MAGS August "Censorship" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Wed 01/08/2018 10:19:48

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS August?

Cola Skunkette: A Bit of Cleanup
0 (0%)
The Campaign Of Daphne White
2 (16.7%)
Cyborg Seppuku
9 (75%)
The Man Who Liked Cats
0 (0%)
Vacant Bodies
1 (8.3%)
Fists of Murder
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: Mon 17/09/2018 05:06:38

Slasher

New Pub image added. Will upload tomorrow.

The Outer Zone

Hi everyone

I'm sorry I don't have time to playtest your games before deadline.
I will try them out and give feedback as soon as this month is over :)
It's looking good.

happy game making!
The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

DBoyWheeler

Spoiler
Well, the reason for the lackluster ending in my entry is because since I have a LOT of things going on in RL (especially an RL job), there really wasn't much time to plan a sufficient one.  Even WITH help, I'd just barely make it.
[close]

Anyway, after this MAGS is done (regardless of who wins), I think I might be done with MAGS for the year (I'll probably start MAGS stuff again sometimes next year).  Reason I say that is I want to focus game-making energy on an AGS thing I'm WAY behind on.

KyriakosCH

Alas, once again I won't be able to complete this on time :/ Likely will reform this to something else too...

Good luck to all contestants (nod)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Slasher

Dropping out like flies....what is the world coming to?

I hope we get more entries before the deadline?

VampireWombat

Idunno if one person is enough to be dropping like flies...

I'm still planning to have mine in by the deadline. And I still plan to have a fully playable version sometime today. There's not too much left as far as programming and such. A bit of dialog and all the stuff for two rooms.
But I am going to try one more major change. I'm simply not happy with any of the graphics. So I'm going to try high definition instead. If that doesn't work, then I'm going to go down to Monkey Island/Loom size...

Kastchey

The Outer Zone:
Spoiler
I LOVED your game. Really. It was awesome. The detailed, well thought out world is the reason enough to give it a go, and the cruel, oppressive, dystopian atmosphere immediately reminded me of BASS. Very, very impressive. If a game makes your player want to explore its world just for the sake of it, then you couldn't have done a better worldbuilding job.

In its current state, the game doesn't offer too much gameplay (it took me about 10 minutes to finish) but you had some interesting and original puzzle ideas, so I'm pretty sure that if you put some effort into expanding them so that it takes more than 2-3 actions per implant, the gameplay alone has a chance to turn into a really enjoyable experience. The dialogues were brilliant, too.

I only have one complaint... sort of.  It may be subjective, so if you are convinced to this idea feel free to ignore me.
So, have you considered revealing less of the player character's personal background at the very beginning? Because you see, if the first thing I learn about the character is that he has a wife named Helen who has decided to run off with another guy, then it makes me wonder just why on earth would I want to help that abusive stalker chase a woman who clearly doesn't want to see him anymore?
Of course, perhaps it's just me being too judgemental but I feel that for the first stage of the story, it would be more than enough to know that he wants to find someone he cares for who recklessly ventured into a dangerous wasteland.
[close]
I will leave comments for Slasher in the completed games thread :)

VampireWombat, fingers crossed for your game, hope you will manage to finish it.

VampireWombat

Quote from: Kastchey on Wed 29/08/2018 22:49:37
VampireWombat, fingers crossed for your game, hope you will manage to finish it.
Thanks. I should be able to. I didn't get as far as I hoped, but I do have enough that I can have a workable version tomorrow, even if I have to recolor sprites from Monkey Island...

Mandle

Any chance of an extension over the weekend? 8-0

Slasher

Didn't know you were in the running, Mandle..

Lock up your daughters (laugh)

VampireWombat

Ah, an extension would be nice. But I'm going to work on my game today with the assumption of not getting one.

Good luck Mandle if you are indeed making a game.

Now to figure out what Rhoda should look like...

The Outer Zone

Quote from: Kastchey on Wed 29/08/2018 22:49:37
The Outer Zone:
Spoiler
I LOVED your game. Really. It was awesome. The detailed, well thought out world is the reason enough to give it a go, and the cruel, oppressive, dystopian atmosphere immediately reminded me of BASS. Very, very impressive. If a game makes your player want to explore its world just for the sake of it, then you couldn't have done a better worldbuilding job.

In its current state, the game doesn't offer too much gameplay (it took me about 10 minutes to finish) but you had some interesting and original puzzle ideas, so I'm pretty sure that if you put some effort into expanding them so that it takes more than 2-3 actions per implant, the gameplay alone has a chance to turn into a really enjoyable experience. The dialogues were brilliant, too.

I only have one complaint... sort of.  It may be subjective, so if you are convinced to this idea feel free to ignore me.
So, have you considered revealing less of the player character's personal background at the very beginning? Because you see, if the first thing I learn about the character is that he has a wife named Helen who has decided to run off with another guy, then it makes me wonder just why on earth would I want to help that abusive stalker chase a woman who clearly doesn't want to see him anymore?
Of course, perhaps it's just me being too judgemental but I feel that for the first stage of the story, it would be more than enough to know that he wants to find someone he cares for who recklessly ventured into a dangerous wasteland.
[close]
I will leave comments for Slasher in the completed games thread :)

Thank's a lot for the kind words and the feedback! I see your point. Never thought of it that way :D
Spoiler
If there is time, I'll try to make the player have more sympathy with the character. As you should have from the start. Her reason for leaving should still be a secret though..
[close]

So, deadline is tomorrow. I still have to design and implement sound 8-0

Here is how my game looks now:

The Outer Zone - Strange narrative games and illustrated books.
http://the-outer-zone.blogspot.com/

VampireWombat

Design and implement sound? Wow.
And the updated graphics are interesting. I never would have expected the player character to be a young cyborg Papa Smurf.

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Thu 30/08/2018 11:21:56
Didn't know you were in the running, Mandle..

Lock up your daughters (laugh)

Hehehe... Yeah, something I started only about 10 days ago though and even then haven't had a ton of alone time to work on it.

I had something much more ambitious planned as I had 3 weeks off from work for summer vacation but my wife threw out her back and was off work that entire time and I had to care for her so impossible to concentrate on something like making a game.

A weekend extension will probably make or break whether I make it into this MAGS or not. I'm not even up to the part that involves censorship yet. Well, I guess I could always claim that part was censored... (laugh)

VampireWombat

Today's goals: Make the remaining graphics with minimal detail and finish up the main coding/dialog trees.
Tomorrow's goals: Add whatever finishing touches I have time and energy for, and test game several times.

And if we get the extension, I will add more detail to the backgrounds and at least make a special animation for the ending scene.

Stupot

An extension suits me. It's always more difficult for me when the 1st of the month falls on a weekend.
New Deadline is SUNDAY NIGHT 23:59 BST.

Mandle

Cheers Stu!!!

Maybe we should just make it an automatic extension until the end of Sunday if the end of the month is a Friday or Saturday?

Easier for you and everyone appreciates the extra weekend.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 31/08/2018 08:37:22
Cheers Stu!!!

Maybe we should just make it an automatic extension until the end of Sunday if the end of the month is a Friday or Saturday?

Good excuse if I ever heard one (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 31/08/2018 08:56:14
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 31/08/2018 08:37:22
Cheers Stu!!!

Good excuse if I ever heard one (laugh)

Hahaha! Well, in reality, an extension is usually asked for anyway when the month ends at the start of a weekend (usually by me, granted)...

VampireWombat

This is great news.
This weekend is supposed to actually be the start of reasonable temperatures. Now I can actually have a title screen and some random npcs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk