again.

Cassiebsg

What would have been a decent clue there? I thought I had given enough, but guess not.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 17/07/2018 20:15:51
What would have been a decent clue there? I thought I had given enough, but guess not.

Spoiler
I don't remember exactly how the mechanic worked to take out a match from the box but I do remember that I stumbled upon it by accident and it surprised me at the time.

Whether or not I would have found it later, either on purpose or again by accident, I can't say.
[close]

Cassiebsg

It's a two click BASS standard... so right click in inventory (if not holding anything) will look/interact with the object.
Is the help not helpful enough?
When in inventory: (...) Right click to drop or use an item.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 18/07/2018 02:21:40
It's a two click BASS standard... so right click in inventory (if not holding anything) will look/interact with the object.
Is the help not helpful enough?
When in inventory: (...) Right click to drop or use an item.

Ahhh, so it was right click that did it. That's easy enough!

Having not played Beneath A Steel Sky until having joined AGS, and then only once, and not being an A-grade-student of well-known user interfaces I might be a good example of why this kind of interaction could be unknown or surprising to a player.

Also, I didn't read the help guide I guess... Most players won't though... Pretty much why games these days have a dumbed-down tutorial level at the start just to teach the player the controls... Mostly not possible in a MAGS of course...

Maybe just a big flashing warning at the start saying "YOUR MOUSE ALSO HAS A RIGHT BUTTON!!!" (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Oh right, maybe they didn't even find the "hidden" buttons. (laugh)
Okay, next time I'll make the GUI visible from the start, which might have been my idea all along but then forgot. (roll)

cat

A bit late to the party, but I just recently had time to play all the games. I thought I'd leave my comments here nonetheless:

Groundhog by Slasher:
Spoiler
It took me quite some time to see the pattern in the answers, I have to admit. It got annoying pretty soon having to redo all stuff just for one answer. I'd have preferred being able to ask let's say three different subjects until she became annoyed and we have to start over. Not one of my favourite Slasher games (because I usually enjoy them).
[close]
To the Mountains of Madness by Mandle
Spoiler
I picked my favourite characters and found the hidden exit button - I guess that counts as a win? (laugh)
[close]
Ice in the Air by Cassiebsg
Spoiler
Nice game, although a bit buggy. I was missing a reason why I would follow the recipe.
[close]
Comet Collision by VampireWombat
Spoiler
It was fun and made me chuckle a few times. Gotta love the tree-top-shelters (laugh)
[close]
Don't Ice your Cool by Hobo
Spoiler
Great graphics and animations although some of the puzzle solutions were a bit weird.
[close]

Beware that this is all based on the most recent version of the games which probably differ a bit from the MAGS version.

If I were able to vote, I'd go for
Spoiler
either Don't Ice your Cool or Comet Collision
[close]

Cassiebsg

The reason was "Why not? Got nothing else to do anyway, might as well see what it does..." ;)
What bugs did you encounter?

cat

Yeah, later on I thought so, but a comment like "I got nothing to do, let's try this" would have helped.

Regarding bugs:
Spoiler
I think I had to add some items multiple times (maybe I've also picked them up multiple times? Can't remember) Anyway, nothing serious.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Uhm. I'll check if any item can be picked up multiple times. Thought I had made it not to, but maybe I slipped... (roll)
Sure, I can add that to the next version, if I find that bug(s) and upload a new version.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk