WEREWOLF GAME (GAME OVER & DISCUSSION)

Started by Mandle, Sat 14/07/2018 17:14:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

AGS WEREWOLF
GAME ROUND #1

Werewolves have infiltrated a tiny village!
Can the villagers rid their town of this evil
before they, themselves, are all devoured?

Town Roles:

The players who have Town roles do not know the roles of any other players. They will only be informed by the game host via PM of their own specific randomly-determined Town role.

Any player in the game is welcome to communicate with any other player via any form of outside communication (PM, group chat, IRC, facebook, telephone, facebook, etc.) but Town players should probably think long and deeply before doing so... Your "trusted friend" could be a wolf in cheap clothing!

Villager:
Ability: None
Alignment: Good
Description: A villager is just a normal member of the town. They have no special ability.

Goal: A villager's goal is to help eliminate all Evil alignment players from the town. A villager's only real tool to help do so is their daily vote for who to lynch. A villager wins the game even if killed before this goal is obtained and thus should be willing to sacrifice themself in the place of a more important Good role if such a situation arises.

The Seer:
Ability: Scan another player's role once per night phase.
Description: Possessing psychic powers, the seer may select another player to scan once per night phase. That player's role will become known to the seer. Selection of player and scan result is done via PM with the game host.

Goal: The seer's goal is to help eliminate all evil alignment players from the town. The seer should also seek to keep their role secret from the Evil players for as long as possible as the Evil players will be searching for the seer as their most valuable kill on their path to victory. The seer should be very careful with whom they privately share the intel they have gathered on the Evil players and should probably only publicly reveal their role and this intel in a desperate situation or if the importance of the data outweighs the risk of their own death. The seer wins along with the rest of the town if all Evil players are elimated from the town, even if the seer is already dead by this point.

The Fool:
Ability: None
Alignment: Neutral
Description: The village idiot.

Goal: The fool's goal is to get themself lynched. The fool only wins if they have been lynched. Getting killed in any other way does not count, nor can they win along with the normal town goal of eliminating all Evil players. A win by the fool does not negate any other wins in the round nor does it stop the round from continuing. The fool should try their best to somehow pose as an Evil player to hasten their lynching.

The Bodyguard:
Ability: Guard one player per night phase.
Description: The bodyguard is willing to sacrifice themself to save the life of the one they are guarding. Each night-phase the bodyguard may communicate to the game host via PM the name of the player they are guarding. If the guarded player is selected to be killed that night-phase then the bodyguard will be killed in their place and the guarded player will survive.

Goal: The bodyguard wins along with the rest of the town if all Evil players are eliminated. The bodyguard wins whether still alive at this point or not.

Scum Roles:

The players who have Scum roles all know the identity of all other scum players. This information will be given to them by the game host via PM at the start of the game.

The Scum players are strongly advised to get in touch with each other via any form of outside communication (PM, group chat, IRC, facebook, telephone, facebook, etc.) to organise their team strategy for defeating the Town...

Werewolf:
Ability: Participate in one nightly kill. Knows who all the other werewolves and alpha werewolf are.
Alignment: Evil
Description: Every night the werewolves change from human to wolf. The alpha werewolf decides the target that they will attack and kill.

Goal: The werewolves' goal is to kill all non-werewolf players. In reality this usually means reducing the town population to the point where the good players can no longer maintain a majority or tied vote against them for lynching. All werewolf players win the game at this point whether alive or dead. The werewolves should try their best to appear to be a non-werewolf role by whatever means possible.

Alpha Werewolf:
Ability: Decide on and participate in one nightly kill. Knows who all the other werewolves are.
Alignment: Evil
Description: Every night the werewolves change from human to wolf. The alpha werewolf decides the target that they will attack and kill. This decision is communicated to the game host via PM. If the alpha werewolf is ever killed (or goes inactive) a new alpha is chosen from amongst the remaining werewolves randomly by the game host.

Goal: The werewolves' goal is to kill all non-werewolf players. In reality this usually means reducing the town population to the point where the good players can no longer maintain a majority or tied vote against them for lynching. All werewolf players win the game at this point whether alive or dead. The werewolves should try their best to appear to be a non-werewolf role by whatever means possible.

Current Role Setup:

Villagers: 3
Seer: 1
Fool: 1
Bodyguard: 1

Werewolves: 2
Alpha Werewolf: 1

Mandle

Gameplay Structure And Rules

Werewolf games have two phases: Day Phase and Night Phase.

Day Phase

During the Day Phase every member of the village is awake and able to post discussion and votes for lynching in the thread.

There are not many character roles which have abilities usable during the Day Phase. No such characters exist in this round so the Day Phase is only for talking and voting at the moment.

People not participating in the game or players who have died are not welcome to post in the thread at all, but are encouraged to watch on as passive viewers.

Official votes for a lynch candidate should be posted in this format:

Vote: Player's name (and, yes, please bold the vote text so the game host will not miss your vote)

Votes are never final until the Day Phase has officially ended and may be changed at any time until then.

Changed votes must be reposted and the original post never is to be edited! Which brings us to:

IMPORTANT RULES:

NEVER EDIT ANY OF YOUR POSTS FOR ANY REASON! IF YOU POST AND NOTICE ANYTHING IN YOUR POST THAT YOU WISH TO CHANGE IN ANY WAY THEN YOU MUST REPOST THE CORRECTION RATHER THAN EVER EDIT AN EXISTING POST.

NEVER SHOW A SCREENSHOT OF ANY PM YOUR HAVE RECEIVED FROM THE GAME HOST OR COPY/PASTE FROM ONE OR RETYPE TEXT FROM ONE OR IN ANY OTHER WAY ABUSE THIS RULE TO PROVIDE PROOF OF YOUR ROLE, OR FOR WHATEVER OTHER REASON.
Spoiler
For example: Telling another player via outside communication or posting in the thread that you have important Seer information about roles is fine, but directly quoting the PM sent from the game host from which this infromation was obtained, showing a screenshot of it, etc. is forbidden!)
[close]
EVIL PLAYERS SHOULD ALWAYS CONSULT WITH TEAM MEMBERS FIRST AND OBTAIN PERMISSION FROM THE MEMBER IN QUESTION BEFORE PUBLICLY OUTING THEM AS AN EVIL PLAYER AND/OR STARTING A VOTING TREND AGAINST THEM.
Spoiler
This rule exists to avoid resentment from growing within the ranks of the players in this game. It may become advantageous or even necessary at some point for the Evil players to sacrifice one or more of their own on purpose as part of their win strategy. This is known as "Throwing under the bus" in WW game terminology and is a perfectly legal move in the game. But please ask the member to be sacrificed beforehand if you plan to do this and make sure they are okay with it. The only exception would be when the player in question has gone inactive from the game and is unreachable by all other lines of communication. In this case they only have themself to blame.

Casual speculation about same-team members as being the guilty party is perfectly fine in most cases as long as the motive was for the good of the team and not intended to harm the team's or that particular player's chances in the game. This is, in fact, usually a vital strategy in winning for the Evil team players so they do not appear solidated in the eyes of the Good players. Planning such strategies out with your team members via outside communication is strongly advised, of course. Use common sense here and all should be fine.

Jumping on a bandwagon vote already established by another non-team player against a same-team member is legal without prior consultation as there may not be time to do so, but please try to consult beforehand if at all possible, or at least apologize afterwards.
[close]
PLAYERS MAY COMMUNICATE WITH EACH OTHER VIA OUTSIDE MEANS: PM, PRIVATE GROUP FORUMS, PRIVATE IRC CHAT, FACEBOOK, TELEPHONE, CARRIER PIGEON, MENTAL TELEPATHY, OR ANY OTHER MEANS AVAILABLE. BUT PLEASE NEVER BREAK THE RULE MENTIONED ABOVE CORNCERNING DIRECT USE OF GAME HOST PMS.
Spoiler
In fact, outside communication is vital to the players whether they be Town or Scum, Evil or Good. Just be careful about who you talk with on the side. Trickery is allowed of course but rule-breaking shenanigans are not! Use common sense here please and, if in doubt, ask the game host first if the move you are planning is legal or not.
[close]
PLAYERS MAY LIE TO, TRICK, DECEIVE, OR OTHERWISE BULLSHIT, OTHER PLAYERS AS PART OF THEIR STRATEGY FOR OBTAINING THEIR WIN CONDITIONS AS LONG AS DOING SO DOES NOT BREAK ANY OF THE ABOVE RULES.
Spoiler
Werewolf games are all about playing your cards close to your chest and/or lying your ass off depending on what your role is. I hope the game can be played at a mature and pure level here in AGS without people bringing their RL friendships into the game or taking anything back out from the game to damage such friendships. Nobody should assume a RL friend is their friend in the game, nor should anyone feel that a RL friend has hurt their feelings by tricking them in the game. Common sense advice, I know, but I have seen such things happen in this game. As long as everyone has a laugh and remains friends at the end of the day no matter what happens then the game is a success.
[close]
These are the Important Rules I can think of at the moment, but may be updated in the future if the need arises.

Day Phase will be about 48 hours or perhaps a bit longer depending on the RL schedule of the game host.

The game host will post now and then to provide a general idea of the amount of time left, especially when time is growing short, but Day Phases may end suddenly at any point around or after the 48 hours so get those votes in while you can. Remember that they can always be changed later if you are in time!

Once the Day Phase has ended the Lynching takes place if a majority vote on a single player has been reached.

If a majority vote has not been reached then no player is lynched and the Day Phase ends.

Tied votes for the player to be lynched result in a stalemate and no player is lynched and the Day Phase ends.

It is not a requirement that the village lynch a player every Day Phase.

A lynched player's role is revealed after their death.

A lynched player may no longer post in this thread but is welcome to continue outside communication and passively follow the game progress in the thread.

For example: If the Seer is lynched by mistake it is legal for them to PM all other players and provide their list of scanned players to date. It's just assumed that they left a journal behind to be discovered or something like that. Of course, it is more dramatic if they do so while still alive in the thread as their final words, but sometimes RL timing doesn't allow such theatrics.

This brings us to:

Night Phase

During Night Phase most of the village is asleep and nobody may post in the game thread.

It is now time for all players with Night Phase abilities to PM their choices to the game host:

The Seer should PM the name of the player they are scanning this night.

The Bodyguard should PM the name of the player they are guarding this night, if any.

The Alpha Werewolf should PM the name of the player the werewolf pack will attack and kill this night.

Night Phase will last about 24 hours or until all night action PMs have been received by the game host.

It is legal to PM the game host with your night action before the Night Phase starts if, for any reason, you cannot maybe be active during the next Night Phase.

At the end of the Night Phase the game host will send out PMs to players who did private night actions such as scanning with the results.

Then the game host will open the next Day Phase, starting with a report on any casualties which may have occured during the night.

Any players killed during the Night Phase must immediately follow the same rules as lynched players (see above): They may no longer post in this thread but are welcome to continue outside communication and passively follow the game progress in the thread.

If, at any point, the werewolves equal or outnumber the other players they win the game as there is no way for the other players to gain a majority vote against them for lynching choices. This rule may be slightly different in future rounds which include roles that have a chance to kill werewolves during the Night Phases.

And that's pretty much it. If I come across any rules I forgot to mention or anything else crops up during gameplay which demands a rule update I will mention it at that time and also update this post.

Mandle

I AM CURRENTLY RANDOMLY PICKING ROLES WITH SLIPS OF PAPER FROM A FOAM BEER HOLDER AND THEN I WILL PM THE PLAYERS WITH SAID ROLES AND WILL ANNOUNCE THE GAME START HERE...

STAND BY...

Okay, done:

GAME ON!!!

AN ISOLATED VILLAGE AWAKENS ONE MORNING TO FIND SEVERAL OF THEIR LIVESTOCK MUTILATED WITH WOLF TRACKS TURNING BACK INTO HUMAN FOOTPRINTS LEADING IN THE DIRECTION OF THE TOWN!

THERE IS ONLY ONE POSSIBILITY!

THE CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF HAS BEFALLEN THIS TOWN!

CAN THE VILLAGERS SURVIVE OR WILL THE WEREWOLVES FEAST UPON THEM?!

DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUN!!!

TURN #1
DAY PHASE

[IMGZOOM]http://i68.tinypic.com/n21ydi.png[/IMGZOOM]

Players:

(In order of sign-up)

Josiah: Alive
PrivateerPuddin: Alive
VampireWombat: Alive
Cassie: Alive
Sinitrena: Alive
Dayowlron: Alive
Stupot: Alive
Selmiak: Alive
Riaise: Alive

(I have removed numbers and extra letters from some players' names to make it easier for people to remember how to type them during the game)

Current Roles:

Villagers: 3
Seer: 1
Fool: 1
Bodyguard: 1

Werewolves: 2
Alpha Werewolf: 1

The first Day Phase is now open for discussion and voting.

From now on only alive players may post in the thread.

Please read all of the above role descriptions, gameplay, and important rules before continuing...

As stated above this Day phase will last about 48 hours (see above)...

Best of luck to all!

Cassiebsg

So... what now? Should I just go out to buy some fruit in the market or something else? ???
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

My first instinct would be to roast some pigs and lock up anyone who's not hungry. But I suppose anyone who saw the entrails hanging from fences this morning might not have much of an appetite.
Maybe some kind of town meeting is in order?

Cassiebsg

A town meeting sounds like a good idea! (nod)

dayowlron

town meeting come to order. first act of business it to pick a leader. to save time i self proclaim that i am the leader and we need to pick someone to lynch before nightfall. I would say we could go alphabetically but that would get me lynched on the second day. Maybe we could go by the number of letters in their name? Can we lynch Mandle for not sharing that beer with the town?
I am pretty hungry myself I say we roast any remaining pigs. Fruit sounds good also. I am going to hop down to the market to buy supplies.
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
This fact can clearly be seen,                  Don't you know?
If progress means to move forward         Just ask them where they are from
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

Cassiebsg

Why should you be the leader? For all I know, you could be the beast that killed our herd last night! 8-0

dayowlron

It could have been you also. and I told you why I should be leader, cause to save time i am self proclaiming myself.
Just to start it off and I can change it
Vote: Cassiebsg
Pro is the opposite of Con                       Kids of today are so much different
Then what does congress mean?             And they tell you where you can go.  --Nipsey Russell

VampireWombat

I believe dayowlron is but a fool and shouldn't be in charge of anything more important than tending pigs.
I refrain from voting for anything for now other than keeping dayowlron around as fodder for the werewolves.
If no one better wants to be leader, I would accept the duty just to keep this fool from influencing anyone. But I would prefer someone with more leadership abilities to step up.

Cassiebsg

Sure, the first person questioning your "authority" needs to be eliminated... (wtf)
Seem to be a decent strategy to self proclaim leader and thus "be safe" from lynching... (wtf)
I got my eye on you.

VampireWombat

Until an actual leader is found, maybe we could discuss what we might know about werewolves. I don't suppose anyone has a copy of Werewolves for Village Idiots?
I've been wondering if they have any kind of powers when in human form. Like if we cut a finger off one, would it grow back? Or something else we could test? How do they feel about fire? Or silver crosses?

Sinitrena

What we know about werwolves? Are you saying you know something about them? Because if you do, that seems suspicious. This plage is new to our village.

And what is this "Werwolves for Village Idiots"? You have a strange taste in reading material. Maybe you also have a strange taste in your meat? I mean, you already are a self-proclaimed Vampire. It's not so far from Vampire to Werwolf, is it?

Mandle

I have made some slight clarifications to the rules post above which are:

QuoteIf a majority vote has not been reached then no player is lynched and the Day Phase ends.

Tied votes for the player to be lynched result in a stalemate and no player is lynched and the Day Phase ends.

It is not a requirement that the village lynch a player every Day Phase.

and

QuoteIf, at any point, the werewolves equal or outnumber the other players they win the game as there is no way for the other players to gain a majority vote against them for lynching choices. This rule may be slightly different in future rounds which include roles that have a chance to kill werewolves during the Night Phases.

dayowlron

as far as discussing werewolves was a human that could transform into a wolf. modern folklore says this happens at night on a full moon and uncontrolably. Earlier folklore werewolves could decide when they wanted to transform and it didn't have to be at night. I am thinking we are adopting a more modern folklore in that they transfer into werewolves at night.
If it is not required to lynch a player what happens if just a few vote for someone to lynch? With 9 players does it mean there must be 5 votes for someone in order to get someone lynched?

Mandle

Quote from: dayowlron on Wed 18/07/2018 02:44:20
If it is not required to lynch a player what happens if just a few vote for someone to lynch? With 9 players does it mean there must be 5 votes for someone in order to get someone lynched?

Yes, if a majority vote is not reached before Night Phase begins then nobody gets lynched.

Oh, I've also slightly updated the Night Phase info to this:

QuoteIt is now time for all players with Night Phase abilities to PM their choices to the game host:

The Seer should PM the name of the player they are scanning this night.

The Bodyguard should PM the name of the player they are guarding this night, if any.

The Alpha Werewolf should PM the name of the player the werewolf pack will attack and kill this night.

(The previous version of this section's language made it a bit unclear that the players PM their choices to the game host only.)

(The Bodyguard does not need to guard anyone if they don't wish to. The previous version of this line might have implied that they must guard someone. Sorry.)

josiah1221

Dayowlron, you claim yourself as leader and instantly want to lynch someone who questions you? I find no comfort in this! A leader should protect the people, not sacrifice them! We have lost livestock and now our own lives hang in the balance due to these monsters!

dayowlron

If no one gets lynched then the game will never progress. We do need to kill the werewolves.
I am not saying specifically I should be leader. They said they needed a leader so why not me.
Anyways, would we want to vote on a leader? maybe we can just vote the alpha werewolf as a leader?

Cassiebsg

I thought this was a little democratic town, where we vote by majority. Why do we need a leader? ???

Mandle

Dayowlron, please remember the rule about never editing your posts.

In this case the edit was 2 minutes after the original post but even then the game rule is that you must repost any corrections in a new post instead of editing your original post.

This may seem a trivial rule but I have seen cases where people unfairly gained or lost advantage from edited posts.

It's easiest to just have a blanket rule of no editing than a time limit within which editing is allowed.

Cheers! :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk