Problem setting audiochannel volume.

Started by Ali, Tue 19/06/2018 15:46:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

I'm playing music by calling a function called playMusicContinuous, which is supposed to check the level of the volume slider (MusicVol). Except it doesn't work. When I lower the slider to 0, the music cuts out, but when I enter the next room, it plays at normal volume.

In the GlobalScript I have:
Code: ags
function playMusicContinuous (AudioClip* clip){
  channelMusic = clip.PlayFrom(musicPos[cN.Room], eAudioPriorityNormal, eRepeat);
  channelMusic.Volume = MusicVol.Value;
}

In the room script I have:

// script for Room: Player enters screen (after fadein)
playMusicContinuous (aMusic1ogg);

The volume is not set correctly. This doesn't work either:

Wait(1);

But this DOES work after playing for a few seconds:

Wait(150);

Does that make sense to anyone?

Snarky

The obvious questions are what MusicVol.Value is, where its value is set, and if you've checked that it has the value you assume when you use it to set the channelMusic volume.

Ali

Yes, MusicVol.Value is 0 throughout.

If I do this:

Display (String.Format ("MusicVol: %d", MusicVol.Value));

It mutes the music only after displaying "MusicVol: 0". Just like before, setting the volume only works when there's some kind of delay.

EDIT: I have given up on making sense of this, and am using Game.SetAudioTypeVolume(eAudioTypeMusic, MusicVol.Value, eVolExistingAndFuture) instead. It would be very helpful in the help document if SetMusicVolume redirected to this function instead of AudioChannel.Volume.

Snarky

Yeah, sorry, I have no clue either.

morganw

Are you accidentally cross-fading with yourself, and 150 ticks is enough to clear the cross-fade duration?

Ali

That is probably exactly what I'm doing. Crossfade is on. Good thinking!

But it's not very intuitive. It's far from obvious that you can't set a channel's volume if it's currently fading.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Ali on Wed 20/06/2018 23:00:25
But it's not very intuitive. It's far from obvious that you can't set a channel's volume if it's currently fading.

This was mentioned as an issue in another thread not long ago. Crossfade overrides volume, iirc forcing it to go from 0 to max.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk