MAGS August "Censorship" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/08/2018 10:19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS August?

Cola Skunkette: A Bit of Cleanup
0 (0%)
The Campaign Of Daphne White
2 (16.7%)
Cyborg Seppuku
9 (75%)
The Man Who Liked Cats
0 (0%)
Vacant Bodies
1 (8.3%)
Fists of Murder
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Mon 17/09/2018 05:06:38

Stupot

The voting is over and the people have spoken.
The winner of MAGS August, with a whopping 9 points is Mr Outer-the-blue himself, The Outer Zone for Cyborg Seppuku.

Congratulations on the impressive win. You will be contacted by PM soon about choosing a topic for MAGS October.

Cola Skunkette: A Bit of Cleanup by DBoyWheeler
The Campaign Of Daphne White by Slasher
Cyborg Seppuku by The Outer Zone
The Man Who Liked Cats by Mandle
Vacant Bodies by VampireWombat
Fists of Murder by Jack

Vote using the poll at the top of the page.

Topic: Censorship
This month's guidelines were set by Hobo

Feel free to interpret the theme any way you want. As a guidline I suggest pushing a pro- or anti-censorship agenda, creating a world where someone or something is suffering from or forcing a censorship or simply censor some parts of your own game (which is also a good way to excuse any missing assets and unfinished work :))

PS! I totally added an awesome image to inspire and motivate you all, but sadly it was censored :(

Pre-made and public domain assets are allowed.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

? A working download link
? The title of your game
? A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

The Outer Zone

Hello AGS people ;-D

I joined AGS today and will be making my first AGS game entering MAGS August.
Must say I am pretty excited for this month!
You will probably find me stumbling around in the tech forum :-D

Great theme by the way, @Hobo.
"Censorship" could potentially spawn some strong game ideas.
Looking forward to see what you guys come up with.

Cheers from Denmark!
-Malte
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

Cassiebsg

Hi and welcome to the forum and MAGS :)
Enjoy and if you need help of any kind, just ask! There's always some souls in here ready to give a helping hand. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

Well, this theme could certainly work well for making a cyberpunk game. Or at least set in a dystopian world.
Now to find my copy of Dark City...

Cassiebsg

VW, finish your other game first! 8-0

VampireWombat

What? It doesn't hurt to compile a list of movies to watch for ideas. But fine, I'll go work on a new inventory gui...
After putting Akira on my list.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Stupot on Wed 01/08/2018 10:19:48

Topic: Censorship

PS! I totally added an awesome image to inspire and motivate you all, but sadly it was censored :(

Could be a chance to discuss about the policy of censorship in AGS games?

_

DBoyWheeler

Maybe for my case, maybe someone had spraypainted profane words on the main character's shop, and she (the main character is female) needs to find some way to wash it off to keep her store family friendly.  Just a thought... for now.

[Add-on] For the spraypainted swearwords, I plan to convert the characters into Wingdings characters, and then make them "objects".  That'd be the "censorship" part--a "creative censoring", if you will. ;)

Blondbraid

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Wed 01/08/2018 13:31:47
Maybe for my case, maybe someone had spraypainted profane words on the main character's shop, and she (the main character is female) needs to find some way to wash it off to keep her store family friendly.  Just a thought... for now.

[Add-on] For the spraypainted swearwords, I plan to convert the characters into Wingdings characters, and then make them "objects".  That'd be the "censorship" part--a "creative censoring", if you will. ;)
I like your idea!
I don't have any good MAGS idea myself, and I'd be happy to lend a hand doing graphics or similar if you'd want to collaborate.

Slasher

So, it's about 'Censorship'... Censorship's have changed over the years.

Already I have a unique idea... Hope no one cottons on to the biggest censorship of them all ;)

I'll see what I can muster up (laugh)

The Outer Zone

@VampireWombat: My immediate thought was also Cyberpunk...
it could still go in many directions though. Cyberpunk is endless.

And thank you @Cassiebsg - I will definitely ask :)

Btw. Where can I vote for the games from MAGS July?
Latest update on the MAGS page is from 2017.

VampireWombat

The Outer Zone - Cyberpunk makes sense because usually its a dystopian setting. And a lot of dystopians involve major censorship.
But yeah, cyberpunk has lots of possibilities as long as it's not trying to copy Bladerunner.

And you can't vote for the July MAGS yet. We still have 6 1/2 hours to finalize our entries. Then the thread will be open for voting.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 01/08/2018 14:05:24
I like your idea!
I don't have any good MAGS idea myself, and I'd be happy to lend a hand doing graphics or similar if you'd want to collaborate.

Okay... er, it does have anthro animal characters, so if you're uncomfortable with those, maybe you could make up the rooms, and I (and/or another person) could handle the characters and inventory.

Blondbraid

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Wed 01/08/2018 15:54:37
Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 01/08/2018 14:05:24
I like your idea!

Okay... er, it does have anthro animal characters, so if you're uncomfortable with those, maybe you could make up the rooms, and I (and/or another person) could handle the characters and inventory.
I usually don't have a problem with anthropomorphic animals as long as it's safe for work, though I can stick to drawing backgrounds and inventory if you'd prefer drawing the characters yourself.

You could probably do some interesting social commentary using different animals in the same vein as Zootopia or classic fables.

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 01/08/2018 16:04:01
I usually don't have a problem with anthropomorphic animals as long as it's safe for work, though I can stick to drawing backgrounds and inventory if you'd prefer drawing the characters yourself.

You could probably do some interesting social commentary using different animals in the same vein as Zootopia or classic fables.

Don't worry, it IS safe for work.

I'll discuss more of the ideas in a private message.

Cassiebsg

@The Outer Zone
Like VW said you can't vote on the games yet, but voting occurs on the MAGS thread here on the forum, not on the MAGS site.
Here's July's thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56211.0

Once Stupot closes and presents all the entries he will also create a poll on the thread (scroll to the top of the page) where you will be able to then vote for your favorite (remember to play all games before deciding and giving feedback is very appreciated by all, though not required for voting). Voting usually lasts for about 2 weeks at least, so plenty of time to play all entries. ;)

TheFrighter

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 01/08/2018 14:25:45

Hope no one cottons on to the biggest censorship of them all ;)

"Cottons"? ??? What means?

_

Slasher

TheFrighther: 'Cottons': Gets the idea as to what I'm up to..

The Outer Zone

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 01/08/2018 16:14:23
@The Outer Zone
Like VW said you can't vote on the games yet, but voting occurs on the MAGS thread here on the forum, not on the MAGS site.
Here's July's thread: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56211.0

Once Stupot closes and presents all the entries he will also create a poll on the thread (scroll to the top of the page) where you will be able to then vote for your favorite (remember to play all games before deciding and giving feedback is very appreciated by all, though not required for voting). Voting usually lasts for about 2 weeks at least, so plenty of time to play all entries. ;)

Ah I see.. thought it had ended. Thanks for the link!
And yeah - trying to come up with an original take on cyberpunk.

VampireWombat

The Outer Zone - Yeah, there's lots of ways you can vary it. You could add biopunk elements like XiStenZ did. Or you could make things more along the lines of solarpunk. Or make something that mixes elements of Total Recall and Inception. There are so many possibilities.
Good luck with figuring out what works best for you.
As for me, I think I'm going to try something along the lines of mixing Surrogates, The Final Cut, Dark City, The Sixth Day, and dreaded live action Aeon Flux.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk