Someone’s having trouble registering.

Started by Stupot, Tue 31/07/2018 14:54:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Someone on the Facebook group is trying to register on the forums but is having an issue:

“Hi! I have problems On Signing Up On the Forums, It seems I have the Right Answer on Registration Quiz but It always give me an Error Message saying I have one wrong Answer even though my answer is correct. Can you please help me? I wanna join the AGS Community Forum because I have lots of questions when It comes to Scripting and Such.”

Any idea what could be the problem? Other than maybe he is getting one of the Qs wrong

Cassiebsg

That would be my guess too.
Otherwise there's something broken with the registration.

Guess you could go thru the answers with said person and verify that he indeed has the right answers to all questions? ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AGA

I had this same problem a few months ago, and the guy was insistent he had all the questions correct.  He didn't...  All I can suggest is someone guides him through the process if he's really that stuck.

Chicky

Hey, recently we've had a few people come to the discord saying they're having issues with registration on the forums, most mentioning an error when singing up.

QuoteHi, I'm having trouble registering for the AGS forum.
I answer the questions  ok, but when try and register I just get a message saying "An error has occurred"

Is this a known issue? We've had 4 or 5 reports and that's just the folk who thought to follow it up on Discord.

Stupot

More people are having trouble.

I tried the quiz and it was fine, so anyone getting errors at that point is clearly entering the wrong answers. However, some people do get past the quiz but the registration form fails. I tried this myself and it's true. I could[n't] make a new account. My guess is that it's a bug in either the captcha or human checker below it.

Snarky

Assuming Stupot means he couldn't make a new account, I second that: I get past the quiz (which, BTW, is slightly outdated on a couple of points) and to the point where I can register, but once you actually try to sign up it gives an error. I also see from the membership records that we haven't had anyone sign up for the last week (there's usually one every other day), so it definitely appears to be broken.

AGA

I'm working on it.  Unfortunately the forums have been going for so long, and been upgraded so many times, things are a bit of a mess.  I'm trying to clean things up, but it might take a few days!

AGA

Okay, so I've made quite a lot of changes to the forums in the background, to fix the registration, plus various issues people probably never even noticed.  Please do let me know of anything that's missing, or weird looking, though.

Crimson Wizard

test?

Oh, okay, I can finally post something.

The "Bug and suggestion tracker" link is missing by the way, is that intentional?

Khris

When I post code, I have to include =ags again, and the linebreaks are discarded.

morganw

People have asked me to post this, since they are having trouble posting anything (the message body was NOT empty):

Crimson Wizard

I had this ^ at first, but now I can post. There are some glitches still which are not easy to describe.
Like recently I posted a link directly in the message, then decided to replace it with another. When I edited my post the text was correct, but hovering over the link in the post displayed previous address... It refused to link correctly until I manually did [ url = xxx ] text [ / url ]

Cassiebsg

Just testing to see if I can post

Edit: Seems to work just fine for me... trying edit to make sure that works too.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

morganw

One of people who cannot post, also cannot login without getting this:

They can refresh the page and get logged in (after seeing this message), but the message appears on every login.

Khris

The very first thing people should do is clear the entire cache for adventuregamestudio.co.uk
This should solve some of the issues.

Snarky

Quote from: morganw on Tue 11/12/2018 14:46:36
One of people who cannot post, also cannot login without getting this:

They can refresh the page and get logged in (after seeing this message), but the message appears on every login.

I've been getting this page every time I log in for months, if not years.
Ooh, quoting a post with an image, the picture now appears in the editor (along with some HTML linebreak tags)! Wonder if it will post correctly?

morganw

I manually added the line breaks, just to clarify where those came from.

Sinitrena

I also get the "The message body has been left empty" message (on Firefox (63.0.3), posting with Internet Explorer now) and the bold, italic, URL and so on stuff is missing for me on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I only have the smilies.

Snarky

There also seems to be a serious influx of spammers, so presumably registration has eased up...

AGA

Unfortunately the WYSYWIG editor built in to SMF is quite unreliable.  I reenabled it because of a bug that was stopping smileys from working in the alternative we used to use.  However, at this rate it looks like having no clickable smileys is preferable to so many other things not working.
Sinitrena at least, the level of WYSYWIGness you get is a setting in your user profile.  There you can choose whether to display smileys, text options, etc etc.  Try changing that setting, see if it helps?
Also the spam is caused by my removing a plugin that was previously used explicitly to prevent spam.  I thought it might have been causing the registration issue, so was going to try running without it for a while.  Will have to renable it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk