Black screen of death!

Started by Slasher, Sun 05/08/2018 18:43:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Emergency.... I have the back screen of death...monitor black and windows not booting up....

Can anybody help!!!!!

I am on sons computer.

Thank you.

PS is it hard to connect a laptop hard-drive to another computer to copy stuff over?

VampireWombat

That doesn't sound good.
I'd need more info. Does anything show up at all? Does it make noise?
Can you hook the laptop up to another monitor or tv to make sure it's not just the laptop screen?

And hooking a laptop hard drive to another computer depends on a lot of variables. Some laptops you can easily remove the hard drive. Then you'd just need the right cables. But some laptops are designed to not be modified by anyone but professionals.

Slasher

Well, its an old Advent Roma 1000.

At the moment the power light comes on and the fan runs but no startup screen...

What is the best way to hook up laptop to laptop?

VampireWombat

Pictures I found of the bottom makes it look like removing the hard drive should be a simple matter of removing some screws. As for what cables would be needed, I don't know enough.
And it sounds like it might just be an issue with the screen.
So, is there any way you could hook it up to a monitor or tv?

And I don't know of a way you could easily hook another laptop up to this one under the circumstances (there probably is a way, just not one I know).

Khris

You need something like this to connect the hard drive to another computer.

If it's not an old IDE one but already a SATA drive (if the connectors look like this) then you can use this instead.

As for the laptop itself, it's possible that it's just the display that's shot. If the backlight is gone, the screen will be extremely dark but Windows will boot fine.
As VampireWombat says, connect it to an external monitor and switch the output there by pressing the function key with the [_] / [_] symbol.

Slasher

Hi Khris,

The tech man said the laptop was dead...  Anyhow, he got my old desktop up and running which will serve it's purpose until my new laptop arrives next Wednesday (Lenova G-51).

He took out the hardive of the dead computer and it can, with usb leads be read on another computer so my data is safe and can be transferred..

cheers

Les

Khris

Yeah, I just saw the other thread about the game running slow at first, should've read the threads I missed from top to bottom :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk