How to get quality Fonts

Started by henrikes, Wed 27/06/2018 21:30:46

Previous topic - Next topic

henrikes

Hi,

Is there a way to have quality fonts in AGS?

My fonts always look pixelated...

eri0o

Which resolution you are working?

Crimson Wizard

In AGS fonts are always drawn in the game's native resolution. If your game for example is 320x200, everything will look pixelated no matter what.

If your game is hi-res, then you should be able to import hi-res bitmap fonts or TTF fonts with high "size" value that may look better.

Additionally, if you are using TTF fonts, you may try enabling "Anti-alias TTF fonts" in General Settings ("Text output" section). But the result may vary depending on fonts.

henrikes

Resolçution is 1280 x 720

Using a TrueTypeFont and I cant get the font to look smooth.

Example:

Crimson Wizard

I am not sure it may get smoother than that without antialiasing. Have you tried turning "Anti-alias TTF fonts" and checking how they look like in game?
(I don't remember if antialiasing is used on font preview).

henrikes

Without Anti alising

With Anti alising

Crimson Wizard

Images seem to be not working.

henrikes

Khris

There's a noticeable difference, but it would still be better to post PNGs instead (lossless compression, no artifacts). It's always a good idea to use PNGs over JPGs, but it's kind of crucial when it's all about rendering quality ;)

Disregarding the bad quality of the screenshot, the AA version looks perfectly fine to me.

ManicMatt

The t's are missing the top outlines at the top, in the AA image. I don't think that's from compression?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: ManicMatt on Fri 29/06/2018 23:18:02
The t's are missing the top outlines at the top, in the AA image. I don't think that's from compression?

Hmm, perhaps that's the issue with "Automatic outline" and antialiasing combined.

Okay, I have to admit that this is where my general knowledge of fonts ends. Perhaps someone else may give an advice?

Snarky

Yeah, I've had a lot of issues with outlining AA fonts. I ended up writing some code to do the outlining manually instead:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55544.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk