Converting Midi's to MP3

Started by Nixxon, Tue 22/04/2003 02:20:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Nixxon

Anyone know of a viable way to convert Midi's to MP3?
I've used methods such as playing the midi then recording straight to cool edit, it always ends up skipping due to my CPU (in)capabilities (AMD k6-2 350).
I have Fruity Loops 3, but have to reassign the instruments.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Archangel (aka SoupDragon)

First, technically it's not 'converting' it's 'rendering' :P

Second, buy a better cpu, enable dma on your hardrive, buy more ram. Because the only way of recording MIDI to MP3 without using your processor would be to connect the speaker out on your computer to an external recording device, then playing it back in the line in afterwards.

Or buy a hardware synth :P

Nixxon

ren·der - Pronunciation Key  (rndr)
tr.v. ren·dered, ren·der·ing, ren·ders
- Computer Science. To convert (graphics) from a file into visual form, as on a video display.

That's a pain in the nads :(
Don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to "render" them for me. (must have 2k - XP midi drivers)

Here's the URL -
www.geocities.com/ibexgames/songs.zip
(Save Target As)

Btw  8) since this is indeed the critics lounge, anyone willing to C&C these is welcome :)
Decent Midi drivers are recommend though, i tried these on a default win98 midi driver.... sounded like a toddler urinating on a rattle snake.

BOYD1981

there's a prog called MIDINight Express that can render midi to wav form, perhaps even mp3, i downloaded it a while ago but haven't used it yet...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

n3tgraph

Quote from: IbeX on Tue 22/04/2003 02:39:44
indeed the critics lounge, anyone willing to C&C these is welcome :)
Decent Midi drivers are recommend though, i tried these on a default win98 midi driver.... sounded like a toddler urinating on a rattle snake.

Hmm, I always thought the quality of gen midi comes from the soundcard ???

anyhow... Arch is right, I always use my hardware synthesizer to render mp3's from midi which provides great quality and top sound. You could even sing with it ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Nixxon

BOYD1981 , i downloaded midinight... gave me hassles about prg files.
I managed to record my midi's through sound recorder without any clicks/pops, however there's a constant hiss in the background.
I proceeded to use cool edit's hiss eliminator, didn't seem to make an ounce of difference.
You're right N3TGraph, if u have a decent sound card with updated driver's your Midi's should sound decent on all OS's.
However win 2k/XP provides great generic midi drivers for all cards (inc on board cards).
Hence the reason i wish to convert my Midi's to MP3 so that all players will hear high quality Midi's. (even if they're really MP3's :P)

n3tgraph

okay, that's true... but the reason why most of us use midi's is because of the size.

midi is like 10 kb and a mp3 is at least 1,2 mb
* N3TGraph airguitars!

jannar85

I use beatnik, then I record, then I convert the wav to mp3. :)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Nixxon

Yeh I'm justifying quantity for quality at this point in time... kinda hard spending hours developing a 40 second midi knowing 60% of the general populouse is gonna hear a downgraded version  :-\

Thanks Jannar, i'll give that a go :)

Btw anyone tried out those songs yet?

n3tgraph

nope... haven't been home - yet
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Nixxon

Damn you work long hours  :P

n3tgraph

I think it's more a timezone matter ;D
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Nixxon

naaaah man, i did my research :P

Re:Converting Midi's to MP3
« Reply #4 on: Today at 07:58 »

Posted by: N3TGraph  
Posted on: Today at 14:46

- Ok 7 hours... feels like an eternity to this fragile little mind

Nixxon

Beatnik is a nice peice of ass, apart from destroying cakewalk's midi in/out puts... even after restarting.

n3tgraph

yeah well actually I start at 8:30 and end at 16:30

but yeah 7,5 hours a day - is average I think :)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Nixxon

OK seriously jannar, beatnik has in some way, shape or form raped cakewalk... rebooted, reinstalled... can't get my midi in/out ports back... tried every combination in the device selection menu...
PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ONE!!!!  

n3tgraph

hey hey hey take it easy, jannar only tried to help :)

okay try this:
go to start - control panel - then click the icon with the little speaker (I have dutch windows so I don't know how it's called)

when clicked, go to the tab that reads 'audio'
check if the midi device isn't set to mpu401. OR check if the midi device is properly set ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Nixxon

Jannar knows i love him :D
The midi's still play in media player and beatnik... just not cakewalk... really depressing :P

n3tgraph

ooooooh :)

that problem is easy fixed
start windows explorer
go to menu-option 'extra'
click on folder-options or something
click on the tab named file types (or something)
find the extensions *.mid and *.midi
you'll see a line which says open with:

change the programme to cakewalk, and you are set

I do have a dutch windows, so don't bug me if some options have different names

* N3TGraph airguitars!

Nixxon

hehe sorry think we got our lines crossed... I "can" play the files in cakewalk.... they just dont make any sound... where as they make sound in media player and beatnik

(EDIT)
They stopped making any sound in cakewalk the moment i installed beatnik... I've even reinstalled cakewalk. Checked the midi in/out ports etc.

Gilbert

Try to look up for some setting/configuration menu in cakewalk and change the MIDI output devices there.

n3tgraph

???

okay so I'm confused, you did it ;)

well, that can only be a setting in cakewalk imo
I never used cw before so I don't know where to look :P soz
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Nixxon

lol, I am the ultimate miasma N3TGraph!

Gilbot V7000a, as I previously stated, i've tried every combination of in/out put in the devices menu.

This is so rooted, really hope this thread doesn't become locked before someone can help me out  :P
Die w/o my cakewalk

Anyone wanna C&C the songs?
www.geocities.com/ibexgames/songs.zip

Sluggo

I like the midis. They sound cool. Crazy, but cool. I guess what I don't like about them is the lack of structure and melody/direction in most of it. As of now it doesn't really make any sense. The short three second ones are fine the way they are. I'm talking about the longer ones.

:)

Nixxon

Yea your right :D
I have trouble making music flow without it sounding looped :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk