Return of the Tentacle released

Started by CaptainD, Sat 21/07/2018 22:03:41

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

This looks AMAZING!!! ;-D

"Return of the Tentacle - Prologue" is a fan project and the unofficial sequel to the iconic adventure game "Day of the Tentacle". Purple Tentacle is back and tries to conquer the world and enslave humanity once more. The three friends Bernard, Laverne and Hoagie make their way back to the mansion of the mad scientist Dr. Fred â€" time travel should help saving the world.

Hunt down megalomaniacal Tentacles, have bizarre conversations and solve crazy puzzles. Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne roam hand-drawn locations filled with elaborately animated characters and atmospheric music and sounds. We have done everything possible in order to capture the atmosphere and the humor of the old classic and carry it into the 21st Century.

Control the characters just like in the good old 2D adventure game era with your mouse. A modern interface awaits! Apart from familiar faces of the original game, you will also encounter guest appearances from characters that belong in other games.

[RELEASE: July 21, 2018]

https://catmic.itch.io/return-of-the-tentacle

Frodo

Oh YES!!!  :grin:

This is wonderful!  Thanks for the info, CaptainD!   :cheesy:

Downloading this now.   *excited*

Babar

I've got to say, judging from just the text and pictures, I'm not really impressed. Are any of the "hand-drawn locations and elaborately animated characters" their own, and does the quality match those of the ones they've reused from the original game? Is the "modern interface" that awaits a verbcoin or two-click/single-click system?
..what is "fluff ball"? An expletive, or an uncapitalised proper noun name of the hamster?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

ManicMatt

Yeah I'm not impressed either, and why does the blurb speak as if DOTT wasn't remastered?

If anyone wants to give this a go, I'd recommend downloading it ASAP before it gets slapped with a cease and desist order!

CaptainD

Hmm... Well I have to admit I haven't actually played it yet, just thought it looked cool. If anyone has tried it already please give your thoughts!

VampireWombat

I just played a couple of minutes of it. I'm impressed with the English voice for Bernard at least. Not so impressed with the interface and not having been able to save when I wanted to.
Edit: I think the problems I had with the interface were due to using the Linux version. Skipping the tutorial seemed to have fixed one of the problems. Otherwise it's a basic 2 click interface with space bar showing hotspots.
And sadly, Dr. Fred and Purple Tentacle don't sound as good.

Frodo

After playing for a while, I have to admit, the interface is a bit cumbersome.  :undecided:
Sometimes right-clicking advances the text, but sometimes, it brings up a 'Press Esc Again To Quit' message. 
And the voice for Laverne sounds completely wrong.
It does seem to be an interesting story though. 

VampireWombat, you can Save your game by:
-  Pressing Esc
-  Clicking on Game Saves
-  Clicking in a Save slot
-  Clicking in the Save Game text field and typing a name
-  Clicking on Save

VampireWombat

I haven't gotten to hearing Laverne yet. But
Spoiler
Sam and Max
[close]
sound absolutely horrible.

Oh, it's not that I didn't know how to save. It's that it wouldn't let me save during the tutorial.

Stupot

It looks interesting enough to have a go but from the pictures it just looks like a fan remake or rehash rather than a sequel.

Also, maybe I'm just being silly but something irks me about the way they call it ‘the unofficial sequel' rather than ‘an unofficial sequel.' Surely being unofficial there is no 'the' about it. 'the' implies that there was some form of authorization or permission involved.

ManicMatt

Stupot, yeah now you mention it, "the" implies to me, that it's the only sequel, period.

Mandle

Wow.... a 33 minute download time... That takes me back...

EDIT: Aaaaaaand with 13 minutes left the download crashes... Now that reeeeaaally takes me back.

WTF? Did they actually upload this game to the DOTT-era internet?!

Nevermind... It turns out all issues were probably the fault of my crappy old computer.

I had no such issues downloading onto my wife's computer.

ManicMatt

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 22/07/2018 07:28:43
..with 13 minutes left the download crashes..

Did you use the telephone?

CaptainD

Quote from: ManicMatt on Sun 22/07/2018 10:16:24
..with 13 minutes left the download crashes..

Did you use the telephone?

He actually had the game delivered by carrier pigeon, one byte per pigeon per journey! :-D

ManicMatt

if he upgrades to 3 pigeons a week, he gets Channel 5 directly to his television.

Mandle

Been playing for a while and having a great time!

Danvzare

OH MY GOODNESS!
I literally thought this game was never going to get released. Actually, I thought that it was cancelled!

I remember this being one of the first things I found when I first got onto the internet, since I looked up to see if there was or ever would be a Day of the Tentacle 2.
Back then, I didn't know it was a fan game. :-[

Tabata

I just played about 15 minutes (to try if it works) but I am already impressed by the lovely done graphics and animations and all those little funny extras included. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

After I understood how the verb coin is to be used it worked surprisingly well. Yes, I confess that I needed a while (despite the tutorial) to get that hoovering over a hotspot will show you (by icons) what interactions will follow by a left or a right mouse click there.  :-[

Since I am playing the German version I don't know about the voices most of you will hear. For my taste Bernard's German voice didn't fit that well but hey - it is a fanadvanture with voice acting and it is free - so I won't blame anyone for that since its quality is okay. Also text only can be selected in case someone can't stand it. :wink:

After this extremly short bit of play I am expecting a really cool time playing this game. (nod)
They must have put in such a lot of heart to do it - and finishing such a big project is getting my deepest respect.

Mandle

After finishing the game I wrote my impressions but will hide them because there may be some slight spoilers (Heavy spoilers are extra-hidden)

Firstly I will just say:

I just finished the game and I must say that it is amazing!

I had a great time and felt like I was revisting the original game with a new plot.

The hidden section below gets into more detail and you might not want to read until after you have played.
Spoiler

Obviously the game has some issues like:

Laverne's voice is not very close to the original character and even has an accent, but I got used to it and it became less jarring (but not really enjoyable) by the end.

Hoagie's voice jarred me at first but was much closer and easier to get used to. I could accept it as the character's voice.

Bernard's voice was spot-on perfect! I felt like it was the original voice actor!

The Edison family member's voices were pretty much as close to perfect as possible.

The gameplay was really good in the modern adventure game sense where the player shouldn't be directionless, but it did get a little hand-holdy at times.

And even though the rest of the game is great on most points:

THE ANIMATIONS ARE WORTH THE TIME SPENT PLAYING IN AND OF THEMSELVES!!!

SPOILER ALERT:
Spoiler
The animation for the rematch with Oozo The Clown is one of the funniest things I have ever seen!!!
And I can't even begin to express how far down my jaw dropped during the hamster interrogation scenes!!!
[close]
This is literally like playing a cartoon show and there were several times when I wished that an animated sequence had a REPLAY button at the end so I could watch it again and again!

As I mentioned before: The puzzles get a little bit hand-holdy at times. But I never really got "stuck" yet still felt challenged to figure out some of them. The Hoagie quest was the most fun for me.

The humour...hmmmmmm... It is a bit hit-and-miss but I still had quite a few moments where I laughed out loud... There might be some translation issues on certain lines that I assume were jokes but felt confusing to me. But overall the humour was good and didn't enter the "annoying zone" often for me.

The call-backs and references to the original game were mostly well done IMO. Nothing too heavy handed and a good smile was had by me often from them.

The plot is a bit confusing at times but the ending cutscene ties up a lot of loose ends while leaving enough unanswered for the potential full game.

This is a really fun game for anyone who loves the original and showcases the incredible talents of the 4 developers!
[close]

It took me 2 hours and 18 minutes to finish the game, as the game informed me at the end.

Mandle

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sun 22/07/2018 01:04:04
I haven't gotten to hearing Laverne yet. But
Spoiler
Sam and Max
[close]
sound absolutely horrible.

I actually thought that
Spoiler
Max
[close]
was pretty acceptable but that they really needed a much better
Spoiler
Don Adams impersonator for Sam
[close]

VampireWombat

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 22/07/2018 15:40:53
I actually thought that
Spoiler
Max
[close]
was pretty acceptable but that they really needed a much better
Spoiler
Don Adams impersonator for Sam
[close]
Spoiler
Edit: After playing a bit of Sam and Max Hit the Road and Return of the Tentacle, the voices are most definitely very off.
I'd probably be able to handle it a bit better if the voice for Bernard wasn't so good.

And while Don Adams is in no way the first person that Sam's voice reminds me of, I can kind of see it being like if Don Adams tried to sound a little like Humphrey Bogart.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Seems to be unplayable on my putter. >:(
No way to remove voice overs and just use the text, and the animations plus the rooms keep blinking and cutting all the time. Even though I have reduce the quality to 800x600 (60Mzh) and the textures down to SD...

Unity sucks! Long live AGS!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AGA

Mandle

Quote from: AGA on Mon 23/07/2018 07:18:46
Wow.... a 33 minute download time... That takes me back...

Yeah, I ended up downloading on my wife's computer and the DL was fast. Weird as both computers are on the same cable provider and I've never had such a slow download even on my crappy old computer before.

Oh, and that reminds me I meant to update that post...Cheers!

Frodo

Finished it and really loved it!  :grin:

Couldn't get used to Laverne's voice, but all the other voices were brilliant.
Really loved Ed and his mushrooms. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk