Author Topic: Help with The Clockwork Labyrinth  (Read 2717 times)

Re: Help with The Clockwork Labyrinth
« Reply #40 on: 21 Aug 2018, 14:40 »
  I did hope that I might have provided sufficent clues for a walkthrough to be unnecessary, and I have included solutions to a few of the harder puzzles in the Museum of Curiosities.

I also try to answer personally any cries for help on individual puzzles.  If you send me a PM I will always answer it.

To be honest, after many hours of trying this over the course of a few weeks, I just dropped it. I know that some people found it playable but while I usually complete most games with few to no hints, I found myself asking for help more than actually playing and I gave up. I am not criticizing but I hope this feedback is helpful in future games.

Some positive feedback: the graphics and animation are BEAUTIFUL! Probably the strongest part of the game. Some of the puzzles I completed and enjoyed.

Just to round out my thoughts: in addition to the problem with the puzzles, I found most of my time just wandering the maze finding it very difficult to navigate even using mapping on graph paper. Some sort of story unfolding during the course of a game keeps the player wanting to play. Otherwise, even if the puzzles were solvable then the player's only reward for solving a puzzle is another puzzle to solve. I think that's really why I ran out of motivation to continue.

Good luck in future games!
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2018, 14:48 by Shadow1000 »

Mandle

• NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!
    • Mandle worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #41 on: 22 Aug 2018, 03:00 »
Some sort of story unfolding during the course of a game keeps the player wanting to play. Otherwise, even if the puzzles were solvable then the player's only reward for solving a puzzle is another puzzle to solve.

I think the game is really aimed at players who love solving puzzles above all else. For this kind of player unlocking a new puzzle is a reward in and of itself.

Not saying that a bit more story progression during the game would go astray at all. But there are only so many hours in the day and this game already must have taken months or years to produce.

Oh and, perhaps the last few comments in this thread could be moved by a mod to the game release thread instead of here in Hints and Tips...

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #42 on: 24 Aug 2018, 14:40 »
I agree, this is a game for those that love to solve the puzzles and find it rewarding just to solve each puzzle self. I feel this kind of player is a dying (barely breathing) race thought. (wtf)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

elentgirl

• You are only as old as your Avatar!
    • elentgirl worked on a game that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #43 on: 24 Aug 2018, 16:11 »
I have written a User Guide for anyone needing help with The Clockwork Labyrinth.  It contains mainly hints, plus some solutions.
It can be downloaded from my website: www.elenheart.me.uk/page19.html
or directly from here: https://app.box.com/s/ybtx991zcupjb3pkyir6s2258kxidk8x

« Reply #44 on: 10 Oct 2018, 16:20 »
That took a while ;)

Thanks for the guide, I probably wouldn't have completed the game without it.

Awesome atmosphere, good puzzles overall. I would have been happy with a little more story, but realise that wasn't the point of this game.

A mixed bundle of observation/feedback:

The gnome-puzzle
Add spoiler tag for Hidden:
I basically cheated and looked up. I had the first part right, but hadn't figured out the second part at all.

St George
beat the dragon by trial and error - even after seeing the solution, I think I would probably have missed this one

For the sphinxes
I needed the hint to see the obvious

Madame Mystic
Without the pirate treasure map, I would certainly have missed this one

The steam pump
I needed a hint mostly to reassure me, that it was solvable at all for other than blue. I'm still not sure why I can connect the pipes to the bottom outlet, but not the right ones, without leaking

Figuring out the sun cross
I spent a solid hour trying to turn this into a set of equations Wolfram Alpha would sove for me. Gave up. The spent half an hour eliminating possibilites by hand

Sacred objects
Placed them all correctly. Then rearranged them frustratedly until I read the hint book and figured out I had to press the hand

the Museum of Curiosities
This changed the pace of the game a lot. Suddenly lots of hints are available, including lots of stuff that you already firgured out at this point. For instance, I had a decent map of the caves of confusion at this point, and don't see how I could have opened the museum without it, except by stumbling upon the sphinx by mistake. It was a welcome change of pace, however. At this point a had felt stuck grinding through the metal maze for a while, and suddenly having all these new avenues to explore (and the teleportation device) brought my attention back to the game. I feel I could have used the museum of curiousities a little earlier in the game

Finally a nagging question

The Utility Room contains a locked heart box with controls - is this simply a red herring?

Thanks for an entertaining game.

Best,
  Kåre