Room background image turned to white

Started by proximity, Thu 19/07/2018 08:45:11

Previous topic - Next topic

proximity

I had a strange bug today. I tested my game on my local disk and everything was fine. Then I uploaded it to Steam and downloaded it again and tested it. At a point in the game, the room faded out (intentionally) and after fade in, the room background was completely white. Interestingly, walk-behind areas were shown normally which are the part of the background image. I've never had a strange error like this before. Is it related to the Steam API or something? By the way, I'm using the AGSSteam plugin and everything is normal about it. I mean achievements pop.

AGS version: 3.4.1.12
Game resolution: 1920*1080
Room resolution: 4320*3150
Renderer: OpenGL
V-Sync: On
Sprite cache: 512 MB

Update : Steam has nothing to do with it.
Proximity Entertainment

Monsieur OUXX

My guts tell me that you made a mistake and uploaded a version of the game that has a bug (in your script), or that the bug was there all the time but you never noticed it before.
Alternatively, it might be because the version hosted on steam has its settings set to 32-bits and you were testing your game in 16-bits or something like that (different graphic settings between your test environment and the package hosted on steam). It would be worth running winsetup.exe and compare the settings. Also, are you running the games on the same computer?

I'm 99% sure Steam has nothing to do with it.

Snarky

proximity

It couldn't be that because I didn't change the name or anything but I have a solution. I will create a new walk-behind base that covers the whole remaining area and set the baseline to -1, so that no empty space will be drawn white.
Proximity Entertainment

proximity

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 25/07/2018 08:18:23
My guts tell me that you made a mistake and uploaded a version of the game that has a bug (in your script), or that the bug was there all the time but you never noticed it before.
Alternatively, it might be because the version hosted on steam has its settings set to 32-bits and you were testing your game in 16-bits or something like that (different graphic settings between your test environment and the package hosted on steam). It would be worth running winsetup.exe and compare the settings. Also, are you running the games on the same computer?

I'm 99% sure Steam has nothing to do with it.

You may be right. Maybe the bug was there all the time but I didn't encounter it. It also happened outside of Steam so I updated the title. I have some ideas :
* The room size is too big and the engine sometimes can't handle it to load properly.
* Possible hard disk failure?
* OpenGL is new and may have some unknown bugs.
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

To clarify, does this happen all time/often to you, or only happened few times? Have you tried running with Direct3D?

Quote from: proximity on Fri 27/07/2018 21:07:11
Yes, this may be too.

proximity

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 27/07/2018 21:12:09
To clarify, does this happen all time/often to you, or only happened few times? Have you tried running with Direct3D?

Quote from: proximity on Fri 27/07/2018 21:07:11
Yes, this may be too.

I encountered it two times of over 30 hours testing. They both happened when the room was loaded and if you don't quit the game, it continues. I haven't tried Direct3D yet. I will try it with Direct3D.

Update: I've realized it now. Direct3D is faster than OpenGL. With OpenGL, FPS frequently drops when a GUI is visible, characters move, etc.
Proximity Entertainment

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: proximity on Fri 27/07/2018 21:22:48
Update: I've realized it now. Direct3D is faster than OpenGL. With OpenGL, FPS frequently drops when a GUI is visible, characters move, etc.

Hmm, I've heard about that before. Perhaps our OpenGL renderer is non optimized, or the opengl drivers on some systems are not the best ones.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk