Older game template into latest AGS

Started by Insight-Out, Wed 20/06/2018 17:06:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Insight-Out

Hello there,
I am trying to import the MMM starter pack with Bernard's house and I can't seem to be able to... I am importing it into 2.71 where it runs properly (so it's converted from the even older version) and after I save it it won't quite run to the newer version.
Any tips? so sorry if this was posted again... a quick forum search didn't heed any related results.

Thanos

Crimson Wizard

Usual method is:
- import into 2.72 and save a project.
- import 2.72 project into modern AGS.
- if necessary: adjust backwards-compatibility settings, if nothing else works: update module scripts by hand.

What version of AGS you are importing in, and what errors do you get?

Insight-Out

Thank you for your fast reply Crimson Wizard!
and sorry for not noticing earlier, I though I'd get some sort of email notification!
here's the error log.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hQAEI38GteTD6-NGQW6puOW_67mwauqa/view?usp=sharing

I think it's 2.7.1 and I run it on 2.7.2 normally, and when I save the project I get this log while importing it on 3.4
... Thank you for your attention!

Crimson Wizard

This log only tells that game project XML is bad, providing no details.

But 2.72 project does not have XMLs, it has a binary ac2game.dta file.

How do you do the import?

Could you also post a link where one may donwload the old template?

Insight-Out

Crimson Wizard

I tried this with two editors.

AGS 3.4.0 just crashes during import. The error is different though, something related to corrupted memory.
AGS 3.4.1 opens the game successfully. Actually, 3.4.1 is able to open original (2.71) version without saving it in 2.72 first.

In 3.4.1 we upgraded the import mechanics to let it load older games, perhaps that is related. Please try 3.4.1, and tell if you still have any problems.

PS. note that you should probably make "Rebuild All files" in the new editor before using the game, since rooms need to be updated too.

Crimson Wizard

Hmm, I tried to actually compile the game to see what happens, and there seem to be another import problem.

If you open the game in 2.72, you will see that there are a lot of Characters called "dummy" with no script name (field is empty). I did not know such thing is allowed in AGS, but maybe something has changed since.

When the game is imported into AGS 3.* all these characters are assigned script names like "cC". This causes "symbol already defined" compilation error.
One would have to go through all of those characters and make sure the names are little different, for example "cC1", "cC2", or "cDummy1" and so on.

Maybe there are other issues, but I did not have time to test this out further.

EDIT: Actually, the real characters script names are also converted incorrectly. For example, cBernard became cCbernard, cEdna became cCedna, and so on. Idk what's going on there, but there may be a specific bug in this version of AGS.
These script names need to be fixed, to prevent script errors.

Insight-Out

Hmmm, curious that! Thank you so very much for looking into it...
I'd rather use the German version rather than figure this out myself!
I will try changing the names in 2.72!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Insight-Out on Mon 25/06/2018 19:05:54
I will try changing the names in 2.72!

They may be changed in 3.4.1 too.

Were you able to actually open game in the new editor?

Crimson Wizard

I made a patch to the 3.4.1 Editor that fixed incorrect character names import (will release it officially in a short while):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3evtmxvim9wmecg/ags-3.4.1-pre-patch3.zip?dl=0
(you may simply replace these files in 3.4.1 installation)

Insight-Out

Thanks endlessly! Sorry for the late reply... is there any chance to be getting emails when a comment has been replied? you Are a wizard, aren't you? I started working on the German version to be fair because I couldn't make it work. here's where I am at at the minute www.locomotivegame.com

Insight-Out

You got a mention on the blog too... Thank you for all your help!!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Insight-Out on Thu 02/08/2018 13:34:33
Thanks endlessly! Sorry for the late reply... is there any chance to be getting emails when a comment has been replied?

When posting, click on "Attachments and other options", there is "Notify me of replies" checkbox.
But for some reason it is not visible when you do "Quote" or "Quick reply"... you may try clicking "Modify" on your previous post and checking this box there (not sure if that works).

Anyway, there is now an official AGS 3.4.1 release with these fixes I made for you -
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56244.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk