MAGS August "Censorship" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/08/2018 10:19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS August?

Cola Skunkette: A Bit of Cleanup
0 (0%)
The Campaign Of Daphne White
2 (16.7%)
Cyborg Seppuku
9 (75%)
The Man Who Liked Cats
0 (0%)
Vacant Bodies
1 (8.3%)
Fists of Murder
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Mon 17/09/2018 05:06:38

The Outer Zone

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 30/08/2018 12:31:04
Design and implement sound? Wow.
And the updated graphics are interesting. I never would have expected the player character to be a young cyborg Papa Smurf.

Haha! Didn't see that coming did you? It's been a smurf story all along.. muahahaa!

Thanks for the new deadline, though I think I'm going to submit tonight anyways.
But something might go wrong, so it's nice with some extra time :)
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

The Outer Zone

It has been great working on my first AGS game!

Here it is:

CYBORG SEPPUKU

Feedback is more than welcome.
I will probably make a version 2.0.

Enjoy :)

Slasher

Can people please play or replay games once the voting starts as some games get updated by that date..(nod)

VampireWombat

I have all plans of playing both of your games after the voting starts.

Title screen is complete and I've now added save and load. I also have quicksave and quickload, which I won't be testing tomorrow.
Due to Slasher's missing function keys, I have quicksave set as both f5 and ctrl s and quickload as f7 and ctrl l.

Music has been added along with a volume slider.

Mandle

I got about 12 hours work done yesterday and have 3 rooms and 2 and a half puzzles done.

I'll release the game no matter what at this point but it's unlikely to be finished.

And, yeah, the censorship part will most likely end up censored.

VampireWombat

12 hours yesterday? Nice.
I think the longest I worked in one sitting was like 10 minutes...
Unfortunately I don't really have puzzles since I had to cut the game short.
I have a little dialog and programming related to which dialog comes when and then I think all that will be left is animation and the programming related to it.

edit: And the longer I'm awake, the more I think I may actually be sick...
So there goes any unneeded npcs or animations.

Mandle

Well, I felt so burnt out today after yesterday that I didn't do anything further. So the game still only has 2-and-a-half puzzles. I decided, probably wisely, to not work on the game while I didn't feel like doing so. That usually ends with bad work that adds nothing and has to be redone later.

But I'm quite invested in this story, the inspiration for which came to me from something that happened to me in real life and then became a full-blown story in my head during the next 10 minutes while I rode my bicycle to the local 7-11.

There's only a couple of scenes left to do so I will continue at my own pace later.

This "demo version" ends rather abruptly with a cliff-hanger... Well, not a cliff-hanger but with someone hanging onto something.

And please keep in mind that a lot of the graphics/puzzle-design/game mechanics/etc. are only half-done and/or placeholders (especially the main character's walkcycle. Roger will not be appearing in the finished game, not even in glorious B&W).

Anyway, I semi-present:

THE MAN WHO LIKED CATS

A man flees his war-torn country with the only family he has left, his beloved cat, Kitty.

What does fate, and the kindness or cruelty of other people, have in store for them both?

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

(Oh, and, yeah, the Censorship part got censored for now... But is the main point of the full game. Trust me on this.)

Mandle

As usual I will play all games and update comments in this post:

Cola Skunkette
Spoiler
A charming and simple game suitable especially for kids. I loved the plucky body-language of the kid. He really looked like a child proud to be helping out on an important mission for an adult. A great example of how a walkcycle isn't only a means to get the character from A to B but can also tell us a lot about their personality and current mood. A lot of professional games forget this and have only a very generic walkcycle that seems identical for each character. The story, while simple, provides clear motivation at every point. I always knew what I was supposed to be doing. Something professional games also fail at sometimes. The graphics and musical choices set a nice, calm mood throughout. There is no "enemy" to conquer except for the grafitti itself which makes for stress-free gameplay suitable, like I mentioned, especially for kids. Wonderful!
[close]

Cyborg Seppuku
Spoiler
Well, what can I say? It's beyond amazing! From the Moebius-style graphics, the social commentary subtext of unplugging from our devices, to the actual fun puzzles and characters, this game just had me drooling for more, even though I suspected that I wouldn't get to see The Outer Zone. But I really wanted to! Silverspook, have you played this yet? You would LOVE it!!! Gonna be a hard contender to beat for the other games!

A bit of pixel-hunting is totally forgivable as the backgrounds are just so rich in detail that the player naturally wants to explore every nook and cranny anyway.

One thing I might suggest though is to remove the "self-censorship" comment in the game. I think most players will get this without having it pointed out to them to so bluntly. Also, perhaps the C.Jones comment about the coffee cup. I think this game is great enough to deserve no in-jokes/tributes.

Also: one of the coolest game titles of all time which the game lives up to! Sometimes bad games have really cool titles as clickbait. This ain't one of those!
[close]

Vacant Bodies
Spoiler
This looks like it could be a really interesting start to a story. It left me really wanting to know more about what was going on in this particular world in general and with my own character's predicament. No real gameplay though so it's still just that at this point, but I do want to see and learn more! So, great job on an effective game intro!
[close]

Fists Of Murder
Spoiler
Hmmmm... Beautiful graphics and animations! Especially during the flashback scene, but... Very slow and repetetive gameplay... Also, I couldn't really figure out any fighting strategy except for hit as many times as I could and then back away until my energy regrew. And even then I couldn't really notice any impact that my energy was having on the damage I was dealing. It always seemed pretty random despite my energy level. So I'm now guessing that maybe energy is just a measure of how many times I can hit in a row? Didn't matter really though as the enemies were all very easy to beat up. Just time obstacles. Maybe the game could use a "You beat the game in XX time." message at the end?

I did really like some of the humour in dialogs and the name of the evil organisation was genius.

In the end it was no sound effects that really killed it for me though. I need to hear even just one "smack" of my punch to want to play a beat-em-up. That's a huge part of the vicarious pleasure and stress-relief of fighting games.
[close]

VampireWombat

I'm actually hours before the deadline. Of course I did take a few shortcuts...

Hopefully it's fully playable and not missing anything.
Vacant Bodies
[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/images/XXGE.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/images/X9Qt.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://ags.pics/images/Sh8o.png[/imgzoom]

Download here.

Jack

I am currently not able to upload because Dreamhost is in over their heads.

EDIT: Anyone else getting the "You don't have permission to access /site/games/add/ on this server." when trying to add a game?

Edit more: It seems my screenshots are too amazing to be parsed by a mere earthbound site.

The Outer Zone

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 02/09/2018 15:56:54
As usual I will play all games and update comments in this post:

Cyborg Seppuku
Spoiler
Well, what can I say? It's beyond amazing! From the Moebius-style graphics, the social commentary subtext of unplugging from our devices, to the actual fun puzzles and characters, this game just had me drooling for more, even though I suspected that I wouldn't get to see The Outer Zone. But I really wanted to! Silverspook, have you played this yet? You would LOVE it!!! Gonna be a hard contender to beat for the other games!

A bit of pixel-hunting is totally forgivable as the backgrounds are just so rich in detail that the player naturally wants to explore every nook and cranny anyway.

One thing I might suggest though is to remove the "self-censorship" comment in the game. I think most players will get this without having it pointed out to them to so bluntly. Also, perhaps the C.Jones comment about the coffee cup. I think this game is great enough to deserve no in-jokes/tributes.

Also: one of the coolest game titles of all time which the game lives up to! Sometimes bad games have really cool titles as clickbait. This ain't one of those!
[close]

Thank you so much - I am glad you liked the game :)
And thanks for the feedback. I think you're right about the in-jokes, I got a little carried away with my first AGS game :-D And the self-censorship line is a bit out of place. I wanted to make the "censorship" theme clear - but I'm glad it communicates without that line.

Jack

Fists of Murder

A fighting/adventure game hybrid.

Homeless man Joe witnesses a murder and must work with a friend to undo the cover-up and get the truth out.

Download (Windows)

Download (Linux)

Stupot

Thanks for the entries, folks. Voting will be sorted out as soon as I have a spare half an hour at a computer, which should be soon but could be never.

Stupot

The contest is over and voting us underway. Six fine-looking entries. Thank you everyone.

I checked and double-checked but I'm paranoid that I've forgotten somebody, so please let me know if I have.

Vote using the poll at the top of the page.

Cola Skunkette: A Bit of Cleanup by DBoyWheeler
The Campaign Of Daphne White by Slasher
Cyborg Seppuku by The Outer Zone
The Man Who Liked Cats by Mandle
Vacant Bodies by VampireWombat
Fists of Murder by Jack

Mandle

Can't wait to play through the remaining bunch tonight!

Especially Fists Of Murder!

Slasher

OK...

I have re-built the game and made a new download link....

Please try again..

I'm not sure why some people have trouble.

Please inform me if this happens again.

Thanks...

The Outer Zone

Good job on finishing your games :)
Can't wait to play them!
...so I'll play them today :-D

I'll make sure to leave a comment on each of the entries.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 03/09/2018 05:46:22
OK...

I have re-built the game and made a new download link....

Please try again..

I'm not sure why some people have trouble.

Please inform me if this happens again.

Thanks...

For me, the download size has increased by x3...

Last night it was about 50MB. That was the broken one.

Now it's about 150MB. Still downloading though, but I'd say the old link led to an incomplete upload.

EDIT: NOPE! I guess not. I still get an "empty" folder in BitZipper, and 7zip refuses to open it at all.

Can you maybe try making it just .zip format instead of .rar?

If you are compressing and uncompressing with the same version of 7zip then the problem probably lies within that program.

It must have something to do with you getting a new computer and reinstalling 7zip as I've never had a problem unzipping any of your games before this.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 02/09/2018 15:56:54
Vacant Bodies
Spoiler
This looks like it could be a really interesting start to a story. It left me really wanting to know more about what was going on in this particular world in general and with my own character's predicament. No real gameplay though so it's still just that at this point, but I do want to see and learn more! So, great job on an effective game intro!
[close]
Spoiler
I'm glad it made you want more. I really did want to do more, but the end of the month ended up being as hot as Satan's balzac(sic), which kind of killed my motivation.
[close]

Slasher

Slight cock up with game name :-[

I don't believe it!  How did I let that slip through the net? :-[

Anyhow, I have made a new build and have uploaded it with a new link.

Really sorry guys, please excuse this old dog and download it again....

Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk