Game crashed during credits

Started by doctorhibert, Sun 17/06/2018 22:12:46

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorhibert

Hello. I got a friend to playtest my game, and he told me the game crashed at the end when the credits are supposed to happen

Here is a screenshot of the error message
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/919179300264432864/18991CBE2BBE8CCC1F8CEBAC43B7910DC1A625D4/

I also got the .dmp file but I don't know how to open it. Here it is: https://my.mixtape.moe/qwqqez.dmp

Crimson Wizard

Question: does you friend have a saved game from somewhere before the crash, and if yes, is it possible to repeat same error?
If there is would be a save not long before the crash, that could make it much easier to find out the cause.

EDIT: I checked the crashdump, and the crash is occuring when the new room is about to start. Can't tell much more, because the dumps AGS makes have limited information i nthem (for the sake of saving disk space). But it has something to do with the room size.

What native resolution your game has? Could be that the room has smaller background than the rest of the game? Do you use "Letterbox" option in the project settings?

doctorhibert

Game doesn't have saving enabled so that's not possible.

The game's resolution is 320x240, and there is no background. Since it's the credits, it's just a black screen with two characters on either side, and a display shows the credits. I don't see a letterbox option anywhere, but I don't think I have it enabled, I just have stretch preserving aspect ratio

Cassiebsg

Uhm... you have to have a BG, even if the BG is just a black image, you still need it. 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: doctorhibert on Mon 18/06/2018 15:14:42
Game doesn't have saving enabled so that's not possible.

Oh... well, that's not very convenient.
But surely there should be a way to script jumping into the final room right before the credits to test out this bug. Have you tried that before, and if yes, did the bug also happen or no?

Quote from: doctorhibert on Mon 18/06/2018 15:14:42
The game's resolution is 320x240, and there is no background. Since it's the credits, it's just a black screen with two characters on either side, and a display shows the credits.

Do you mean that you did not change background after creating a room?
I don't remember exactly what AGS does in such case. It should create a dummy black bitmap when room is created, but the question is, what size is it (320x240 or 320x200). If it's wrong size, then it's possible that something bad happens.
(Need to test this out)

doctorhibert

Yeah I already jumped to the final room and the room before it, and couldn't replicate it. The background is just the default one you get when you create a blank room, which is just black. I've never had this problem before, when I tested it, when my friends tested it, and when this person tested it beforehand, so I don't know why it's happening

Matti

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 18/06/2018 15:35:36
Uhm... you have to have a BG, even if the BG is just a black image, you still need it. 8-0

I thought so too. Have you tried importing a background?

doctorhibert

I haven't tried, but I also haven't been able to replicate the crash, so I don't know what difference it'd make. Do you think maybe it could be something on his end, or something one off?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk