Game Pitch Competition - Round 4: "Son of a Pitch" (RESULTS)

Started by Snarky, Wed 25/07/2018 08:48:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for your favorite entry

1. Lockdown
1 (5.9%)
2. Small Pockets
2 (11.8%)
3. Rodric Downes and the Pirate-Princess
1 (5.9%)
4. What A Feeling!
0 (0%)
5. Major Arcana
4 (23.5%)
6. Cliffhung
3 (17.6%)
7. Mulled
3 (17.6%)
8. Two Strings Attached
1 (5.9%)
9. The Professor
1 (5.9%)
10. [Untitled]
0 (0%)
11. A Hard Nut to Crack
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: Sun 19/08/2018 12:24:49

roughsleeper

Hey all. I'm new here and still learning AGS.
I voted for the one that immediately made my imagination explode.
Great ideas and a great community all round.

CaptainD

For me there was a clear winner which I voted for, but a lot of good ideas.  I won't say which I voted for until after the results are out...

I'm also looking forward to finding out which idea made roughsleeper's head explode!

Stupot

Some good ideas here but the one I voted for was my clear favourite.

selmiak

I voted 2 in hopes that lots of people do so and it is revealed who sneaked in penis. Also survivor games are cool! 8-)

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 13/08/2018 18:33:10
who sneaked in penis.

My guess would be that that penis belongs to
Spoiler
Slasher
[close]

(No confirm or deny yet though please)

Gurok

I found a lot of these too avant garde for my taste. I voted for 11 because it was the easiest to picture working, though I really liked 3 as well.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

dactylopus

I'm going to venture a guess that #11 belongs to DBoyWheeler.

Stupot

Quote from: dactylopus on Tue 14/08/2018 03:45:22
I'm going to venture a guess that #11 belongs to DBoyWheeler.
That would be my guess too. It's got a furry animal, it's family-friendly and DBoy often likes to hypothesize about “It's like [game title] but [with a difference]”

Snarky

Let's hold off on the speculation, can we? The whole point of keeping it anonymous is to separate the person from the entry, and the more we theorize about who is behind each entry, the harder that becomes.

Snarky

Bumping for a final call:

Voting closes soon, so if you haven't voted yet, please do!
Any one of the entrants would appreciate your vote, I'm sure, and it might break what's currently a tie.

Mandle

Ooooohhh only about half an hour until results? This is getting exciting! Already voted long ago here though...

Stupot

Congrats to Major Arcana. This nearly got my vote as it has a good adventure set-up. In the end I voted for Mulled as it just sounded so fun.

cat

Results! I guess this means I can now write some short comments for each of them:

1. Lockdown
Interesting setting and idea, but I'd imagine this more an action adventure (with stealth sequences) than a classical P&C adventure.

2. Small Pockets
The first part sounds interesting, the rest just confusing.

An interesting setting, though I'm not sure how well this will work as an adventure game.

4. What A Feeling!
An interesting approach, but I'm not sure how well this will turn into an actual game.

5. Major Arcana
I like the hunt for MacGuffins and the "Complete the deck to complete your life" idea, but for my taste this is too much about magic.

6. Cliffhung
The problem I see here is, that the player is required to have watched all movies beforehand. Otherwise he would not understand it or be completely spoilered.

7. Mulled
My favourite. I love the setting and the idea of the advent calender. My only concern would be that 24 days could become a bit boring with time. This could probably be mitigated by having Tommy pass out for a few days etc.

8. Two Strings Attached
This sounds a lot like Fahrenheit to me, not sure if there would be some unique twist but the pitch didn't sell it.

9. The Professor
Funny idea but I don't really understand what the gameplay would be like.

10. [Untitled]
I don't like Sierra-style fantasy. Period.

11. A Hard Nut to Crack
A cute idea, however the clue stuff could become complicated or boring if not done well.

Cassiebsg

Congrats to all entries! (nod)

Took me a very long time to decide on a entry... but I wouldn't have guessed that voting after last call would make a difference... congrats Major Arcana! I enjoyed that one the best, as it seemed to have and all intriguing adventure game vibe to it. (nod)
I'll comment on the other entries later on.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 19/08/2018 14:12:49
Congrats to Major Arcana. This nearly got my vote as it has a good adventure set-up. In the end I voted for Mulled as it just sounded so fun.

+1 I also voted for Mulled.

cat

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 19/08/2018 15:02:29
Quote from: Stupot on Sun 19/08/2018 14:12:49

+1 I also voted for Mulled.
Seems the three of us have similar tastes :) For me it was also a close one with Major Arcana.

Snarky

Hey, congrats on all the entries, and particularly to our winner this round, Major Arcana!
Thanks to all the voters, and thanks Cassie for breaking the tie.

There were a lot of pitches that seemed promising to me, with no clear winner. Some comments:

1. Lockdown
For some reason (probably the terrorist attack and the multiple playable characters) this reminded me of Resonance, and that's one of my favorite AGS games â€" good going! I also got at least some sense of the gameplay, so bonus points for that.

2. Small Pockets
I like the specificity of this pitch, but I can't quite get a bead on the tone. Is it funny gore or just gruesome? Also, not a huge fan of realtime choice games.

The historical setting is cool, and I'm particularly drawn to a game set in the Baltic Sea during the Swedish empire. But all pirate adventure games have their work cut out for them escaping a certain long, three-headed-monkey-shaped shadow, and I'm not convinced this does.

4. What A Feeling!
It took a while before I grasped how this is different from Legend of Kyrandia 3 or Grrr! Bearly Sane. It's an ambitious idea, but I tend to think only being able to affect actions indirectly would be pretty frustrating.

5. Major Arcana
Unlike cat, I find the magic stuff compelling, and the idea of collecting items with different magic powers suggests some interesting Loom-esque gameplay. I would have liked a little bit more of the in-game story rather than just the premise, but this was still my runner-up and I see why it won.

6. Cliffhung
It's really cool to see people come up with more off-beat ideas, but I just do not get this pitch. I feel that most times when a movie ends in a cliffhanger or otherwise ambiguously, that ambiguity is essential to the story. So this sounds to me like a game where you make classic movies worse.

7. Mulled
Like I said in a previous round, I'm a sucker for all things Christmas, and I think it pairs well with a film noir spoof. I do agree with cat that 24 episodes is too much, but then again the idea of one chapter per day is part and parcel of the Advent Calendar format. (Suggestion: Split it off between two or even three separate characters, each with alternating episodes and standalone stories that only come together at the end.)

8. Two Strings Attached
Yeah, it's been done before, and it's hard to see how you'd make it an interesting challenge to solve a crime you already committed (Fahrenheit cheated quite a bit), but if you know how to do it you definitely have my interest.

9. The Professor
I was a bit confused by the mashup of Sonic the Hedgehog parody and play on an adventure game trope (though really, primarily an RPG trope, no?). As a pitch I'm not sure that was the most effective presentation of the concept. I do have some of the same concerns about this as for What A Feeling!, that the indirect control will be frustrating, but I suppose I can imagine it as more of a sort of strategy game. (Incidentally, I did some coding for hire on a game that resembled this a little.)

10. [Untitled]
I do enjoy Sierra-style fantasy, and I think there's a promising game idea here. I would guess it failed to capture any votes because the pitch hasn't quite zeroed in on what the cool thing about this game is. The thing that sounds most interesting to me is the odd-couple dynamic between the super-serious rookie and the cheerful orc, so I would lead with that.

11. A Hard Nut to Crack
This all sounds quite fun. I don't know Detective Grimoire and was put off by that at first (which I guess is always a risk when you describe something in terms of other games), but you do explain it quite well. To me the story made it sound like a kids game while the gameplay seemed pretty challenging, so I'm not sure exactly who this game is for.

tzachs

Congrats to "Major Arcana"!
I voted for "The Professor", found it to be a really interesting idea, actually, with lots of potential to be a unique game, but it will definitely be hard to execute well.
"Lockdown" was my 2nd place, it's a game I would definitely want to play.

I pitched the "Two Strings Attached" idea. I didn't know it was done before, never played "Fahrenheit", I'm afraid. My main inspiration for this was actually from "Inspector Columbo", but I thought of taking it to a darker place, kind of like "Dexter". Both Columbo and Dexter really put an emphasis on the psychological games between the main characters, and I thought it would be interesting to try and transfer it to game form. Unless "Fahrenheit" already did that...

CaptainD

I feel that I slightly misunderstood the intention of this competition with my entry - possibly conflating it with some of the conversation about game mechanics that came up at the end of the previous competition - I mistakenly thought that the pitch was to be about a new idea for HOW to play a game rather than a complete game idea in itself.  Anyway my mistake, you may have guessed from this that my entry is one of those that failed to garner a vote!  (Also I haven't played Legend of Kyrandia 3 or Grrr! Bearly Sane so not sure how similar in concept those are.)

Anyway some lovely entries but my vote went for Cliffhung.  I just loved the idea, reminded me of "All in the Game" a little.

Mandle

Guys, I don't think we are supposed to be saying yet which was whose... Or are we not doing the guessing round this time?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk