Best resolution for 1920 x 1080

Started by Hobbes, Sun 03/06/2018 07:45:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Dear all,

I'm trying to get the best resolution available. I've started drawing backgrounds at 320 x 200. However there isn't a proper multiple of 320 x 200 to get to 1920 x 1080. I've now changed my resolution in-game to 320 x 180. This way a multiplication of 6 gives me proper 1920 x 1080 (320 x 6 = 1920 and 180 x 6 = 1080).

I do find that my graphics suddenly lean more towards the AGI sprite-size than the smaller pixel size of later SCI games, which is the style I'm going for. I'm curious to hear what resolution other people program their games at to get a proper fullscreen in AGS but still keeping the pixelart style very much intact.

VampireWombat

My current preference is 640 x 360. It's a decent compromise. But I was using RPG Maker for awhile until coming back to AGS. I like that I'm not limited to lower detail sprites.
Of course I'm also not trying to emulate the look of any specific style and I'm wanting to eventually have graphics that look as good as some of the Daedalic games.

Snarky

I wouldn't focus too much on optimizing for a particular resolution. 1920x1080 only has about a 20% market share on desktop, according to current stats (1366x768 remains more common), and Macs (7.5% share of current sales) and some PC models even use a different aspect ratio (16:10 instead of 16:9).

Crimson Wizard

Imho you're overthinking importance of roundly multiply to 1920x1080. Not everyone has these monitors, as Snarky said above, not everyone is playing AGS games in fullscreen (I know some people prefer windowed mode), and also AGS supports stretching game to any monitor with keeping aspect ratio, in the worst case that will add some black borders around the game in fullscreen mode.
Since you are making low-resolution game anyway, IMO its native size is too important design choice to rely on popular monitor size that may change as time goes.

Danvzare

Quote from: Hobbes on Sun 03/06/2018 07:45:57
I do find that my graphics suddenly lean more towards the AGI sprite-size than the smaller pixel size of later SCI games, which is the style I'm going for.
AGI games were at 160x200, while the play area for Day of the Tentacle (not including the 9-Verb bar) was around 320x144. So having a resolution of 320x180 should be more than enough for games that look similar to the old SCI games.

Matti

I agree. I did cut off 20 pixels for my current game too and I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

Hobbes

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Whilst I'm well aware of the old resolutions of AGI, SCI & SCUMM games, they were never stretched out to the screen in a 180 resolution. I'm not super happy with how that looks, so I'm moving back to 320 x 200. :-)

Next phase of this: palette... if I go for 256 colours, then I can use the colour cycling features in AGS, which could be really quite amazing when you see what the old games were able to do with that... to be continued! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk