Author Topic: Trails and Traces  (Read 467 times)

Trails and Traces
« on: 14 Jun 2018, 10:24 »

In 1695, Tew and his fellow pirates pursued a Mughal ship. His ship, The Amity, attacked the ship, the Fateh Muhammed. Tew was disemboweled by a cannon shot, and died instantly. Or did he?

Present day. Private Detective James Labbett takes a missing persons case, which unexpectedly leads to an adventure of discovering the truth of what happened to the pirate Thomas Tew, but he isn't the only one who has an interest..

This is a somewhat short game, coming to Steam in 2019.

The screenshots seem a little bit blurry to me, especially the main character, so here is a more accurate image of how the game looks, minus the mouse cursor etc. (This is a saved image from the Asesprite program I am using.)

I am developing this game by myself, and I am going to create the music with a gentle feel, using a harmonica as the main instrument. I am also going to do my own voices, but with the choice to turn the speech off! (I can't do the female voices though obviously, I'll worry about that at a later date.)

PROGRESS:
Story - 95%
Graphics - 10%
Scripting - 50%
Sound/Music - 5%
Speech - 0%

« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2018, 15:34 by ManicMatt »

CaptainD

• I can help with play testing
    •  
    • I can help with story design
    •  
    • I can help with voice acting
    •  
    • CaptainD worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
      CaptainD worked on a game that won an AGS Award!
Re: Trails and Traces - The Tomb of Thomas Tew
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2018, 10:49 »
I fully approve of the absolutely abominable additional alliteration! :-D

Re: Trails and Traces
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2018, 10:12 »
Ha, yeah I like it, although I'm thinking about just calling it Trails and Traces, should people think the game is just about a tomb?

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2018, 10:31 »
Looking forward to see more of this :) Keep us posted and good luck with the development!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2018, 11:48 »
Ha, yeah I like it, although I'm thinking about just calling it Trails and Traces, should people think the game is just about a tomb?

"Trails and Traces" sounds more like a game series to me, with "The Tomb of Thomas Tew" sounding like the actual game name.  But that could be just me!  (Reminds me of "Secret Files:" as a series of games.)

Would people think the game is only about a tomb, or that it's an important part of the plot?  Do people think Broken Sword is ONLY about a broken sword?  In that sense I wouldn't worry about it too much, just go with your gut instinct.

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2018, 20:02 »
LostTrainDude: Thanks! I sure will! :)

Captain D: Yeah, It's like Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars kind of title. I might stick to the full name come putting it on steam or making a Facebook page, but I'll keep it to the main title on this thread.

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2018, 04:12 »
Looking good! You say a "shortish" game but, yeah, it sounds like the kind of thing you could continue as a series if enough interest grows. So maybe keep that series-sounding name IMO.

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2018, 19:47 »
I really like the look of this. Finally an Uncharted game without all that boring combat and endless climbing :)
How much real and actual history are you planning inject into this? And "Trails and Traces" is a great name.

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2018, 20:39 »
Mandle: To be fair, that was my intention, even if the first one didn't have a subtitle and the second one did. I chose a name that was vague but also about following clues. It wasn't easy coming up with an original name!

Hobo: Thanks, and yeah SO much climbing in Uncharted 4! I wanted to do semi historical like in Broken Sword, but wasn't sure what subject matter to go for, until I was in a supermarket and from afar a magazine had the names PIRATES ablazoned across it, and I took it to be a sign! I looked into different pirates to find something I could use, and that Thomas Tew had a place in New Rhode Island gave me some ideas for locations. So yeah it's a mixture of genuine and made up.

horusr

• Just joining everything for no reason.
    •  
    • I can help with translating
    •  
    •  
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2018, 11:08 »
Do people think Broken Sword is ONLY about a broken sword?

For years i thought Broken Sword is a middle age game, similar to King's Quest and even thought it is same with King's Quest (laugh)

Anyway, looks good Matt. Keep up the good work.

CaptainD

•  
    •  
    •  
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2018, 12:02 »
Do people think Broken Sword is ONLY about a broken sword?
For years i thought Broken Sword is a middle age game, similar to King's Quest and even thought it is same with King's Quest (laugh)

Don't ruin what I thought was a perfectly valid point! :-D

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2018, 15:37 »
I changed my title logo to something that may not be pixel art, but sure as hell looks better!

Thanks Horusr! Haha I never thought of it like that with Broken Sword. I guess like with odd band names, you just get used to hearing them.